Boyd ready to take six for the team

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
GettyImages 823815560ee

Darius Boyd open to moving to five-eighth to help solve Brisbane’s halves dilemma

October 26, 2017

DARIUS Boyd has flagged the prospect of moving to five-eighth to help solve Brisbane’s halves dilemma following the Broncos’ inability to poach Ashley Taylor from the Titans.

As revealed by The Courier-Mail, on Thursday Boyd signed a four-year $3 million upgrade, securing him until the end of 2021 and ensuring the Broncos skipper will finish his career at Red Hill.

But there is no guarantee Boyd will remain in his coveted fullback position, with the 30-year-old declaring he is willing to put the team’s needs ahead of his own by partnering Anthony Milford in the halves.

While Kodi Nikorima will get first crack at the No.7 jumper next season, Broncos coach Wayne Bennett was hopeful of bringing Taylor back to the club where he made his NRL debut for 2019.

But Taylor’s decision to sign a $3 million extension with the Titans on Wednesday has torpedoed those plans, prompting Boyd to consider donning the No.6 jumper made famous by Wally Lewis and Darren Lockyer.

“I’m open to it,” Boyd said of shifting to five-eighth next season.

“Fullback is my preferred position but I like what you get to do and bring at five-eighth, so if that was an option, I wouldn’t be against it.

“These days five eighth and fullback are pretty similar, apart from the defensive side of the game.

“Whatever is best for the team, if it’s five-eighth ... I’m open to that.”

While Bennett regards Boyd as the NRL’s pre-eminent fullback, the Maroons ace can see the merits of a move into the frontline.

At age 30, Boyd is entering his twilight years and the fullback position is posing increasing physical demands on a 267-game veteran who has battled Achilles and hamstring injuries in the past two years.

Tactically, Boyd already plays like a second receiver, but admits he would need to improve his efforts with the boot if he teamed with Milford, who could operate as a running halfback.

“I’d have to work on my kicking game, that’s for sure,” he said.

“It (playing five-eighth) is still a long way away, but if it’s a realistic thing to happen, I would to do a lot of practice and kicking would be one of them.

“I already do a bit of practice at five-eighth, I practice with the halves at training.

“In this day and age fullback and five-eighth is very similar and with five-eighth you get to control the team quite a lot. It’s a bit easier being at five-eighth than it would be at fullback.”

Boyd’s new deal is worth around $750,000 annually and he is determined to be the captain that breaks Brisbane’s 11-year title drought before he retires.

“We had a lot of players off-contract this year and the club did a great job to retain most of them,” he said.

“Premierships are what the Broncos have been great at and I want a couple more while I’m here, I definitely want that.

“I wasn’t planning on going anywhere. I love this club and I feel lucky to be finishing my career here.”

Source: The Mercury

For the love of God no. If he was to move anywhere it would have to be centre.

Not the biggest fan of the idea...but it could be one of those weird things that work. I guess the question is who would bring qualities that we need Nik or Boyd?

Hope Bennett isn't going to play musical chairs again next year.

Why has he taken 750k when he was on a mill a yr previously.

I feel like I just predicted this article about 5mins ago in a different thread....

Yeah, it just reads like a typical article where a player is asked if they would consider playing a different position, they say maybe. Suddenly article appears how said player is a certainty to be playing there. Don't think it has much weight tbh. "I'm open to it" sums it up really.

thought when he was talking about bird getting 1.2 the CM said he was on a mil

thought when he was talking about bird getting 1.2 the CM said he was on a mil
A) Bird was never getting 1.2 ... the figure just keeps going up, whenever it gets talked about.

B) the CM were speculating about the size of his next contract. (I.e. the one just signed)

Be keen to give Boyd a go at 6 and Milf to 1. If we actually plan on keeping him for 4 years (not just a convenient medical retirement) then he can’t stay at fullback much longer, might as well plan longer term. If Bird not going to 9(and doubt he would) then prefer a Bird to 6 and Boyd to centre.

There is absolutely Zero confidence in nikorima playing in the halves it seems. Poor kid must have thick skin.

Unread

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Fitzy
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Swordfish
  • pennywisealfie
  • heartly87
  • The True King
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.