Ashes Discussion

Australia are currently $1.24 with Sportsbet. Plenty of value there for you, seeing we are in so much trouble.
If you have so much confidence than a cheeky bet wouldn’t be out of the question for you?

Lol another no ball wicket. Albeit very very very tight call

Honestly short ball cricket is the pits.
Flicked on late, but it seems like the garbage negative Wagner short ball cricket is taking over.

Aus batters need to figure out a way to combat it... and also Starc needs to learn to bowl it.

Really the Aus batters should've figured out a plan to it by now anyway, as NZ started it 2 years ago against Smith and it's been employed against Marnus as well i.e. the use of leg slips, etc. to some success.

There's not a whole lot you can do about it unless you are supremely confident of getting on top of the ball and playing pull shots straight into the ground.

Bad balls are rewarded more than they are punished... too wide, that's ok only a dot ball... too short that doesn't matter either because we probably won't call it a wide, but if the batter somehow manages to get some bat on it then it will probably sky to one of the 6 fielders on the leg side boundary anyway.

I think umpires should look to put more scrutiny on wide balls when it's being utilised... not as much as they do for ODI's, but when their bad wide ones are so wide you can't hit it then it should be punished otherwise a pace bowler can hang it out there all day.

Don't umpires get involved when spin bowlers bowl well outside leg stump so they can't concede runs??

Why is it not the same when pace bowlers are flinging short balls outside leg stump?? It's still negative cricket to prevent runs.

Flicked on late, but it seems like the garbage negative Wagner short ball cricket is taking over.

Aus batters need to figure out a way to combat it... and also Starc needs to learn to bowl it.

Really the Aus batters should've figured out a plan to it by now anyway, as NZ started it 2 years ago against Smith and it's been employed against Marnus as well i.e. the use of leg slips, etc. to some success.

There's not a whole lot you can do about it unless you are supremely confident of getting on top of the ball and playing pull shots straight into the ground.

Bad balls are rewarded more than they are punished... too wide, that's ok only a dot ball... too short that doesn't matter either because we probably won't call it a wide, but if the batter somehow manages to get some bat on it then it will probably sky to one of the 6 fielders on the leg side boundary anyway.

I think umpires should look to put more scrutiny on wide balls when it's being utilised... not as much as they do for ODI's, but when their bad wide ones are so wide you can't hit it then it should be punished otherwise a pace bowler can hang it out there all day.

Don't umpires get involved when spin bowlers bowl well outside leg stump so they can't concede runs??

Why is it not the same when pace bowlers are flinging short balls outside leg stump?? It's still negative cricket to prevent runs.
I was thinking the same thing, I’m surprised it hasn’t been brought up by Australia yet. The umpires need call wide more often on the really short stuff.
It’s definitely a trend and there needs to be some sort of discussion about it.

Re: short bowling.

It's the only tactic that has proven to work against Smith, especially when executed well. There's little point complaining about it not being in the spirit of the game or being boring to watch.

Smith is one of the greatest to ever play the game; he needs to figure out a way to deal with it or his average is going to suffer.

On a side note, Mark Wood has been exceptional this series and deserved the 5 for. If Archer is back home taking notes it will be a good thing for the next series out here.

It's the only tactic that has proven to work against Smith, especially when executed well. There's little point complaining about it not being in the spirit of the game or being boring to watch.

Smith is one of the greatest to ever play the game; he needs to figure out a way to deal with it or his average is going to suffer.

On a side note, Mark Wood has been exceptional this series and deserved the 5 for. If Archer is back home taking notes it will be a good thing for the next series out here.
It's been Wood's go to tactic this whole innings and the back end of the first innings so be prepared for it to become the primary tactic moving forward.

England also used it against Green when they couldn't get him out in the first innings.. and teams have been using it against Marnus when they realised he scores in a similar fashion to Smith i.e. anything on his pads goes for runs, but Marnus also leaves well outside his off stump.

NZ started using the leg side play against him and just waited for him to get himself out... and I'm sure India used the leg side fields quite a lot too often bringing in the leg slips, etc. when they couldn't get him or Smith out.

You're right that batsmen will need to figure it out, because if it's dropped the best since Bradman's average by 30 odd runs then it will work against any batsmen... which it's proving to.

Also all I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to use it if they get the line right and have it going at the rib cage / head, which is what Wagner does extremely well.. but they should be getting punished with wides if they push it too far down leg or too high over their head.

If a batsmen knows that a bad wide ball will get their team runs then they will be more inclined to leave and wait out the short barrage.

At the moment balls 0.5m wide of leg stump aren't being punished, but there's no real way for a batsmen to get runs from it. It's the same when spinners bowl wide down leg, the ump starts calling them wides and the bowling team end up having to stop with the tactic, because they're not executing it correctly.

Yeah nah this is shit! Shit for everyone! Not a good look for test cricket and growing the game, if I paid to go watch this I’d be pissed off!
Love a good short ball but this is a joke, international cricket better keep an eye on this for future of the sport.

See I'd have that as a wide... he went too short outside off and got punished, then adjusted well down leg side (0.5m outside leg) and all good... batsmen can't score, but dot ball all the same.

Call that a wide and then all of a sudden the bowler is under pressure trying to bowl that sort of line. Too wide outside off, punished... too wide outside leg, punished with a wide

I know England haven't scored over 300 all series but their motivation would be significantly different if doing so means they'll win the game

Not feeling comfortable at all

Mark is 32 though at 36 years old bowling that pace will be a tough ask and without the success of the elk of Broad and Anderson I don’t think he will be selected

I know England haven't scored over 300 all series but their motivation would be significantly different if doing so means they'll win the game

Not feeling comfortable at all
Yeah they seem to have a better mindset but at the same time it will be super difficult batting. They couldn’t get up for the first innings after getting us 3-12 a thing goes against them and they give up so it will need to be pretty faultless

Mark is 32 though at 36 years old bowling that pace will be a tough ask and without the success of the elk of Broad and Anderson I don’t think he will be selected
Agreed but not sure what that has to do with my post haha.

I thought you were talking about a tandem apologies.
Nah, Archer by himself would be a great spearhead in our conditions.

Combine Archer with Robinson and they probably just need another 2 seamers to be in good shape.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • mrtij
  • Galah
  • phoenix
  • ChewThePhatt
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Wolfie
  • Brocko
  • Strop
  • Foordy
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Allo
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • NSW stables
  • Santa
  • Fozz
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.