BHQ's Great Ever State Of Origin Backrowers

Who are the greatest QLD Origin backrowers?

• Kevin CAMPION

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dane CARLAW

• Gary COYNE

• Mick CROCKER

• Chris FLANNERY

• Wally FULLERTON-SMITH

• Trevor GILLMEISTER

• Gary LARSON

• Bob LINDNER

• Billy MOORE

• Travis NORTON

• Darren SMITH

• Gordon TALLIS

• Paul VAUTIN

• Total voters
I went Tallis, B. Moore and Vautin. They weren't the best players going around but they put thier heart and soul into Queensland, something I really admire. Linder only just misses out, anyone who plays with a broken leg is a tough ****.

For mine:

11. Vautin
12. Gilly
13. Lindner

11. Tallis
12. Larson
13. Gillmeister

Frank the Tank said:
Moore and Larson were given for me, no better forwards in SOO IMO.

the third was tough, between gilly and tallis, but i went tallis.

Didnt you take notice of of the likes of Lindner & Vautin when you were watching those State of Origin DVD's 5 times?

BroncoMatt said:
Frank the Tank said:
Moore and Larson were given for me, no better forwards in SOO IMO.

the third was tough, between gilly and tallis, but i went tallis.

Didnt you take notice of of the likes of Lindner & Vautin when you were watching those State of Origin DVD's 5 times?

Don't be silly Matt, they didn't score tries or make breaks!

Bob Lindner people, seriously. I don't care if you've never seen him play - just bloody vote for him!!!!!!

I can't believe Tallis is almost the #1 pick in this poll - his record in Origin is poor, the only things he ever did was tackle Hodgson and get sent off. Similar to Mason IMO - did plenty of talking in the lead up to games but very rarely delivered.

Dave said:
I can't believe Tallis is almost the #1 pick in this poll - his record in Origin is poor, the only things he ever did was tackle Hodgson and get sent off. Similar to Mason IMO - did plenty of talking in the lead up to games but very rarely delivered.

Amen

I picked Tallis, more than anything, because of his passion for the game and his inspiration as a leader.

It's akin to picking Lewis in a greatest-ever Broncos team. Didn't do much on the field at all, but really helped drive the success at the place. Despite others probably playing better football than him, my Origin team would have him in the #11, and captain.

Exactly why I picked him too mick. I think in origin his passion would have been infectious to the rest of the team and he would have been a major factor in getting the whole team pretty fired up which in origin is a must imo.

Exactly, to me most of them are on equal par so why not go with Tallis? I loved the look he used to get in his eyes just before the game started. Like he wanted to kill someone and you actually believed that he just might. I enjoyed that!

Meat77 said:
Perhaps but 95% of the other options on the poll exude passion as well.

Absolutely, but passion and MAJOR leadership was a trademark of Tallis for so many years. Captained the team and absolutely lived for it. I simply could not leave him out at all, but that's taking nothing away from any other player on the list or on the team itself.

Agree 100% mick. Him being the captain he was contributed big time to me choosing him. Perhaps he didn't have as many 'big moments' in origin as the others, or the same results, but he never stopped trying and the manner in which he lead those teams was phenomenal.

People are talking about Tallis being a top selection in the same way that I was whinging about Hodges being on par with Choppy Close. Tallis is a prime example of how much Origin can mean to a player and you could see it clearly. I think he performed better than people give him credit for too, he didn't produce his club form consistently at origin level, but he still wasn't terrible like people are saying. And he isn't anything like Mason either.

Scotty said:
People are talking about Tallis being a top selection in the same way that I was whinging about Hodges being on par with Choppy Close. Tallis is a prime example of how much Origin can mean to a player and you could see it clearly. I think he performed better than people give him credit for too, he didn't produce his club form consistently at origin level, but he still wasn't terrible like people are saying. And he isn't anything like Mason either.

Exactly right, he never let the team down in any game, his record might be poor, but what does that mean? He couldn't have won us matches, he was a back rower, he wasn't a Darren Lockyer or Andrew Johns, he could have played the match of his life and we would have still gotten flogged because NSW were just better on so many occasions during Tallis' time.

Frank the Tank said:
lots of our best played during the mid-late 90s when QLD just couldnt win a match. we were absolutely abysmal for most of the 90s.

But better than Bob Lindner???

Active Now

• porouian
  • MrMoore
  • Broncorob
  • johnny plath
  • Manofoneway
  • Cavalo
  • mitch222
  • RolledOates
  • Fozz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • john1420
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.