Brisbane’s Joe Ofahengaue eyeing $2 million to stay with the Broncos

He's almost the Alex Glenn of the FRF rotations. No flair but dependable. But Glenn brings more IMO then Ofa at an individual level. He's a good hole runner and good team motivator. He gets the your guys together and has everyone's back.

All the other players have that defining characteristic. What is his?

I've always considered him a steady, level head that ties the team together. Nothing flashy but extremely dependable. We have the fire, but Offa - like Glenn, is the log that allows it to burn brighter. It was no coincidence that in the QF against the saints, we turned to shit when he went off injured.

A lot were also saying he should play lock in front of TPJ so he must be doing something right.

A lot were also saying he should play lock in front of TPJ so he must be doing something right.

Can someone point out why exactly everyone rates him so highly?
I have no issues with him, but I also don't think he ever sets the game alight when he plays. . Just a bit of a stop gap?
I guess you all see something I don't?
What would you say his key characteristic is..? Everyone has that thing they bring to the team, but his contribution is just minimal and reliable.
Not having a go, just don't see why everyone has the big calls on him.
For me it is probably a carry over from his 20's days where he was playing 80mins a game at prop and churning through 200m a game.

His progress has been very steady, but in 2016 or 17 (can't remember off the top of my head) he formed a fantastic bench combination with TPJ maybe even the best in the comp... and that may have been the breakout for him.

Combine that with being only 23 and it would suggest he's about to hit the prime of his career from right now.

I'll be interested to see how he plays this year under a coach like Seibold. He's not as explosive as other forwards, but he has also been playing under what I would consider more conservative game plans for his career to date.

In summary he's a workhorse prop, with reliable ball security that isn't a penalty magnet... who also has age on his side and plenty of potential from his junior days. In other teams he's probably playing 80 at lock.

$500k seems a lot, but 4 years is a good length. I also have no real idea how the salary cap looks. We have been in retention mode so potentially they're putting funds aside for all these guys... we basically only have Oates, TPJ and Fifita left after him to lock down long term.

It’s not Offa that will surpass Mcguire it is Carrigan,TPJ and Flegler and they all have great skills to do that.

I'm going to make a bold claim now. TPJ wont ever surpass Moose at the Broncos, in fact, i'll stick my neck out again and say he wont even be here in 2020.

I'm going to make a bold claim now. TPJ wont ever surpass Moose at the Broncos, in fact, i'll stick my neck out again and say he wont even be here in 2020.
Heard something or just gut feeling?

Heard something or just gut feeling?

Just a gut feeling mate tbh.

This hamstring issue he has worries me a little right now as well. Hopefully, its nothing, but if its ongoing i dont see us pushing the boat out for him the way somebody like Newcastle would for example. We have enough quality in our forwards to manage just fine without him.

Ill back this claim. Moose was criminally under rated here for his output. We will miss him in the middle this year. Only Gillett can hold his own against his 80 minute performances. Sure TPJ might break a game open for 15-20 minutes, but Moose gave you a high 80 minute performance and those are what normally wins games.

Ill back this claim. Moose was criminally under rated here for his output. We will miss him in the middle this year. Only Gillett can hold his own against his 80 minute performances. Sure TPJ might break a game open for 15-20 minutes, but Moose gave you a high 80 minute performance and those are what normally wins games.

No one will surpass Moose as a prop but 100% as a lock it wasn’t his position.

No one will surpass Moose as a prop but 100% as a lock it wasn’t his position.

Yet he is the current Australian and QLD lock. Do you think those sides hand out those jumpers to any player for shits and giggles?

Yet he is the current Australian and QLD lock. Do you think those sides hand out those jumpers to any player for shits and giggles?

So you believe his best spot is lock and that’s where he’s played his best footy to date aye, I don’t believe that.

So you believe his best spot is lock and that’s where he’s played his best footy to date aye, I don’t believe that.

I actually believe he has gotten better. He is producing the same high class calibre of football at lock that what he was doing at prop only for a longer period of time on the field. So yes he has gotten better in being able to pump out more minutes of the same quality of football which is all you can ask in a footballer. If we could squeeze at solid 80 minutes week in week out from TPJ, he would certainly overtake him, but at this stage, I don't ever see that happening.

The numbers suggest otherwise, McGuire was down in all major categories.

This is from my memory and perspective mind you, but I felt he did more lock things at prop than at lock. There was probably a lot more clean up and tackle work he was doing at lock, but I do feel it lessened his output, both in numbers and the intangibles.

For instance there was a game against Manly where he picked out Buhrer on a kick return and pushed him backwards along with him for what seemed 20 metres. Can not recall him doing anything like that at lock

This is from my memory and perspective mind you, but I felt he did more lock things at prop than at lock. There was probably a lot more clean up and tackle work he was doing at lock, but I do feel it lessened his output, both in numbers and the intangibles.

For instance there was a game against Manly where he picked out Buhrer on a kick return and pushed him backwards along with him for what seemed 20 metres. Can not recall him doing anything like that at lock

He's had a number of big plays every now and then, but he was mostly known for his work ethic and being consistent from the 1st minute to his last, regardless of fatigue. Those things were definitely all down last year, and I believe he might have given away more penalties too.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Morkel
  • davidp
  • Broncosgirl
  • kiwibronco
  • something
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Johnny92
  • Behind enemy lines
  • bert_lifts
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Wolfie
  • RolledOates
  • Ondi
  • broncotville
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.