Ashley Cooper/clipsal 500

S

Sway

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
I know some of you guys follow Motorsport, and will have heard that Ashley died last month, for those of you who dont know there is a news article below.

I know where i stand in the mater but there was alot of talk suggesting that the track is unsafe, the cars used in the fujitsu v8 series are not as safe as the V8 supercars etc, and i was wondering what you all think......

slammed into a safety barrier at turn eight of the Adelaide street course.

The Ulladulla man was being treated for severe head trauma, swelling of the brain and internal injuries in Royal Adelaide hospital but succumbed to his injuries today.

News of his death was released by the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS).

CAMS president Colin Osborne said Cooper's death was something that would be felt by the entire Australian motor sport community.

"Firstly our thoughts and sympathies go to Ashley's family and friends, particularly his wife Casey and two children and parents Alan and Maree," said Osborne.

"It is always a very sad day when any member of the motor sport community is taken from us.

"The motor racing community involves a close knit group of competitors and officials and I know that everyone will be feeling the loss of Ashley.

"CAMS will conduct its own full independent investigation to determine the circumstances leading to the incident. In the mean time, CAMS and event officials are working with the relevant civil authorities to assist with their investigations."

CAMS CEO Graham Fountain praised the actions of officials immediately following the incident.

"We have to thank our Clipsal 500 Adelaide officials for their swift and professional actions as the loss of Ashley will no doubt have an effect on our many volunteers who work tirelessly at amateur and professional motor sport events around the country each weekend.

"Our extensive counselling and support services will be offered to Ashley's family and friends as well as to the competitors and officials involved in the event to help them though this tragic time."

CAMS will provide further details on Cooper's funeral arrangements when they become available.

Being from Ulladulla myself I didn't personally know him but know plenty of people who did (including my sister).

I know that his funeral is today and that the entire town will be in mourning over this.

I think it's clear that after all these years of drivers complaining, that the track needs to be changed before next year.

However, when do they think the results of the investigation will be out?

I wouldn't be suprised if there was a seatbelt or seat failure in the car, because a crash like that with good equipement shouldn't have caused a death.

Very sad none the less.

i didn't know him...saw him when he started in the series at QR last year....that was only his 5th race in the v8's.

Aussie, what you have said interests me the most. why should the track be changed? alot of people are saying this Because of coops but he still went out there and even had a fantastic race on the saturday....along with many others and they all managed to get through the 'sweeper' with out a problem.

I'm not suggesting we change it purely based on Cooper's accident. I feel it is a very dangerous corner, and always have. Well since Clipsal has been a big deal in my life anyway.

I just think if you have the "big guns" complaining about how dangerous it is, something needs to be at least looked at.

I mean, sure, it's within the rule books, but perhaps they need to be changed. What are the speeds reacher at the corner, 200km/h?

I personally think that is far too fast for any driver.

they guys reach much higher speeds at alot of other tracks though. Bathurst is known for well everything. and they reach 300km there, but there is no change to the track. even though just 4 weeks ago there was a major roll that most believe should have killed the driver.

i really dont think the track needs to be changed. it is actually built with much higher safety standeds then are recommended. motorsport is a dangerous sport. but there are so many safety precautions in place already.

clipsal has been running for 10 years, and not once has someone died there...and that was when the track was alot less safe then it is now.

I understand the speeds reached in other tracks, but none have a corner of that angle, with those walls, and the speed all combined.

Don't get me wrong, I understand you not wanting it to change, and that's fine, and I respect that. But personally I think it should be.

I do look forward to seeing the result of the official investigation, because I feel, after the crashes of the past, that was a very survivable crash, in normal circumstances.

i appreciate the fact that you think it should be changed. but i have never seen a crash at that corner look so bad.
Glen Seton crashed at that corner a few years back, big hit, his injury? he bit his tongue and some small scratches from wear an open faced helmet.

CAMS wont be rushing the investigation into this crash. if it was quick they would have aired any info when they aired the fujitsu series on the weekend. i know it's harsh, and no one wants to hear it, i dont. but it is possible it will be a terrible racing incident.

Yep, a very terrible racing incident.

Motorsport is dangerous, and unfortunately you can't change every corner. I don't have all the facts or pretend to know everything about the sport, but the teams and officials regard safety as upmost importance. There has been many safety changes on the track, and in the cars and pits, especially in the last 5 years or so.

RIP Ashley Cooper

I'm off to the V8's in Sydney this weekend too ;)

Yes, it was a tradgedy, and yes, racing is a dangerous sport, as is any sport really.

I do however think the comments of seasoned drivers should be taken into account with this corner. They were complaining about it years before Cooper had his accident there.

I know it makes for good racing, but for me, good racing doesn't involve crashes, and the drivers complaining about not liking it.

I think if the drivers complain about something, it should certainly be looked into. And I don't believe looking into something is just admitting that it is within CAMS guidelines. They really need to re-evaluate the racing standards in Australia, and see where safety can be improved.

I mean, they are throwing around, or at least were, the idea of changing the cars from production cars, to purpose built cars like NASCAR.

This should be a very last resort where there are other things they could change first.

I don't think I would be interested in the V8's if they did get rid of the production cars. They can put as many Ford or Holden stickers on a purpose built car, but it doesn't make up for the real thing.

Thoughts?

The track is built to international specifications.

i heard all of the drivers talking about the track. James Courtney, sure he's been an international driver, F1 even and dick johnson had a yarn about it. thing is DJ was wrong with what he said.
that wasn't the first time coops drove the track....

every time there is an accident people want to change everything. all we have to do is look at QR. when richards and McLean had their accidents. everyone wanted the track changed because it was soooo dangerous. it's not..the track is great for speed, but honestly it sucks and i'm glad they are expanding it.

you can have boring races at any track and then one year on weekend everything wont go to plan....does that mean we should re design, chop and change? sure i expect that a lamp post be removed for a street race each year...but each track is built with safety in mind.
street tracks are dangerous. no one can change that ther has to be a wall. if you hit it you will have a problem. just look in 1995 Mika Hakkinen had a tracheotomy performed on him trackside after a sickening crash during the Australian Grand Prix in Adelaide, yet another serious accident. but we didn't change that one

they are not honestly going to change the cars. there has been speculation about a third manufacturer joining for years the simple answer is that it isn't going to happen. Tony Cochran wont let it. and he wont be putting production cars out there either.

the v8's are very safe. if you get an oppertunity go and have a gander at a few when you're at a race next. it's amazing what they have in there...and what they dont!

i dont mean to sound like i know it all, cause i dont. but i've grown up with these things and seen the changes. i've seen horrible accidents and deaths and i wish that they had never happened. but it does

Well we will have to agree to disagree. I have also grown up with these thigns, and I am looking at this change, not because of the crash, but from what drivers have said.

I've seen the cars, met the drivers, been in the pits, watched the crashes and drunk the beer. I know how it works, and for years that corner has been complained about.

Just because it's up to International Standards, doesn't mean the International Standards are right.

About QLD Raceway. Personally, I hate the weekend at the track. It's slow, boring, and usually very un-eventful.

QR is under construction......this track will be awesome when it's finished.

The drivers dont all have the same opinion. and the reason ppl hear about turn 8 is because you are heading towards a wall at 200km and if you dont make it, you're not gonna look good.

there is a possibility of putting a chicane in after turn 7 to slow the cars before turn 8. but that has been talked about for years without any action. there has already been so much done...that part can't be changed anymore....so should we just get rid of clipsal because of turn 8.

Well I'm sorry I'm not as knowledge as you, and certainly not good enough to get out of working and paying my bills just so I can voice what I think on a sport that I love.

I said nothing about not having Clipsal played out, all I was saying was that I persaonlly beleive something should be done.

And I'm sorry, but just because you have been there, and grew up with them, doesn't make you any more knowledged about changes that should or shouldn't be made.

I've seen a lot of league in my life, and that doesn't make me an expert on the safety of the game, or how it is played.

mate we;re lookin at this from different sides. i'm not a spectator. dont expect that you would see my point of view. i can' just sit and watch a race like it's just a race. it's my family out there.
never said you didn't have the knowledge. just get the facts right
never meant to cause you any offence

So they're not up to international standards afterall. What was that about knowing everything and getting my facts right? :?

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  • Broncorob
  • Santa
  • thenry
  • azza.79
  • Culhwch
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Manofoneway
  • broncsgoat
  • Bish
  • kman
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.