Boxing PPVs thread

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
I know there is pretty much no interest but fuk it I'm making a thread anyway. I will just bump this one for all the PPVs.

610x.jpg

Wladimir Klitchsko is fighting American heavyweight Hasim Rahman in Germany on Sunday morning Australian time. The fight will be for Wladimir's IBF, WBO and IBO World Heavyweight belts. Somehow the fight has made it onto Foxtel PPV. God knows why, Rahman is a shot fighter who was made to look bad against a 40 year old fat version of former Middleweight king James Toney just a few months back. Klitschko will win this fight by knockout. I cannot believe anyone would pay $40 to watch this fight.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
That sounds like it will be a good fight. I hope de la hoya wins but I reckon Pacquiao will probably take it out. I'll be getting this one for sure.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
Scotty said:
That sounds like it will be a good fight. I hope de la hoya wins but I reckon Pacquiao will probably take it out. I'll be getting this one for sure.

If you actually believe that you should get on Pacquiao because he is a big underdog.

For what its worth I got De la Hoya by mid to late round KO.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Big ask for Pacman but I hope he whoops that pretty boy!

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
FCB BB AKA MB said:
Big ask for Pacman but I hope he whoops that pretty boy!

It would certainly be an incredible win for Pacman. He would instantly solidify his legacy as an ATG and perhaps rise to the status of number one fighter of the past 20 years with a win here. Remember that this guy started fighting at jnr fly - the sport's second lightest division - and is now taking on a 6-division world champion who has won a title at 160.

The fight should be tremendous while it lasts. YOu can say plenty about de la Hoya but the one thing you can't say is that he is hesitant to engage. The man stood there and traded punches with Bernard Hopkins. Pacquaio only knows one way and that is to go at his opponent and throw as many straight lefts as possible. Makes for a great fight.

Whilst I love both guys I can't root against Oscar.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
Also, HBO in the States are currenlty in the process of airing the 4-part 24/7 series documenting the training camps and associated activities of the two fighters in the 6 weeks leading up to the fight. We aren't getting it out here but you can dl them from the net. For anyone interested in taking a look the dl links for the first two eps are below:

Episode 1:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZQ8AXGCH

Episode 2:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XGH6RA2G

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
So the fight is coming up on Sunday. Everyone should make an effort to see it, it should be a massive event and the fight will definately be explosive as long as it lasts.

Just a note as well, there are a couple of guys on the undercard who are really worth watching. Juan Manuel Lopez is a 25 year old super-bantam from Puerto Rico who is extremely exciting. He is coming off a string of impressive KOs including a first round stoppage of Mexican champ Daniel Ponce de Leon is which JuanMa won the WBO title. His fights are always exciting so hopefully that should be a good one.

Another young fighter is also on the undercard in 21 year old jr welter Victor Ortiz. He is another very exciting southpaw who has won his last 8 fights by knock out.

So yeah, if you are buying the fight make sure you catch these two guys in addition to the main event, they should be great fights.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
Incredible win for Pacquiao. His speed was just way too much for Oscar. De la Hoya looked old in this fight as well, this is probably the end of him.

Pacquiao's win sets up a superbout in April/May next year against either Ricky Hatton or Floyd Mayweather at 140 pounds.

The undercards were very disappointing. Both Ortiz and JuanMa were impressive but unfortunately they were in there against completely overmatched opponents and the fights barely got going.

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Mayweather - Pacquiao would be an interesting fight eusa_think Pacquiao could probably beat Hatton though IMO. I don't reckon Hatton is too good against quick opponents.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
Scotty said:
Mayweather - Pacquiao would be an interesting fight eusa_think Pacquiao could probably beat Hatton though IMO. I don't reckon Hatton is too good against quick opponents.

Yeah, Ricky would not be able to deal with Pac's speed and power. I see Pac stopping Hatton if that fight comes off.

Mayweather-Pacquiao is THE fight right now though. If marketed correctly that could be massive - you have the former p4p king returning to fight the current one. I'm not even sure who wins that fight tbh. A few months back I would have laughed at anyone who said Pac could hang with Floyd, now I almost think it is a pick 'em fight. That is why I love this sport.

Initial post edited with details of the next PPV.

Kris

Kris

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
ZOMG...GO PACMAN!

I don't even like boxing, but my dad paid $50 to watch it on Main Event. Pacman was awesome!

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
KrispyKris said:
ZOMG...GO PACMAN!

I don't even like boxing, but my dad paid $50 to watch it on Main Event. Pacman was awesome!

He was indeed. His development over the last 3 years has been incredible. He has basically transformed from an aggressive brawler to one of the most skilled technicians in the sport today. Incredible. The fact that ppl are saying that he can beat Mayweather shows how far he has come.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
Love the Pacman, saw a replay of the fight he was relentless and Hoya just couldn't compete he looked slow and surely he has to finish now. Pacman has developed his boxing skills so much it amazes me, he went from the worlds best brawler to one of the best boxers as well. On the Mayweather topic, if Floyd fights someone before fighting Pacman I think he wins quite well because he can cancel Pacman's speed and counter with the silkiest boxing known to man however, if he goes in without a lead up Pacman could really surprise Floyd and would have every chance of an upset.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
FCB BB AKA MB said:
Love the Pacman, saw a replay of the fight he was relentless and Hoya just couldn't compete he looked slow and surely he has to finish now. Pacman has developed his boxing skills so much it amazes me, he went from the worlds best brawler to one of the best boxers as well. On the Mayweather topic, if Floyd fights someone before fighting Pacman I think he wins quite well because he can cancel Pacman's speed and counter with the silkiest boxing known to man however, if he goes in without a lead up Pacman could really surprise Floyd and would have every chance of an upset.

Floyd would not fight a tune up, he would see himself as being above that.

There are serious rumours going around at the moment that the camps are in discussions and that Pacquiao may decide to by-pass a potential fight with Ricky Hatton and go straight to Mayweather in April/May 2009.

T

The Brizz

Deactivated
Mar 4, 2008
I thought pretty much the same thing, I think it may prove to be a big mistake because Pacman is so sharp and if Floyd isn't 100% ready he will have a massive challenge on his hands.

R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
FCB BB AKA MB said:
I thought pretty much the same thing, I think it may prove to be a big mistake because Pacman is so sharp and if Floyd isn't 100% ready he will have a massive challenge on his hands.

Yeah, but you have to consider it is FLoyd. I have watched every fight Floyd has fought as a professional fighters, the majority several times, and I have never once seen him come in anything but 100% prepared.

THe report from Vegas are that he has been training at high intensity with his team for the past month or so.

W

Woody

NYC Player
Mar 4, 2008
R

robbie mustoe

QCup Player
Mar 24, 2008
Woody said:

The Froch-Pascal fight was great. I held no real expectations for that fight as I had not previously been very impressed by either fighter but it was a great toe-to-toe war with a fair bit of technical ability.

Froch's team are currently in negotiations for his first voluntary defence of the WBC title he won in this fight against former Middleweight king Jermain Taylor for March/April.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bb_gun
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • Allo
  • thenry
  • Jazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.