NEWS Badel with Bird

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Badel speaks with Jack Bird in tomorrow's Sunday Mail.

Since signing a four year deal for 3.5 million dollars - second highest player after Milford - he's had three operations on his shoulder, sternum and knees and played only 17 games. Has shunned the media since this season's ACL tear, but has been back training for a month. Is now 8 kilo lighter - his optimal weight.

The surgeon took some hamstring tendon for his ACL so rehab has been slow. He's been full running and just started change-of-direction. Next is full contact work, after Christmas. Reckons he'll be back for round one.

Admits he needs to lift his game. Says he hasn't lost his ability but needs to regain confidence, have fun, and silence the haters who say he's been a waste of money.

Unlike Darius, he has read social media, and it did get to him. He's off the papers and socials now. Is desperate to repay club and fans. Has no plans to quit the Broncos and wants to play centre, or what is best for the team. Knows he faces stiff competition and doesn't have "the runs on the board" to pick and choose, so If there's a place for him, he'll be happy with that.

Rang the Broncos after reading he'd been released. First he'd heard of it. They said "you aren't leaving." Doesn't bother him because he knows it's just the typical shit Badel makes up to help sell papers.

Ends with a prayer: “hopefully the man upstairs just gives me some luck … and no more injuries.”

Last edited:
Hopefully he has a bit of luck now with injuries would be our center pairing sorted if he recaptures his best form.

Ffs, don't let him go down again. The man just wants to play footy

Love the indirect, unspoken, but implied paraphrasing of the possiblitity that Badels writing is shit house!

i've said it before and i'll say it again now ... Bird will prove himself an asset for us.

a staggs/bird center pairing will be lethal ... even if they are not scoring tries themselves their wingers will be ...

question is what side do you play him?

On Boyds side, whatever that ends up being. Basically he's gonna need to carry him by getting him outside his opposite number.

Left centre, I know he prefers right but Staggs has cemented that side for now imo. Jack killed it with Oates at the start of the year so they should just roll with it and get him coming in a bit less, might lessen the injury risk.

Most interesting thing from the article is Bird ditching reading social media crap. That's A thing Boyd was criticized for doing. Wonder how long before the haters start calling Bird delusional🤔

Last edited:
8kg lighter, and it shows. In his recent training photos, he looks fit and strong. Can't wait for the season to roll around.

That's the thing Boyd was criticized for doing. Wonder how long before the haters start calling Bird delusional

Pretty sure "the thing" that Boyd's been criticized for is poor performances on the field or his lack of awareness of his current ability, rather than his social media habits. What's Bird going to learn from social media, that he's injured a lot and fans are frustrated? He probably already knows that.

It's possible to be self aware without reading social media, the "haters" just wish that Boyd would wake up to how he is letting the team down. With that being said, most of this frustration should be directed towards the coach and higher ups at the Broncos.

i've said it before and i'll say it again now ... Bird will prove himself an asset for us.

a staggs/bird center pairing will be lethal ... even if they are not scoring tries themselves their wingers will be ...

Again, no one has ever doubted he’s a good player (I don’t think) but he has never been worth his reported price tag.

Most interesting thing from the article is Bird ditching reading social media crap. That's the thing Boyd was criticized for doing. Wonder how long before the haters start calling Bird delusional🤔
Bird sounds pretty depressed. He's been universally slammed for what was probably the highest point in his life: that massive contract. And hasn't been able to live up to it because of injuries. Not through lack of talent, trying or being an asshole.

He's trying to get his mojo back. Good luck to him. We could use it too.
[automerge]1575756284[/automerge]
Again, no one has ever doubted he’s a good player (I don’t think) but he has never been worth his reported price tag.
This is exactly what he's been reading on the socials. Over and over. And he's been unable to answer.

Last edited:
8kg lighter, and it shows. In his recent training photos, he looks fit and strong. Can't wait for the season to roll around.
We'll need him to get his lateral movement back. We paying for his step more than speed.

Last edited:
Sure he's been a waste of money, but only because he's been Injured the whole time and didn't get put into a good position that reflects his pay packet. The $700-900k salary that's reported is too much for a centre. There isn't a centre in the game who deserves that in my opinion. Latrell is the best when he's 'on' but is too inconsistent, people like Joseph Manu are really strong but I think $500-600k is more appropriate.

The thing with Bird though, is he does seem to put the effort in which is good. Sure it's annoying hes hardly played but I don't hold anything against him at all. I just think he was overpaid by the Broncos for the position he plays.

Pretty sure "the thing" that Boyd's been criticized for is poor performances on the field or his lack of awareness of his current ability, rather than his social media habits. What's Bird going to learn from social media, that he's injured a lot and fans are frustrated? He probably already knows that.

It's possible to be self aware without reading social media, the "haters" just wish that Boyd would wake up to how he is letting the team down. With that being said, most of this frustration should be directed towards the coach and higher ups at the Broncos.
Correct in a sense. I intended to say 'a thing' and I was looking in isolation at Boyds stance on the media . Kind of think it's not necessary to inform me why people put shit on Boyd.

Correct in a sense. I intended to say 'a thing' and I was looking in isolation at Boyds stance on the media . Kind of think it's not necessary to inform me why people put shit on Boyd.
My take from your post was exactly the same as that taken by Finbar, and I do not recall Boyd being criticised for not reading social media, rather, it was his lack of insight into his own form. The analogy you attempted to draw was based on a flawed premise.

Bird has the potential to be our match winner, no doubts. I was skeptical when we signed him, but from what I saw at the beginning of the 2019 season, he was a standout in our team.
IF he stays fit and injury free I think he will regain his origin jersey this year and be a massive weapon in this backline.
Fingers crossed he gets a good run in his final 2yrs of his current contract.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Aldo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bronx48
  • Fozz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Culhwch
  • Midean
  • Morkel
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • westy316
  • winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • Organix
  • broncsgoat
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.