Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Pearson j 180807 jo 1 5

Bennett happy with next generation of Broncos talent

July 8, 2018

Brisbane's history has been littered with efforts at State of Origin time by "the Baby Broncos" and coach Wayne Bennett would have a big smile of contentment inside of what the 2018 version is capable of producing.

The Broncos had "50 percent changes" in the team that thrashed Gold Coast on Sunday.

Brisbane tragics will never forget the Babes of 2002 that, without 11 Origin stars, beat a near full-strength Wests Tigers 28-14 at Campbelltown with young little-known players at the time like Casey McGuire, Brett Seymour, Corey Parker, Scott Prince, Shane Walker, Brad Meyers, Nathan Friend and Kris Kahler.

The Broncos have prided themselves on having the depth to cover the tough Origin period, and unleashing new stars at that time, and Sunday's side featured several players who are set to make their mark.

It contained David Fifita, just 18, in his second appearance; 20-year-old Kotoni Staggs in his fourth; Jake Turpin, 21, on debut; Jonus Pearson in his 11th; Jamayne Isaako, 22, in his 16th and Jayden Su’A, 20, in his 22nd. Payne Haas, 19, would have been there if not injured.

"We had seven players missing today, six of them are either in the Origin squad or had been Origin players and injured," said coach Wayne Bennett.

"We put another team on the park just about with 50 percent changes and I thought they all did a great job. It shows we have good depth and a lot of quality players coming through. It makes it a good place.

"It's a pity Payne isn’t playing for us as well because if he was fit he'd be there."

Fifita, the first NRL player born in the year 2000 (February 25), showed his unquestioned potential while Staggs, who proved unstoppable before being taken off the field with concussion in the 27th minute, is a phenomenal talent.

"I like what David brings because at the moment he is not trying to be the star of the show," Bennett said of Fifita.

"He knows he has an important role to play, which is making sure he is making his tackles and fitting his carries in and not trying to do any more than that.

"And I'm pleased about that because I don't want him getting in front of himself, he has a lot more to show us yet but it will be a year or two before that comes to the fore."

When you add more seasoned young forwards Joe Ofahengaue, 23, Matthew Lodge, 24 and Tevita Pangai jnr, 22, it lends to the argument that the Broncos are filled with more blossoming talent than they have ever been.

Source: NRL.com

No lies detected. Even if this season ultimately amounts to nothing comp wise, we can walk away happy that we have unearthed a gold rush of footy talent across the whole squad.

I said it in the post game thread and I’ll say it again, Pearson was outstanding. Really impressed with strong, hard carries, stinging defence, safe as houses (although not truly tested) and scored a good try with a little bit of work to do.

He’s been criticised from pillar to post on here (and I’ll be honest, after his last showing I never wanted to see him in the team again), but boy he showed what he’s capable of yesterday. Credit must be given when it’s due and I think the best way to do that is ask a question; did anyone notice Oates wasn’t there yesterday?

If Oates leaves and this kid gets a solid go at it, he could prove a very handy replacement.

Yesterday he showed why he’s been compared to JYY. I know it’s only one game, but that was a JYY game.

Good luck to him I say!

Oh and aside from a couple of drops (one was a hard pass to take, the other literally a couple of seconds before half time), Mago is proving to be a real handful with some if his runs. Seems like he’s really hard to bring down. Promising signs.

The other usual suspects continued to impress too - gees we could be some team in a few years time.

Last edited:
"I like what David brings because at the moment he is not trying to be the star of the show," Bennett said of Fifita.

"He knows he has an important role to play, which is making sure he is making his tackles and fitting his carries in and not trying to do any more than that.

"And I'm pleased about that because I don't want him getting in front of himself, he has a lot more to show us yet but it will be a year or two before that comes to the fore."

Source: NRL.com

It's an important point and one that stood out to me with Haas before he made his debut.

I thought of Taylor v Haas last night. So I pulled out a few DVD’s of Taylor playing for Toowoomba and compared them over Haas’ seven ISC games.

Taylor was 17 years old and Haas is 18 so they were similar experiences levels and age.
Taylor would do freakishly skilful things, drift across the field and throw cut out passes, chip kick over a fullback after he made a bust and carry the ball in one hand. That was all just the one game I watched. It wasn’t sustainable though- you can’t do that for 12 years and have a consistent career. It was great to watch and the excitement over him was off the charts because really what prop does that?

Haas; and I have commented several times on this over the last seven weeks it's a huge stand out for me, is no risk football. Normally when a guy comes into ISC he over plays his hand a bit trying to impress with an off-load or a try pushing 10 people out of the way. Haas hasn’t taken a single risk in seven games.

Haas has off-loaded 8 times in seven games and four of those were in one game against Souths. He’s missed two tackles in seven games and made 161. He has made 33 tackle busts from 91 hit ups and av 137m. He’s a great support player surprisingly- he always trials along supporting guys.

He's played against the best pack in the Bears- and in a losing side down a man kept plugging. He's played in pouring rain with Carney directing guys at him and he hasn't missed a tackle.

So he runs hard, makes his tackles and supports up the middle. You can keep doing that for 13 years. I have been impressed by his discipline to not take risks more so than Taylor ability to take risks.

Fifita I am more surprised by, because earlier this year he wasn't showing the same discipline he was pretty loose and just using his talent in MM got better in ISC and then better again in NRL.

Both of them have shown great maturity to understand that you can't run over five guys and flick passes. Fifita has been a sponge and understands his role.

Carrigan too has shown the same level of football awareness in the ISC and this week in 20's camp he's been a terrific leader he's been in terrible teams this year in Wynnum and Residents and still been going and showing older guys.

He was best on ground for Queensland before Origin two and he will be again before Origin three.
Three impressive men so far in not really doing too much but very simple things.

The single best thing about the talent available is that it makes those guys who make the game day squad work harder to keep their position.

The single best thing about the talent available is that it makes those guys who make the game day squad work harder to keep their position.

with the exception of a half

With all this abundance of great young forwards how can we push 1 out because of Bird.

With all this abundance of great young forwards how can we push 1 out because of Bird.

They are all mainly back rowers and Props? If Bird goes to the forwards it will be as a lock

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • whykickamoocow
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • bb_gun
  • broncos4life
  • Dash
  • Hoof Hearted
  • broncsgoat
  • bert_lifts
  • heartly87
  • Financeguy
  • azza.79
  • Confidor
  • davidp
  • Johnny92
  • Redfern_1980
  • Justwin
  • Fitzy
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.