Best comp to play in.

B

bob the Smasher

QCup Player
Mar 16, 2008
Hi all,

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on the best run oztag comp in Brisbane? Thinking about putting a team in maybe next year, and I know some are well run and others not so much. At this stage it would msot likely be the one on the sth side, but I can't see too much on the website about it aside for a contact for Linda Lang.

Any thoughts would be appreciated cheers,

If you want to play South side, play at Moorooka (St Brendan's). The comp at Mt Gravatt is also run by Linda, but it's shit. Shit fields. Shit teams. Shit shit shit.

Dunno about Beenleigh, though QUEENSLANDER will have something to say about it.

North side is generally better, but given how they ran the comp this season I struggle to endorse it.

Yea I played at mt gravatt about 4 years ago, and it wasn't anything to write home about.

Moorooka would be our most likely option. How is it better than Mt gravatt though, is it just the oval or the refs or people?

Oval's better. Has a licensed club house. There were more teams, and more refs, therefore better quality competition. I don't know if it's improved at all, but the refereeing on south side has always been worse than north brisbane...but then north has deteriorated dramatically in the last 3 years.

Cheers for the info mate.

It would only be a work team of hacks anyway, most would never have played before. Ref standard doesn't bother me too much, so long as they keep a reasonable lid on the agro wankers, it will be a mixed team, and my boss will be playing, don't want her getting knocked around too much on my account lol.

Haha, well south side used to be less stringent on contact, even in mixed, but it should be OK. There's a few mongrel teams in mixed there (I know, we played them at state cup earlier this month) but against a team of newbies they should (hopefully) play a bit less hard.

Beenleigh goes alright. sometimes the refereeing is rubbish, as theres one ref whos about 13 years old (like seriously) and gets cranky at players and just doesnt know the rules. he basically tries to send off a person every match, but the person never goes off and the other team just says get on with the game lol.

apart from that though, its pretty well run apart from basically having to guess if a game is on or not if its raining/been raining.

if you join up there though, our team will give you a pasting. youve been warned.

Coxy said:
If you want to play South side, play at Moorooka (St Brendan's). The comp at Mt Gravatt is also run by Linda, but it's shit. Shit fields. Shit teams. Shit shit shit.

Dunno about Beenleigh, though QUEENSLANDER will have something to say about it.

North side is generally better, but given how they ran the comp this season I struggle to endorse it.

Beenleigh comp is good, i recommend it. Price is fair, $150 for rego and insurance per team per season, then $5 a game per person. Only drawback is the draw isnt done further than a week in advance. Refs, as AP said, are dubious at times, but thats refs in general lol. Ud be pressed to find better refs anywhere else. Games are played on tues nights at 6.30, 7.15 or 8. The main thing, the other teams are good quality, usually consisting of a fair few league players (especially in the offseason) and its always competitive.

People must remember when commenting about refs to keep in mind a few things (I think I'm in my 2nd/3rd season now);
a) It's not competency based training (i.e. a test in the classroom on the rules, then a practical test on game based scenarios etc.);
b) Most comps don't have a proactive feedback mechanism (at Hickey Park we have a "Ref's coordinator" who reviews randomly ref's performances and provides proactive feedback to assist in improvement;
c) Most refs have played at least one game and ref'd multiple games in the same night, contributing to fatigue and concentration issues;
d) Linesman aren't provided to assist in forward passes, incidents that occur on the 'blindside' to the ref (e.g. fending, foot on the line etc.)
e) They've got people in the ear constantly making remarks which can contribute to a loss of concentration (i.e. telling them to shut-up, or explaining the rules or your interpretation of them);
f) They have lives outside of Monday nights (e.g. I have an 18th month old baby, I got 4 hours of sleep the night before, I had a stressful day at work, I had to make dinner before coming to the venue etc.); and
g) Inherently we're going to make mistakes - we're human. If you understand human behaviour and interaction with management systems (i.e. applying rules and decisions based on the above, the system will fail).

End rant/

Active Now

• scobie
  • Skyblues87
  • Gaz
  • broncos4life
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fozz
  • Waynesaurus
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • the_next
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Griffo
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.