Bennett considers Jack Bird at lock in forward pack shake-up

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRISBANE’S forward pack is facing a shake-up, with $3.5 million recruit Jack Bird firming for a future at lock as coach Wayne Bennett prepares for life without chief enforcer Adam Blair.

It is believed Bennett is considering handing Bird the No. 13 jumper next season and returning Maroons lock Josh McGuire to the front row to cover for the potential loss of Blair.

NSW State of Origin utility Bird has been frustrated with his lack of opportunities at centre for Cronulla and was tipped to be moved into the halves at Brisbane to get him closer to the action.

However, the growing uncertainty over Blair’s future at the Broncos has prompted Bennett to explore a contingency plan that involves Bird launching his career at Brisbane in the forwards.

Blair is at the centre of a bidding war between the Knights and the Warriors, who have tabled a $2.4 million deal that involves a job at the club in retirement.

The Kiwi Test star will decide his future this week but is leaning toward the Knights, mindful of the upheaval of moving his wife and two children to New Zealand.

Bird has limited experience at lock but Broncos legend Darren Lockyer, a member of Brisbane’s recruitment-and-retention committee, said he could prove one of the club’s greatest imports locking the scrum.

“Jack’s exact position for the Broncos is yet to be determined, but lock is a great position for him,” Lockyer said.

“He could be one of the best recruits we’ve seen at the Broncos.

“If Adam Blair isn’t there, you could always push Josh McGuire back into the front row and bring Jack into lock.

“Jack does a good job in the centres but sometimes he doesn’t get enough football out there. I like the idea of playing him at lock because it will get him more involved.’’

Blair believes Bird will bring an extra dimension to Brisbane’s offence with his speed, strength, skill and dynamic straight-line running.

McGuire has had a fine season at lock, including a superb Origin campaign for Queensland, but is the logical Plan B replacement if Blair quits Brisbane at season’s end.

“Moose (McGuire) won’t like that (losing the lock position to Bird),” Blair said with a grin.

“Josh will have to step up if I move on and hopefully Sammy Thaiday hangs around to help out the younger forwards.

“I have never met Jack Bird but watching him he seems like a handy player.

‘‘He will be a great acquisition for the Broncos.

“We play a really good brand of football and I am sure it will really suit his game.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/7fd7fcfbe74a0a47ab4a320e7a3e2885

The media have as much idea as we do... none... the broncos coaching teams plans are locked in a vault all the time and you can tell it frustrates the media so they just guess

Should've just kept Arrow for Lock.
Come on, seriously...
Arrow will have a great career and has been solid in first grade but jack bird is an origin main stay who won rookie of the year and is one of the best talents in the game. TPJ and McGuire is ahead of arrow anyway, if Bennett thinks lock is birds best position he is worth shifting McGuire to prop for... I know you're not saying that arrow is a better player then bird but to even suggest he is a comparable option is ludicrous, maybe faaaar in the future but not now. Let's not forget he is only in the 17 because of ofa's suspension

Bird trying to backflip to stay at the Shire on top of him not getting a halves position. Yeah that's gunna work out great. Nothing like a player playing a position he doesn't want to play at a club he doesn't want to be at.

Come on, seriously...
Arrow will have a great career and has been solid in first grade but jack bird is an origin main stay who won rookie of the year and is one of the best talents in the game. TPJ and McGuire is ahead of arrow anyway, if Bennett thinks lock is birds best position he is worth shifting McGuire to prop for... I know you're not saying that arrow is a better player then bird but to even suggest he is a comparable option is ludicrous, maybe faaaar in the future but not now. Let's not forget he is only in the 17 because of ofa's suspension
Bird trying to backflip to stay at the Shire on top of him not getting a halves position. Yeah that's gunna work out great. Nothing like a player playing a position he doesn't want to play at a club he doesn't want to be at.

Hahaha surely you're not serious? What's your source for his unhappiness? Rothfield? That whole "wanting to backflip" crap just got proven it was wrong by his father and Bennett. Stop believing whatever the Sydney media say mate

Hahaha surely you're not serious? What's your source for his unhappiness? Rothfield? That whole "wanting to backflip" crap just got proven it was wrong by his father and Bennett. Stop believing whatever the Sydney media say mate

Don't forget this is the same media that made out that Bennett had lost the locker room......Seriously people believe this crap.

There was an article from the Origin period this year about Bird, and he says Lock is his favourite position.

Bird didn't want to backflip. Rothfield (ie: the Sharks) wanted him to.

He was never promised a halves spot and unless we have to do a reshuffle for injury / suspension reasons, is unlikely to be given one. He will be at lock or at left centre I'd suggest.

I think he will work out just fine. NRL rookie of the year in his first year, Origin player and already a GF winner. He will bring plenty to our club.

Now, if we could just find that superstar prop we are missing...

Last edited:
I think it would be a great move to put him at lock. Real strong runner and has a lot of aggression sometimes good to have. The problem though he would need to gain at least 4-5 kilos over the off season to get himself ready for a prop like position.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Jedhead
  • Lurker
  • Pablo
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Harry Sack
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Dreaglor
  • theshed
  • Redfern_1980
  • marw
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.