RUMOUR Bennett to return to Red Hill?

Bom Dia Hello GIF

You could almost have predicted a story like this coming out this week. Standard Bennett tactics, try and destabilise the opponent in the week leading up to playing them.
Not sure Bennett would want to destabilise the opponent this week. I reckon he would be keen for them to just keep purring along oh so smoothly as usual.

If you have the opportunity to have Wayne involved with the club in any way then you do it. No questions asked.

Of course we have to eventually move on, but that's alot easier to do with Wayne managing the transition. We've all seen what happens when the club tries to go it alone.

Despite any personal opinions, sour grapes and reservations... the fact remains that the Broncos are a much better club with Wayne in the fold and having him return would be a huge boost and the quickest and most effective way to get things back on course.

Get him on board in any capacity you can, this is a no brainer.

I'd like for the ideal scenario to become reality ie we become a powerhouse again with Wayne overseeing the football department and he sets us up one last time before riding off into the sunset, but I fear his presence alone will undermine Kevvie a bit, let alone whether or not he could control himself and not take over the team, even somewhat unintentionally.

More clickbait. There is no way this (a return to the broncos) would happen.

If he were to take up a coaching consultant role, i think it would be for the expansion team.

Sorry, it's never going to happen, and here's why:

The NRL is about 5 minutes away from announcing which Brisbane expansion bid is getting the green light. Do you think it's just a coincidence that almost overnight this has gone from a distant proposal to something being vigorously rushed through by the NRL at this very moment, of all possible moments, in spite of the evidence suggesting the competition is as lopsided as it's been since probably the late 90's?

The Broncos, for the first time in their 30+ year history suck. The club is on it's knees and seemingly hasn't got a friend in the world. Now, I'm not suggesting it was the NRL that put us there, but you'd be a fool to think they'd waste this opportunity to strike while the iron is hot. They'll jam this club in as quickly as they feasibly can, and if they can do anything at all to help it be successful, you can bet your bottom dollar they will. V'Landys has a monumental ego and he would simply not tolerate a club he was personally involved in choosing not being an initial raging success. He'd likely see this as his legacy in the game and would be desperate to make it a winning one.

The single best thing the NRL can do to achieve this is to ensure they act while the Broncos are at their weakest and least popular, and that they give the new side as much ammo to throw at their big brother rivals as possible. The chance to sell the story of Wayne Bennett riding back into Brisbane with a new club to stick it to his old club that threw him out is simply far too juicy a prospect to pass up.

Bennett to Brisbane 2.0 is a formality. The NRL would almost certainly help pay for it if it came to it.

I dont quite agree with the conspiracy the NRL is trying to **** the Broncos with a new team close by. I do however think the NRL is looking for financial ways out of the predicament Greenburg left the game in. Having an extra 2 teams brings much more financial income through television deals etc, something near 10-15m per new team would be gained straight away.

We also dont know what NRL HQ has sold as the promise to future TV deals, they could well have committed all but on paper for this revenue stream.

Here's all the blither clipped from various sources. Excuse the repetition, but Bennett has rolled out the same line more than once. I don't see anything new in here. Looks like a slow news day story, which Bennett will get dragged back into to do his usual dance with the media:

Wayne Bennett:

“I’m not going into the Broncos specifically, but I will say this ... I’m a free agent. I like the fact that I will be going back to Brisbane, I will reside back there and whatever comes up I will consider."

“I am going to leave myself as a free agent. I am going home to live in Brisbane full-time at the end of the footy season. That’s my plan. Souths know about my position and after that who knows what I will do.”

“Souths are keen for me to do something, so there is an option. Nothing is off the table. There is so much up in the air. I’ve got a number of options. If someone wants me in some capacity, I will make a decision.”

“Souths and myself have had some discussions around my future. I am going home to live in Brisbane full-time at the end of the footy season. That’s my plan. Souths know about my position and after that who knows what I will do."

“Souths are keen for me to stay on in some capacity. They have said it doesn’t mean I would have to stay in Sydney to do that, but I am not making any decisions around what I will do next year until I get to Brisbane and I will sort myself out then."

“I’m contracted to Souths for this year and then after that I’m a free agent. I’ve got nowhere to go (in 2022). I haven’t done any deals with anyone. I haven’t agreed to anything. There’s a number of strong applicants bidding to become Brisbane’s second team and they will need a coach, so I won’t rule anything out.”

Badel (on TV):

“I think in his heart he would desire a return to Red Hill. Of course there are political complexities with what happened with his exit and what happened with his sacking and the board in 2018, but if they can overcome those hurdles, I know privately Kevvy Walters is open to having Wayne Bennett back.”

“He says he’s got a number of options at his disposal, staying on at Souths in a consultancy role. There’s also been interest from the Redcliffe and the Brisbane Jets prospective bid teams. Look, he won’t be shy of options but I think in his heart he would desire a return to Red Hill.

“We talk about Adam Reynolds and the possibility of him leaving Redfern and Wayne Bennett will be doing the same at the end of the season. Of course his contract is up, but he has told Souths bosses he’ll be moving back to Queensland on a permanent basis. South Sydney were keen to keep him, perhaps as a coaching director. Wayne Bennett says he’ll be going back to Queensland."

“It opens the door for a potential return to Red Hill and a possible reunification with Kevin Walters the man he knows so well. He needs some help and senior leadership, perhaps that leadership could come in the form of Wayne Bennett.”

Kevin Walters:

“I don’t want to make any comment on that. That’s a double-edged sword for me. There’s no drama between me and Wayne at all. I could pick up the phone to him today and we’d be fine.”

Brent Read (on TV):

“Does everyone remember what happened when Wayne left? He torched the joint. He tried to sue them, threatened to sue them. The people who got rid of him are still there. He’s not going back there, not unless the entire board goes. They’re not going to turn around and put their hand up saying, ‘We got it wrong’. So it’s just insane at the moment. The very thought of it is madness.”

Rabbitohs boss Solly:

“We don’t want to lose Wayne. Even if Wayne returns to Brisbane, we believe he can still play a role for us. We’re aware of his desire to return home, so we have put together a job description for a role Wayne could play for us in Queensland. We have Shane Richardson (former Souths CEO) on a similar deal and we want to keep Wayne on in that regard. To be able to have continued dialogue with a person of Wayne‘s experience and knowledge is invaluable. We love what Wayne has brought to the club, but we will leave the decision with Wayne.”

McHunt

I dont quite agree with the conspiracy the NRL is trying to **** the Broncos with a new team close by. I do however think the NRL is looking for financial ways out of the predicament Greenburg left the game in. Having an extra 2 teams brings much more financial income through television deals etc, something near 10-15m per new team would be gained straight away.

We also dont know what NRL HQ has sold as the promise to future TV deals, they could well have committed all but on paper for this revenue stream.
Except aren't they only putting in 1 team?

They want to be careful to dilute the product any more though. There’s already such a gulf in the quality of teams, adding extras is just going to **** the game up even more IMO.

Here's all the blither clipped from various sources. Excuse the repetition, but Bennett has rolled out the same line more than once. I don't see anything new in here. Looks like a slow news day story, which Bennett will get dragged back into to do his usual dance with the media:

Wayne Bennett:

“I’m not going into the Broncos specifically, but I will say this ... I’m a free agent. I like the fact that I will be going back to Brisbane, I will reside back there and whatever comes up I will consider."

“I am going to leave myself as a free agent. I am going home to live in Brisbane full-time at the end of the footy season. That’s my plan. Souths know about my position and after that who knows what I will do.”

“Souths are keen for me to do something, so there is an option. Nothing is off the table. There is so much up in the air. I’ve got a number of options. If someone wants me in some capacity, I will make a decision.”

“Souths and myself have had some discussions around my future. I am going home to live in Brisbane full-time at the end of the footy season. That’s my plan. Souths know about my position and after that who knows what I will do."

“Souths are keen for me to stay on in some capacity. They have said it doesn’t mean I would have to stay in Sydney to do that, but I am not making any decisions around what I will do next year until I get to Brisbane and I will sort myself out then."

“I’m contracted to Souths for this year and then after that I’m a free agent. I’ve got nowhere to go (in 2022). I haven’t done any deals with anyone. I haven’t agreed to anything. There’s a number of strong applicants bidding to become Brisbane’s second team and they will need a coach, so I won’t rule anything out.”

Badel (on TV):

“I think in his heart he would desire a return to Red Hill. Of course there are political complexities with what happened with his exit and what happened with his sacking and the board in 2018, but if they can overcome those hurdles, I know privately Kevvy Walters is open to having Wayne Bennett back.”

“He says he’s got a number of options at his disposal, staying on at Souths in a consultancy role. There’s also been interest from the Redcliffe and the Brisbane Jets prospective bid teams. Look, he won’t be shy of options but I think in his heart he would desire a return to Red Hill.

“We talk about Adam Reynolds and the possibility of him leaving Redfern and Wayne Bennett will be doing the same at the end of the season. Of course his contract is up, but he has told Souths bosses he’ll be moving back to Queensland on a permanent basis. South Sydney were keen to keep him, perhaps as a coaching director. Wayne Bennett says he’ll be going back to Queensland."

“It opens the door for a potential return to Red Hill and a possible reunification with Kevin Walters the man he knows so well. He needs some help and senior leadership, perhaps that leadership could come in the form of Wayne Bennett.”

Kevin Walters:

“I don’t want to make any comment on that. That’s a double-edged sword for me. There’s no drama between me and Wayne at all. I could pick up the phone to him today and we’d be fine.”

Brent Read (on TV):

“He says he’s got a number of options at his disposal, staying on at Souths in a consultancy role. There’s also been interest from the Redcliffe and the Brisbane Jets prospective bid teams,” Badel said.

“Look, he won’t be shy of options but I think in his heart he would desire a return to Red Hill.

“Of course there are political complexities with what happened with the Broncos board who sacked him in 2018. But I know privately Kevvie Walters is open to having Wayne Bennett back.”

“Does everyone remember what happened when Wayne left? He torched the joint. He tried to sue them, threatened to sue them. The people who got rid of him are still there. He’s not going back there, not unless the entire board goes. They’re not going to turn around and put their hand up saying, ‘We got it wrong’. So it’s just insane at the moment. The very thought of it is madness.”

Rabbitohs boss Solly:

“We don’t want to lose Wayne. Even if Wayne returns to Brisbane, we believe he can still play a role for us. We’re aware of his desire to return home, so we have put together a job description for a role Wayne could play for us in Queensland. We have Shane Richardson (former Souths CEO) on a similar deal and we want to keep Wayne on in that regard. To be able to have continued dialogue with a person of Wayne‘s experience and knowledge is invaluable. We love what Wayne has brought to the club, but we will leave the decision with Wayne.”

McHunt
I think you've covered it all there with the current state of play in the media.
Based on what we know ( and we don't know everything) I think it comes down to Wayne having 3 options.
They are (not necessarily in order of likelihood):
1. He takes some sort of a consultancy role with Souths while still being based in Brisbane.
2. He becomes the coach of the new brisbane based NRL team. This would likely see him officially appointed as soon as his commitments with souths are completed as they will want him to help start putting a list together next year in preparation for a start in season 2023.
3. He rejoins the broncos in some capacity (not as coach) to help Kevvie and oversea the football department. However this could have some residual hurdles. After he was sacked he was short changed in his termination payout. I could be wrong but I think the broncos only gave him 400k in lieu of his final year contract. (He was obviously on much more). He then sent a legal letter demanding full payment of his last contracted year. I don't know what happened after that but I don't think he ever received any more money. This could be a sticking point in his return unless something has been quietly done in the meantime.

There is actually a fourth option in that he just retires but that is as likely as the sun not getting up tomorrow so isn't really worth considering.
On the basis that whoever gets the new NRL licence will almost certainly offer him the coaching job I thing that is the most likely scenario he will do.

They want to be careful to dilute the product any more though. There’s already such a gulf in the quality of teams, adding extras is just going to **** the game up even more IMO.
Completely agreed, but this is fixed by reserve grade, u20 and /u18. Pushing those games to before first grade then means u12/u13's get space in Sunday footy and strengthens the development pool. Bringing in more teams absolutely and only can be achieved by backing up top grade.

Active Now

• BroncosMan
  • Organix
  • Broncorob
  • bb_gun
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.