Aus v Sri Lanka ODI Series

Jeba

Jeba

International
Mar 4, 2008
Well, another example tonight of Australia being in a winning position and not being aggressive enough to deliver the killer blow.

Terrible performance for the last 2 wickets tonight. Absolutely terrible. If Michael Clarke continues to captain this side after Ricky Ponting, we will see the same results, or worse. Mathews and Dinesh were hitting them high towards mid-on and mid-off all night yet the catchers are at deep mid-wicket, deep cover and fine leg. And a short fine leg to Mitchell Johnson, a left arm over the wicket bowler bowling across the pitch.

And failure to bowl Steve Smith when the others were going shithouse. Clarke said after the match that Smith had a back injury but he seemed to be in no discomfort after he made the last run-out.

Problem is though, Clarke probably is the best man for the job.

Aye, what a dismal performance. I mean, they were bloody eight fa!!!

Doherty did pretty well though, on debut.

Steve Smith had a back complaint that is why he didn't bowl again. Clarke was rubbish with field placings last night, Clarke can't be blamed for hos quicks not being able to bowl bouncers. Overall Aussis cricket needs a wake up call and I hope this is it.

We probably need this unfortunately, and more of it.

We've been mediocre for a while now but the denial and bromance behind the scenes didn't waiver a bit.

Not that I wish it to happen, but it may just take the most inept Australian summer in recent history, including an Ashes humiliation, to finally get the shake-up (in all areas) that was due a long time ago.

Last night was just inexcusable from all concerned.

Good work by Sri Lanka. At least the game wasn't boring. Cricket has just got interesting again.

The Sri Lankan fans that turned up last night created a tremendous atmosphere for such a small crowd (relative to the size of the MCG).

great game, shame we didn't finish it off. Johnson bowled shithouse, Doherty is a revelation, little bit to take away from this game as a positive, not much though.

Clarke is shit.

Sucked in!!!! I hate our cricket team at the moment. They are just a bunch of pretty boys who care more about getting in the gossip pages than winning cricket matches.

And geez it was painfull listening to the commentary team. I forgot how much I hate them (except Richie).

Bring on NRL season 2011!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad they lost.

They are so bloody arrogant.

When are they arrogant?? I am glad they lose because the selectors have been pathetic ever since Warney and Gilly retired...

They are arrogant whenever they are on or off the field.

I agree they are an arrogant bunch. They still think they are invincible without Warne, McGrath, Hayden, Gilchrist and Langer.

Honestly, a loss in this year's Ashes series could be the kick in the arse we so desperately need. Should lead to a complete clean-out and a start from scratch, and a major rebuilding stage for a few years. Will be tough but just the way it needs to happen.

The biggest problem in Australian cricket is the selectors. We should have been re-building after the last ashes but the team hasn't really changed.

Yep, they're living in the past. When that finally dawns on them, we might just start to get the true rebuilding process underway (ie. building a team to last a long time from here on in).

Look at India and some of the other teams that chuck 18 year olds in and leave them there for a bit. Australia you get 2 tests and if your not the next warne or bradman your punted.

Plus, Australia can't really afford to rest players any more, the quality of depth isn't as good as it used to be. There's too much chopping and changing, especially in the ODIs where they should be looking to build a stable side before the World Cup next year.

ethos said:
Plus, Australia can't really afford to rest players any more, the quality of depth isn't as good as it used to be. There's too much chopping and changing, especially in the ODIs where they should be looking to build a stable side before the World Cup next year.

Agreed. I cannot remember the last time we played a series of games with a settled side in ODIs. It's beyond a joke and no doubt contributing in some way to the overall problem. There's nothing wrong with blooding blokes with potential - that's what we want - but just picking random players from domestic Cricket out of a hat (which is almost convinced is literally what they're doing) and throwing them into the team for a game or two is ridiculous.

Major JW Hochstetter said:
ethos said:

Agreed. I cannot remember the last time we played a series of games with a settled side in ODIs. It's beyond a joke and no doubt contributing in some way to the overall problem. There's nothing wrong with blooding blokes with potential - that's what we want - but just picking random players from domestic Cricket out of a hat (which is almost convinced is literally what they're doing) and throwing them into the team for a game or two is ridiculous.

This. It's like they're saying "Oh, we're playing at the MCG? Who made 50 for the Bushrangers the other day? Give him a game".

As far as Marcus North goes, well I really think he'd be a better captain on the field than Michael Clarke, problem is he will struggle to back it up with runs on the board. Similar to Chris Simpson at the Bulls last season.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Lurker
  • marw
  • Robboi_321
  • Sproj
  • Financeguy
  • davidp
  • jd87
  • Galah
  • Maroon4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.