Bennett to Souths

• Thread starter Raw Boned Youngster
  • Start date
R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008
I know this was mentioned as a rumour a couple of weeks back, but it was in the Sydney papers today suggesting it was a done deal for 2012.

That's why GI went to Souths.

Hope both deals fall through.

Saw this on Twitter today. Strong rumors apparently.

Can only be a good thing for Souths.

Flutterby said:
I have heard from a few (some fairly credible, some not so much) sources that it was Wayne Bennett that encouraged Souths to go after Inglis. If this were true, it leads me to one of 2 conclusions:

1. Bennett is coming home and doesn't want to have Inglis at his club; or

2. Bennett is going to be coaching at Souths as of 2012. Souths have made no secret of the fact that John Lang is gone at the end of 2011 and have even publically stated that the money they are using for Inglis is money that they had "put aside" for use by their new coach when he is signed - but if they have been in talks with Bennett and he has told them he'll come, well it would make sense to use that pot of money to chase Inglis if Bennett suggested they sign him.

http://www.broncoshq.com/forum/viewtopi ... 80#p287680

You saw it here first - just saying icon_smile

Says in the papers that if it becomes public the deal is off....ala Roosters 2006.

Right, we need to raise funds for a giant banner to hang from the Sydney harbour bridge. Bet we could get some Dragons fans in too. As long as they tell the guy with the "Great St George Team" banner to burn it.

I don't know why Bennett would reneg on the deal if it became public...it isn't like he's breaking any contract.

Or that it's in the finals.

mrslong said:
Says in the papers that if it becomes public the deal is off....ala Roosters 2006.

So by that logic the deal is now off

Wayne appears to be targetting the clubs that he has had past issues with - 'St george can't play' and the Gordie issue.
It seems like he wants to make peace with some of his enemies before he finally hangs up his clipboard.
He has patched it with the Turtle and now he is working the field.

Wayne, for all his public 'toughness' has shown plenty of evidence that he is in fact very insecure and that his morals aren't quite as admirable as he would like his adoring public to think.

If he has had any involvement with Inglis signing with Souths, Wayne should be exposed for what he is and his halo should be inserted into his clacker.
At least there would be a convenient hole if it is inserted neatly.

Wayne is winding down and he wants to tick a few boxes before he gives it away.
More importantly, it apperas as though he wants to be 'popular and liked'.
His ego needs a bit more fondling.

Who would have thought that that would matter to Wayne?

icon_thumbs_u Thank you to the persuasive power of our politically correct readers.

If WB heads to souths then wins a premiership for them - I swear, he will be hailed as a GOD.

Professor47 said:
If WB heads to souths then wins a premiership for them - I swear, he will be hailed as a GOD.

i doubt even the great Wayne Bennett could lead that mob to a premiership. [icon_lol1.

Foordy said:
Professor47 said:

i doubt even the great Wayne Bennett could lead that mob to a premiership. [icon_lol1.
He got the Dragons over the line, so anything is possible. [icon_lol1.

Difference is the Dragons have always been a well run club, quality players, just unable to convert that into a premiership.

Souths are and have been for 30 years an absolute joke in the game of rugby league. They have the honour of turning excellent players into has beens and also rans...look at Roy Asotasi, and soon, Dave Taylor. For Bennett to turn that into a premiership? As the Professor said...he'd be GOD. Not A god, THE GOD.

Coxy said:
Difference is the Dragons have always been a well run club, quality players, just unable to convert that into a premiership.

Souths are and have been for 30 years an absolute joke in the game of rugby league. They have the honour of turning excellent players into has beens and also rans...look at Roy Asotasi, and soon, Dave Taylor. For Bennett to turn that into a premiership? As the Professor said...he'd be GOD. Not A god, THE GOD.
This ^^^^ (and even sooner, GI)

Coxy said:

First part is true.. The difference is, everyone says that all that matters is on field success and the Dragons have had just as much trouble getting the premiership as we do. That is the comparison I am making with the two teams.

Second part is true in regards to our off field and on the field success has sucked. I have never denied it, we have had hopeless people running the club for many years with no idea on how to adapt to the changes and work with it.

Since Russell and PHAC took over the club we have become more attractive to players, fans and sponsors. Now the players need to win and with a player like Inglis there is an even greater chance of getting the job done, the problem is if our injury is as high as last year.

I also don't agree on Asotasi and Dave Taylor. Asotasi played in one of the best forward packs in the early 00's and had a great run with injuries. When he joined Souths he was our BEST forward and the only one able to get thru the line. He has since had 2 bad injuries that have set him back but he has continued to come back and be one of our best. The only problem being is he hasn't lived up to his value if he is reported to be on $450k.

On Dave Taylor it is hard to say how he will turn out. I remember at the start of last year the Broncos CEO or someone at the Broncos said we should run him around in Prem League to lose the weight. Yet his efforts on our left side through the year won us some games and when he was injuried we really lost of a lot of impact on that side both in attack and defence that again lost us some key games that could have got us into the finals.

I can't be bothered going into other players as this post is long enough.

Plus look at our coaches since we got back into the comp Craig Coleman, Paul Langmack, Arthur Kitanas, Shaun McRae, Jason Taylor and John Lang. I don't think any of these coaches besides John Lang would have been able to win the comp with some of Broncos premiership winning teams.

If Bennett came here and did win the comp he would be a god, but he would also probably have one of the best teams any South Sydney coach has had to play with in the past 20 years. The magic of Bennett is turning those fringe players into confident first graders and that is what we really need to turn around the most.

Active Now

• cento
  • lynx000
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • Harry Sack
  • Gaz
  • mystico
  • Old Mate
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.