Benji is back: Bennett

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Broncos coach Wayne Bennett believes Benji Marshall is back to his best after another outstanding performance for Brisbane in their 30-20 win over the Canberra Raiders on Saturday night.

It was vintage Marshall, with the 32-year-old's fancy footwork and sublime passing game bamboozling the Raiders' defence time and time again.

Marshall produced two try assists and looked threatening every time he ran at the line in what was his best game of the season.

Bennett is now reaping the rewards of signing Marshall in the pre-season; a move that many thought would not pay off for the master coach.

But it has, and Bennett could not be happier.

"I thought he was really good. It was just nice to see him being Benji," Bennett said.

"We all loved certain aspects of his game and what he always brought, but he's probably had three or four years of not being that player that he was.

"He hadn't lost his ability. He'd probably just lost a bit of his enthusiasm.

"He's been great at the Broncos. He's great with all the players and he's really added something to our team."

Marshall started the match with Kodi Nikorima in the halves, but unlike Marshall, Nikorima struggled to make an impact on the game.

After a tough start Nikorima was benched in the 33rd minute, and Bennett said his young halfback would learn from the experience.

"He was getting targeted a fair bit. There were a lot of guys running at him," he said.

"I thought he was pretty solid, but we just needed him to take a bit of control there. We were losing our way during the last 15-20 minutes of the first half.

"A halfback's job is to take control and he's a young halfback so he will be better for that experience.

"I intended to put him back in the second half but the way the game was going it just didn't really work out."

The main reason Nikorima did not return was the form of Ben Hunt off Brisbane's bench.

Hunt replaced Nikorima and thrived, setting up two tries and forcing four goal-line dropouts in a commanding performance.

It was a great response from Hunt who was playing his first game back in the NRL since being dropped to the Intrust Super Cup in Round 14, and Bennett was pleased with the way Hunt applied himself during his return to the top grade.

"I don't think anyone was disappointed with the way Ben played tonight. We were all pleased with what he did," he said.

"As I said when I sent him back to the Intrust Super Cup... We need Ben to be at his best, not his second best."

http://www.nrl.com/benji-back-to-his-best-bennett/tabid/10874/newsid/109299/default.aspx

The return of Bunj has really thrown a spanner in the forums works. He was meant to be Qcup all yr, the Pearl was confused as to why he was here.

Bennett the master

It's going to be very interesting who starts next week.

Sounds like Benji and Hunt.

Would be hard to deny after the Raiders, but perhaps bringing Hunt on from the bench would be the better option. Hunt is really good at playing off the back of momentum - less good at establishing it.

I hope for knik it remains the same line up. You can't promote a bloke to half and then drop him after a game or two. We're not NSW! Knik needs to be allowed to develop as a player. That means learning from his mistakes, rather than them costing him his spot.
Hunt is playing well. That should guarantee him the role he's in. Marshall should be allowed to to play 5/8 until seasons end. We now have a half that is stepping up when it gets tough, rather than when we're on top.
Milford if he comes back replaces knik, assuming players continue to perform in their roles. He could possibly swap with hunt for a game or two until fit. Knik plays qld cup as a halve with a mission to be there next year.

I hope Marshall is in the side when Milford returns.

I don't rate Benji as a halfback, so I would put Milford there since he has playing more like a halfback this year.

Kodi to go back to QLD Cup to continue developing his game for next year.

Hunt to remain on the bench unless he can get back to his 2015 form. If he does, it would be hard to leave him out of the side. Milford and Hunt were arguably the most dangerous halves combination of the 2015 season, the way they would combine with each other to produce a lot of brilliant moments.

I hope for knik it remains the same line up. You can't promote a bloke to half and then drop him after a game or two. We're not NSW! Knik needs to be allowed to develop as a player. That means learning from his mistakes, rather than them costing him his spot.
Hunt is playing well. That should guarantee him the role he's in. Marshall should be allowed to to play 5/8 until seasons end. We now have a half that is stepping up when it gets tough, rather than when we're on top.
Milford if he comes back replaces knik, assuming players continue to perform in their roles. He could possibly swap with hunt for a game or two until fit. Knik plays qld cup as a halve with a mission to be there next year.
Knik leaves a massive hole in the defensive line and he really doesn't light it up offensively either. He would be a big risk starting against Melb which is why Bennett will probably go with Hunt/Benji as they are a much safer option and their experience will give them the best chance of toppling the best side in the comp. Niko needs to be chucked back to Norths to work on a few things which might enable him to be the number one HB in the years to come. Personally, I have my doubts.

I hope Marshall is in the side when Milford returns.

I don't rate Benji as a halfback, so I would put Milford there since he has playing more like a halfback this year.

Kodi to go back to QLD Cup to continue developing his game for next year.

Hunt to remain on the bench unless he can get back to his 2015 form. If he does, it would be hard to leave him out of the side. Milford and Hunt were arguably the most dangerous halves combination of the 2015 season, the way they would combine with each other to produce a lot of brilliant moments.

I think they can all play a key role for us

Lets be honest , to find a playmaking role for Benji would mean a major reshuffle.

How about Benji to 5/8. Milford to Fullback . Boyd to centre and Moga to bench where he could fill in as a foward or a back.

I know I am probably going against popular and accepted opinion , but I have never thought of Milford as a natural fit at 5/8 . Bennett has been forced to try and mould him into a 5/8 , because we already had a great full back in Boyd. IMO it has only been moderately successful.

Boyd could equally be a very classy centre , Milford a fulllback in the Billy Slater mold , leaving Benji to weave his magic at 5/8 which would also take some of the pressure off Hunt .

Off course , an injury or two would put Benji in the frame anyway , but nobody wants that.

For the good of the team ,Bennett moved Locky to 5/8 when he was a sensational full back . How about vice versa for Milf ? Only I certainly dont rate Milf such a sensational 5/8 as Locky was a fullback.

Lets be honest , to find a playmaking role for Benji would mean a major reshuffle.

How about Benji to 5/8. Milford to Fullback . Boyd to centre and Moga to bench where he could fill in as a foward or a back.

I know I am probably going against popular and accepted opinion , but I have never thought of Milford as a natural fit at 5/8 . Bennett has been forced to try and mould him into a 5/8 , because we already had a great full back in Boyd. IMO it has only been moderately successful.

Boyd could equally be a very classy centre , Milford a fulllback in the Billy Slater mold , leaving Benji to weave his magic at 5/8 which would also take some of the pressure off Hunt .

Off course , an injury or two would put Benji in the frame anyway , but nobody wants that.

For the good of the team ,Bennett moved Locky to 5/8 when he was a sensational full back . How about vice versa for Milf ? Only I certainly dont rate Milf such a sensational 5/8 as Locky was a fullback.

Milford doesn't seem to have the speed, agility,acceleration or the support play that he had back in 2015. Meanwhile his ball playing and kicking has gotten stronger. I'd probably wouldn't move him back anymore, unless he rediscovered his running game and support play.

Surel
Milford doesn't seem to have the speed, agility,acceleration or the support play that he had back in 2015. Meanwhile his ball playing and kicking has gotten stronger. I'd probably wouldn't move him back anymore, unless he rediscovered his running game and support play.

Surely Milf should still be in his prime and stir posses all his speed. it seems to me that at 5/8 , more of his runs have to involve jinking and stepping back in , rather then exsplosive gap running as he did at Canberra. I could imagine Benji sending Milford through gaps to devastating effect.

While I think Milford still needs to take his game to the next level (and lets not forget he is only 22), Wayne Bennett, Mal Maninga, Kev Walters, Thurston, Corey Parker, Hodgo, and Cronk have all spoken about Milford like him being a mainstay origin half is a foregone conclusion. I would imagine these guys are a pretty good judge of ability and potential.

Adding to that, these comments have been made during a time where QLD have about 6 or 7 halves that are realistic chances of being origin calibre.

We actually had Milford before Bennett even signed back on with the club.

He could have made Milford fullback and just moulded Boyd into a 5/8, which is something he is apparently thinking about doing, Boyd at 5/8 part I mean. He had options. He didn't have to mould Milford into a 5/8.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Tmac
  • Mr Fourex
  • FACTHUNT
  • jd87
  • Aldo
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Kev_Guz
  • Skyblues87
  • Tim K
  • MrTickyMcG
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Browny
  • Santa
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Astro
  • Griffo
  • Alec
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.