'Billy will select him': Kevin Walters says Reece Walsh on track for Origin

BHQArticleImageLarge81

Reece Walsh is on track to be available for Queensland for the second State of Origin clash, with Kevin Walters insisting Billy Slater will pick him.

The 21-year-old Maroons fullback suffered a concussion in game one of the series in Sydney when taken out by NSW centre Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii.

His mandatory 11-day stand-down ruled him out of Brisbane's clash with Cronulla last week and for Friday night's away showdown with South Sydney.

Walsh has been undergoing protocols and ran freely with the Broncos side in an opposed session on Thursday.

He has made good progress and Walters scuppered any suggestions he may not play for Queensland in Melbourne on June 26.

Brisbane coach Walters, who also helmed the Maroons as coach for four series, said his star number one was on track to go into camp with Queensland on Monday.

"Of course Billy will select him," Walters said.

"I would say Reece's last seven minutes were enough in Origin I to suggest he will be there for Origin II.

"Reece is good. He is doing all the protocols with the HIAs and he will be fine to go for Origin. Unfortunately, he is no good for us against Souths.

"He was medically ruled out. He was unavailable to play and I'm very comfortable with that. We care about our players at the Broncos and we want to do the right thing medically for them. He will be back for Billy in Origin."

Walters said he was heartened by ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys' vow that the game would punish severely players who attack the head of opponents.

"It's not just our players, it's all players, everyone has got these star players in their side," he said.

"They need to be on the field playing where people can go and watch them, and the paying public who pay money to see these guys. I am very strong on that, so I'm pleased the NRL will take a really strong stance on it."

Walters said he had no doubt Walsh would attack his next Origin game with the vim and vigour he has made his own.

"He won't be gun-shy. He is from Nerang. They are not gun-shy down there," he said.

"Reece is as tough a player as you will ever see, so it's not about his toughness and being belted.

"It's about protecting him in a way that he should be protected on the field.

"He is a marquee player, not only for us but for the NRL, and to have him sitting on the sidelines for a period of time is not healthy for the game."

ABC

Broncs1459

Broncs1459

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2012
Anyone non-bias enough to admit Hammer is the better player? Faster, better defender and can play in more positions.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Anyone non-bias enough to admit Hammer is the better player? Faster, better defender and can play in more positions.
if we are talking a peak walsh vs a peak hammer its walsh and its not even close. Hammer can run the ball but has about a quarter of the deception, kicking ability, passing ability etc. As runners of the ball Walsh is probably faster over 30 meters, i'd say they are probably on par.

Broncs1459

Broncs1459

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2012
if we are talking a peak walsh vs a peak hammer its walsh and its not even close. Hammer can run the ball but has about a quarter of the deception, kicking ability, passing ability etc. As runners of the ball Walsh is probably faster over 30 meters, i'd say they are probably on par.

Halo effect in action. If Hammer was a yellow colored labrador people would see him differently

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Halo effect in action. If Hammer was a yellow colored labrador people would see him differently
Happy to go with 2023 stats - they played the same amount of games pretty much.

Walsh
9 Tries
3334 ARM
21 Linebreaks
37 Linebreak assists
26 Try assists
35 missed tackles
127 tackle busts

Hammer
15 Tries
2960 ARM
11 Linebreaks
10 Linebreak assists
4 Try assists
38 missed tackles
89 Tacklebusts

Keep trying I guess.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
If your talking a better fullback then its Walsh. He has a lot more tools at his disposal than the hammer does. Walsh can run, kick and play make all at an elite level where as the hammer can only really run at an elite level.
Don't try and bring race into your petty argument either. Its pathetic. Be better than that

Broncs1459

Broncs1459

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2012
Saying Hammer is a quarter of the player Walsh is says all I need to know mate :rofl
Bring up whatever stats you want from 2023 (haha!). they mean bugger all

The Strapper

The Strapper

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 21, 2015
I am just glad they both play for Qld.
They will both be in the side long term. 🙂

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
This is not right !

Heard this morning Joseph Sualiiiii is playing the role of Reece Walsh in opposed sessions for the Blues in Origin camp .
wtf-blink182.gif

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
So basically he is playing an unconscious bloke who has been hit with yet another cheap chot?

Dunno I think they are maybe recreating the 7 and a half minutes before that incident .
But how ironic . Why aren`t the journos blowing this up ?
There you go Reedy there`s an angle for ya .

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Dunno I think they are maybe recreating the 7 and a half minutes before that incident .
But how ironic . Why aren`t the journos blowing this up ?
There you go Reedy there`s an angle for ya .

This is done in every camp- Billy gave Tigers players roles the other day and told them I want you to play like this Blues player which means running like this and passing like this.

Famously 17-year-old Payne was "Fifita" for sessions in 2017.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
This is done in every camp- Billy gave Tigers players roles the other day and told them I want you to play like this Blues player which means running like this and passing like this.

Famously 17-year-old Payne was "Fifita" for sessions in 2017.

Yeah I can remember some nobody imitating Lockyer for the Blues years ago .

This doesn`t surprise me . I am surprised that the guy who took Reece out and is on suspension for it , is now allowed to imitate him in a Rep camp . Oh the irony ...

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • FACTHUNT
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • mitch222
  • Santa
  • Allo
  • Waynesaurus
  • BooKhaki
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Foordy
  • Tim K
  • IceWorks
  • Bucking Beads
  • Cavalo
  • BroncosAlways
  • pennywisealfie
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.