Billy the kid no more: Walters proves missing piece in Broncos premiership push

BHQArticleImageBillyWalters2L

Spearheading his side to Sunday’s grand final with two crucial first-half tries, it’s hard to believe Broncos hooker Billy Walters once thought his NRL career was over.

Arriving in Brisbane in 2022 as a five-eighth with just 12 first-grade games to his name, Walters was never touted as the man to fill the gaping hole that was the Broncos No.9 position.

But after playing a starring role in the 42-12 win over the Warriors, the 29-year-old has proven himself as the last missing piece to Brisbane's spine puzzle.

“I thought kind of my opportunity had passed after I had been at the Tigers and didn't get much of a run and then to be getting a run at the Broncos. Then now to be playing in a grand final…if you told me that two years ago, I probably wouldn't have believed you,” Walters said.

“It's one of those nights you dream about as a little Brisbane, kid playing at a packed-out house at Suncorp in a prelim and scoring two tries and winning as well.

“I’m very happy and we've got to enjoy nights like tonight.”

Walters, a five-eighth by trade, said it wasn't all smooth sailing when he first returned to Red Hill and his switch to hooker came with some hard truths from his father and coach, Kevin.

“I did a lot of training in the halves but three-quarters of the way through last year Kevvie said, ’No more halves. If I want to play halves you’ll be playing at Wynnum',” Walters said during the week.

“He said I needed to focus on dummy half and that’s the role he saw me in at this team so I got to spend the whole pre-season training at dummy half and trying to find and nail my role in the team.”

Walters was just six-years-old when he watched his father captain the Broncos to the 2000 premiership, his fifth title with the club.

With the Broncos having taken home as many wooden spoons as premierships in the 23 years since, Billy believes his side can smash the 17-year title drought when they face defending premier Panthers on Sunday.

“I think Kevvie has brought back a lot of pride,” he said. “Like, you’ve got to remind yourself how lucky we are to be playing for the Brisbane Broncos.

“It's definitely been like that this year and it's shown that the more wins we get, the more the town gets behind us and the happier we are as a team and the better footy we play.

“We've got a lot of young players and I hope they realise the opportunity we've got this week and it doesn't come often to play in a grand final, let alone win one.

“So we’ve just got to go in head-first and work really hard this week and be ready for Sunday.”

After father-and-son duo Jake and Brad Arthur faced the Nathan and Ivan Cleary combination in last year’s decider, the Walters' will take centre stage at Accor Stadium alongside the Clearys this year.

“They're a tough combination but we'll try our best to beat them,” Walters said.

“It’s going to be hard, they're a tough team to beat and they keep knocking teams down when they get there in the grand final.

“Kevvie's my coach when we’re at footy and my dad when we’re at home so I try and keep it at that.

“That stops the boys getting into me as well!"

NRL.com

Billy is fast becoming my favorite bronco. The kid would get double the money now if he played anywhere else. This season he has added craft and deception to his game and can wrong foot the markers at will. He has always had an outstanding dummy and he is using that close to the line to score tries that we have no business in scoring.

It's just so handy to have a hooker Half like him in the team. When Reyno went off he could come back on in the halves and still kick decently to put us in good position and defend exceptionally well. I truly hope there is a photo of kevy and Bill lifting the trophy together.

Billy is fast becoming my favorite bronco. The kid would get double the money now if he played anywhere else. This season he has added craft and deception to his game and can wrong foot the markers at will. He has always had an outstanding dummy and he is using that close to the line to score tries that we have no business in scoring.

It's just so handy to have a hooker Half like him in the team. When Reyno went off he could come back on in the halves and still kick decently to put us in good position and defend exceptionally well. I truly hope there is a photo of kevy and Bill lifting the trophy together.

Absolutely! Teams are so understandably concerned with out 1 and 7 and to a lesser extent 6 that they totally forget this guy and he takes advantage of it regularly.

He's been a top 5 hooker in the comp this year and the only ones who disagree are the same idiots who bagged him from the moment he arrived. It represents amazing value for money and allows us to nurture our (hopefully) next big thing to come through on a normal pathway.

I hope after he wins the Grand Final we finally hear Billy refer to him as Dad rather than Kevvie and they cry and hug and they make a new trophy from the image.
I didn't know i wanted this till you put it here.

I will be so fucken happy for the Walters boys if they pull this off.

the sad thing is you just know if we lose he will be copping the blame. :(

He's been a top 5 hooker in the comp this year and the only ones who disagree are the same idiots who bagged him from the moment he arrived. It represents amazing value for money and allows us to nurture our (hopefully) next big thing to come through on a normal pathway.

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

I thought he was pretty average and was never going to make it in the team but yeah he has definitely turned me into a believer. Hope he gets to lift the trophy with his dad! He has been through alot losing his mum at a really young age and he just has a good attitude. He's been playing really well and has gone up a level in the last couple of months just when the team needed him to. He is fast becoming one of my favourite Bronco's.

Billy is one of the best older talents to grow fast in ability we have seen, he belongs as a starting hooker for one of the best teams atm, you can even argue at this point he is in the better half of players in our best 13.

for me he isn't far off displacing Hunt for origin atm, a really good game in the GF might push him above.

He is certaintly above the likes of Mahoney atm.

No doubt he has crushed it this year. STill not quite the finished product so next sesason we should improve again around the dummy half. I'd like to see him come off a touch earlier , like just before half time because he was gassed last week and was last back after kicks late in the first half.
Smoothy was on 6 mins into the second half last week so 5 mins or so before half time gives Billy a nice rest and lets him finish the last 20 to 25.

No doubt he has crushed it this year. STill not quite the finished product so next sesason we should improve again around the dummy half. I'd like to see him come off a touch earlier , like just before half time because he was gassed last week and was last back after kicks late in the first half.
Smoothy was on 6 mins into the second half last week so 5 mins or so before half time gives Billy a nice rest and lets him finish the last 20 to 25.
But that way you would use up 2 interchanges instead of just 1.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Manofoneway
  • Mighty Bronx
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.