Big Andre To Add Punch To Broncos

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/09/27/big_andre_to_add_pun.html

1506401217002.jpg;pvf2f806f80287cfbf

BRONCOS’ recruit Andre Savelio can add punch to the bench when he joins the club next year after a starring finish in the English Super League last weekend.
The big middle forward scored two tries off the bench as the Warrington Wolves defeated the Hull Kingston Rovers 46-24 in their final game of the season.
The victory helped ensure the Wolves would be in the top flight next year as they finished top of the eight-team qualifying series that decided which teams would be relegated from to the lower-tier Championship.
Hull KR actually led 18-16 at halftime before Savelio injected himself for two four-pointers.
“I thought Savelio was very good,” said outgoing Wolves’ coach Tony Smith after the game.
It was Savelio who helped change the match, scoring in the 48th minute from a Kurt Gidley pass to put Warrington in front.
Hull KR got back to 26-24 down with 22 minutes to go, but it was Savelio again who made the difference, scoring to put the Wolves on the way to another strong win.
At just 22 years of age and weighing 110kg, Savelio will add some bulk to the Broncos’ playing stocks.
He will join the Broncos on a two-year deal from next year.

****, Kurt Gidley is still playing?

WB wouldn't have bought him if he didn't have 'the right stuff' Looking forward to him playing a few games for us next year off the bench.

Another 'talk up the potential next big thing' article just like the rest where more than most fall by the wayside..

Yeah I reckon. Just let this guy play. I don't want to hear hype about him.

Yeah I reckon. Just let this guy play. I don't want to hear hype about him.
Agreed but also feel like he has to take at least a year to acclimatise to not only Australian weather but also Queensland.

I remember stories of Eden being completely spent during his preseason, but it's to be expected when they're coming into a 35-37 degree summer preseason... a lot of English players head home after 1 season but maybe if they stick it out for 2 preseasons they might come good their second season

The forwards from the UK do well over here.

It's the backs that mostly fail.

Morley, Graham, Ellis, Whitehead, Hodgson, Burger Bros, Mike Cooper...the forwards have often been pretty damn good. I know some like Graham and the twins have gone backwards a bit, but they still had success in the past.

In the backs we've had guys like Joe Burgess, Greg Eden, Sam Tomkins...they've often been shitty. I'm not saying this Andre the Giant guy is going to necessarily be good, but it's still worth targeting ESL forwards IMO.

There was also a numpty forward (Flanagan) at the Tigers a while back, but I'm not going to mention him because he doesn't suit my point.

Morley, Graham, Ellis, Whitehead, Hodgson, Burger Bros, Mike Cooper...the forwards have often been pretty damn good. I know some like Graham and the twins have gone backwards a bit, but they still had success in the past.

In the backs we've had guys like Joe Burgess, Greg Eden, Sam Tomkins...they've often been shitty. I'm not saying this Andre the Giant guy is going to necessarily be good, but it's still worth targeting ESL forwards IMO.

There was also a numpty forward (Flanagan) at the Tigers a while back, but I'm not going to mention him because he doesn't suit my point.

Kevin Ward was very good at Manly although a short stint but won a comp to add to your forwards list.

Ellery was exceptional and played centre for Balmain, he stays on the field they win in 88. He was great at Wests too.

Schofield, Gregory and Hampson were strong been some good backs.

Have any English forwards done well in Brisbane though? It's warmer here in our midwinter than it is in northern England in midsummer. That's a hell of an adjustment for them, we're talking about people for whom 25 degrees is a heatwave.

Some poor defence but the English super league is far more entertaining without the wrestle. All those tries are with the defence staggered or back pedalling, creating broken defensive lines after a quick play the ball. Like the pre-Bellamy days. It's sad that will never return to footy.

Savelio ran some good lines and even gave some good decoy runs, not expecting heaps from savelio (thanks to Eden getting me sceptical) but good signs with him.

Unread

Active Now

• Sproj
  • heartly87
  • Santa
  • Skyblues87
  • Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.