Ashes Discussion

It should be Smith, he is easily the best option and has done his time. Giving it to Labs or Cummins is a gamble as they're largely unknown from a tactics POV and it could interfere with their game.

It think it will likely be Cummins though and it will give England a big leg up.

I know this is virtually unheard of but anyone think there could be any merit to a co-captaincy? Cummins the face and Smith the tactician.
That's probably what will happen but not officially.

Can it be Travis Head?

Just so we can say
The Aussie get the Poms best Root but the Poms still can't get Head in Australia.

Can it be Travis Head?

Just so we can say
The Aussie get the Poms best Root but the Poms still can't get Head in Australia.
If Head was a lock I would lock him in but his form for the last 18 months is questionable. We found out in the Aus A game last year how good of a tactician he was and then in the second one when Carey captained I think and how much it dropped off.

@Blindside Bronco or @1910 can’t remember which one of you brought up Handscomb but he has indeed changed his technique significantly however he got 0(2) today

@Blindside Bronco or @1910 can’t remember which one of you brought up Handscomb but he has indeed changed his technique significantly however he got 0(2) today
Nah, wasn't I.

But thanks for the info.

I always thought Pete Nevill should have got another go.

His time has passed now but there was a period there where his batting numbers alone were almost good enough for selection.

They say that the captain of the aussie cricket team is more important than the prime minister of the country so they better not **** it up

Ward just took a great catch to get rid of Bancroft. I had him in my A side and he should be there over Renshaw.

He stood up to Nes against the Bulls and I like that.

Ward just took a great catch to get rid of Bancroft. I had him in my A side and he should be there over Renshaw.

He stood up to Nes against the Bulls and I like that.

I don't think it'll take Ward long, he probably just needs a bit more cricket under his belt. He is definitely one to watch.

I always thought Pete Nevill should have got another go.

His time has passed now but there was a period there where his batting numbers alone were almost good enough for selection.
I always liked Nevill too.

There was a series against NZ in NZ which had huge hype at the time with the kiwis confident it was their time to beat us, and Neville took a screamer to remove Williamson in the first session and the Aussies never looked back from there. Pretty sure any other keeper in Aus would’ve dropped that.

Short-term option - Khawaja?
Besides Smith yeah, he’s the best option. And it’s get him in the side instead of Harris which would be another plus (I’m sure Geen and Head will be picked)

For captain I would have to pick Smith. Best player in the team and honestly who gives a **** as long as we are winning. After all, he has pretty much been the captain anyways since he got back in the side. (and surprise surprise they started winning a lot more) They just let Paine do the media stuff. Cummins doesn't need the extra workload being the spearhead of the attack. There are too many questions around the rest of the team for any other suitable captain with some not even secure in their place.
Wicketkeeper being the ashes I would prefer Wade first up if Paine is punted. Been there before and has experience with all the bowlers. Not saying he should be a lock for the entire series but I would start with him first up and look for a long term option after the ashes. We want to win these badly so a settled squad is a must here. If Wade stinks it up mid series then throw a Carey or Inglis in. We have a top order question which could we well struggle, the last thing we need is one at the bottom of the order too.

For captain I would have to pick Smith. Best player in the team and honestly who gives a **** as long as we are winning. After all, he has pretty much been the captain anyways since he got back in the side. (and surprise surprise they started winning a lot more) They just let Paine do the media stuff. Cummins doesn't need the extra workload being the spearhead of the attack. There are too many questions around the rest of the team for any other suitable captain with some not even secure in their place.
Wicketkeeper being the ashes I would prefer Wade first up if Paine is punted. Been there before and has experience with all the bowlers. Not saying he should be a lock for the entire series but I would start with him first up and look for a long term option after the ashes. We want to win these badly so a settled squad is a must here. If Wade stinks it up mid series then throw a Carey or Inglis in. We have a top order question which could we well struggle, the last thing we need is one at the bottom of the order too.

I don't see how Wade does what you are wanting. You are more describing Peirson if anyone. Wade has been poor at test level, hence being dropped and even in the World Cup (a different format), other than that semi-final, he has not been impressive at all. Wade is also a FAR worse keeper than any of Peison, Carey or Inglis, so even if he did have a blinder with the bat (which is unlikely), he is at a higher risk of undoing any of that work with the gloves than anyone else. The other advantage to going with a newbie is that this series is in Australia's conditions, an area England's medium pacers have always struggled after the first 10 overs or so.

I don't see how Wade does what you are wanting. You are more describing Peirson if anyone. Wade has been poor at test level, hence being dropped and even in the World Cup (a different format), other than that semi-final, he has not been impressive at all. Wade is also a FAR worse keeper than any of Peison, Carey or Inglis, so even if he did have a blinder with the bat (which is unlikely), he is at a higher risk of undoing any of that work with the gloves than anyone else. The other advantage to going with a newbie is that this series is in Australia's conditions, an area England's medium pacers have always struggled after the first 10 overs or so.
I would have been all in on a new keeper if they were playing the Afghanistan test first but they aren't. The ashes are our biggest test series in the calendar year, do we want to expose a complete rookie to this straight away. Its very important they make a good start to really ram home the home town advantage. Give England a sniff and they will make you pay.
I think it might be a mute point however as I expect Paine to play

I would have been all in on a new keeper if they were playing the Afghanistan test first but they aren't. The ashes are our biggest test series in the calendar year, do we want to expose a complete rookie to this straight away. Its very important they make a good start to really ram home the home town advantage. Give England a sniff and they will make you pay.
I think it might be a mute point however as I expect Paine to play
Alex Carey by no means is a rookie… he has keeped and batted at international level before specifically keeping to all 4 of our bowlers and would likely have keeped to Richardson at some stage if he gets the nod. Not a rookie. Keeping us one of those things that moving up a level doesn’t make it significantly harder. Any of Carey, Inglis and Peirson can keep at the highest of standards and all 3 of them specifically the first 2 can bat at a very high standard

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • cento
  • Pablo
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Foordy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mustafur
  • Johnny92
  • Sproj
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Alec
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.