Brisbane Broncos 2011 Preview

B

broncos112

Feb 7, 2011
Gains: Ben Hannant (Canterbury Bulldogs), Dane Carlaw (Catalans Dragons, ESL), John Te Reo (Wynnum Manly, Queensland Cup).
Losses: Israel Folau (GWS AFL), Lagi Setu (Mormon Mission), Antonio Winterstein (North Queensland Cowboys), Tariq Sims (North Queensland Cowboys), Ashton Sims (North Queensland Cowboys), Korbin Sims (Newcastle Knights).
Signed On Again: Ben Hunt, Josh Hoffman, Ben Te’o, Corey Norman, Mitchell Dodds, Matt Gillett, Gerard Beale, Shane Tronc.
Off Contract: Rohan Ahern, Denan Kemp
2011 Coach: Ivan Henjak
First 5 Rounds: Cowboys (H), Raiders (A), Titans (A), Panthers (H), Knights (H)

Success is embedded deep within the Broncos culture and it is not hard to understand why when the team boasts players such as Darren Lockyer, Justin Hodges and Sam Thaiday. In what was unusual for the Broncos, they failed to make the finals last season finishing in 10th spot on the NRL ladder. Season 2010 can be put down to lost opportunities at the business end of the competition. A string of defeats in the final rounds of the season proved costly as the Broncos missed the Top 8 by 2 points.

Full Article: http://www.nrlweekly.com/preview-2011-brisbane-broncos/

After the season we had last year I feel as though that is a pretty good summation and preview of things to come.

I am hoping Jharal and Gillet have big years again as well as some of our other new guys, but I also think our forwards will step up this year. I think we have a pretty good start to the year so it will be good to get off to a good start. Top 8 will definitely be achievable IMO. icon_thumbs_u

Big year for Ivan IMO, he needs to get the team not relying on Lockyer so much. This is his 3rd year in charge so I expect changes to be noticeable particularly in our defensive structures and the way in which we use our forwards.

If Lockyer plays the vast majority of the games, we will go very well. If he gets hurt for any long periods we will miss the finals easily. We do not look like we can cop with his absence whatsoever.

The Brizz said:
If Lockyer plays the vast majority of the games, we will go very well. If he gets hurt for any long periods we will miss the finals easily. We do not look like we can cop with his absence whatsoever.

That is exactly what Henjak needs to change.

The Brizz said:

Yeah I agree mate. Thats why I reckon this years Origin period will be really important, I think we need to jag at least 2 wins from the periods where we will lose our players

The Rock said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":2tjav3k8][quote="The Brizz":2tjav3k8]If Lockyer plays the vast majority of the games, we will go very well. If he gets hurt for any long periods we will miss the finals easily. We do not look like we can cop with his absence whatsoever.

That is exactly what Henjak needs to change.[/quote:2tjav3k8]

Wayne Bennett couldn't really change it, so I doubt Henjak could either.[/quote:2tjav3k8]

True but Locky is close to the end so steps need to be taken to curb his influence on the side as a whole.

The Rock said:
I agree, it just seems a little too late.

probably depends on how good Wallace plays or if he plays at all.

Provided Wallace gets back to something near his best, Hunt will be able to fill in for Locky. Also McCullough has said he wants to do more play-making and Hoffman is a freak. This is the future of our side and this is the year for them to prove it.

gUt said:
Provided Wallace gets back to something near his best, Hunt will be able to fill in for Locky. Also McCullough has said he wants to do more play-making and Hoffman is a freak. This is the future of our side and this is the year for them to prove it.

My concern is with Hunt he needs to be involved week in week out with first grade so he can step up if/when Locky is unavailable. But I'm struggling to see where he fits on the bench. Certainly can't have Glenn, Gillett and Hunt on the bench.

I worry about Hunt playing Q Cup and then being thrown into NRL. Q Cup standard is so poor these days, at least in the Broncos' affiliates given how far they spread the reserve talent, it's not suitable.

I actually think the standard has improved over the past few years with the introduction of Raiders, Titans and Sea Eagle reserve players.

That's not to say there isn't a problem with sending Hunt to Q Cup, there is, definitely when you consider the amount of time, or lack of time that they get to spend with their respective Q Cup side. I don't know how any squad player is supposed to prove themselves in Q Cup when they barely get the chance to know their team...and when they do they work themselves into an early retirement (Michael Spence).

I still think the Broncos need to work out a deal where they can set up one club as their sole feeder club and cherry pick the other players as dual registered players who come in once or twice a week and get to run with the big boys. Because at the moment, players are coming out of Toyota Cup and being thrown straight into the deep end.

Big Pete said:
I actually think the standard has improved over the past few years with the introduction of Raiders, Titans and Sea Eagle reserve players.

That's not to say there isn't a problem with sending Hunt to Q Cup, there is, definitely when you consider the amount of time, or lack of time that they get to spend with their respective Q Cup side. I don't know how any squad player is supposed to prove themselves in Q Cup when they barely get the chance to know their team...and when they do they work themselves into an early retirement (Michael Spence).

I still think the Broncos need to work out a deal where they can set up one club as their sole feeder club and cherry pick the other players as dual registered players who come in once or twice a week and get to run with the big boys. Because at the moment, players are coming out of Toyota Cup and being thrown straight into the deep end.

I agree with this. QCup standard is quite strong as it is, but I think if we got all the Broncos players into the one feeder club it would improve it, as well as giving our younger players at better platform than the Toyota Cup.

I find it interesting that sportsbet have us at even further outsider ods than they had us last year... eusa_think

forward_pass said:
I find it interesting that sportsbet have us at even further outsider ods than they had us last year... eusa_think

Why wouldn't they be though? They performed the worst they have for ~20 years last year, and their squad isn't that different to last year.

In saying that though, I think it's a bit of a joke when you look at some of the teams with odds better than the Broncos.

Big Pete said:

But the NSWRL has this year convinced the NRL to rule that NSW based clubs need to have a team in the NSW Premier League for their second stringers to be eligible for NRL games, so now Canberra will have no affiliations in Qld Cup and the quality of players Manly will put at the Sunny Coast is going to be much reduced.

But on the whole I think the standard of Qld Cup is pretty good; however agree it is difficult for the Broncos affiliated guys to shine under the current arrangements because they train all week with the Broncos with maybe one late week training session with their Q Cup side once IH has finalised his side (and sometimes none); so come game day there is pretty much no gelling or combinations with their Q Cup teammates so they look fairly ordinary most of the time.

Flutterby said:
Big Pete said:

But the NSWRL has this year convinced the NRL to rule that NSW based clubs need to have a team in the NSW Premier League for their second stringers to be eligible for NRL games, so now Canberra will have no affiliations in Qld Cup and the quality of players Manly will put at the Sunny Coast is going to be much reduced.

But on the whole I think the standard of Qld Cup is pretty good; however agree it is difficult for the Broncos affiliated guys to shine under the current arrangements because they train all week with the Broncos with maybe one late week training session with their Q Cup side once IH has finalised his side (and sometimes none); so come game day there is pretty much no gelling or combinations with their Q Cup teammates so they look fairly ordinary most of the time.

And this is particularly damaging for a halfback in waiting!

I would prefer it if the Broncos at least scheduled training such that Hunt could be involved with skills training for the first grade squad, but attend all other training for the feeder club. That way he can work with combinations with the first graders, as well as reggies and thus slot in whichever team more smoothly.

But because the Broncos have so many feeders with different training programs and schedules, that's not possible.

One primary feeder club is a MUST.

forward_pass said:

the funniest thing was the books' pricing the broncos as favourites or near enough to it, when Inglis was on board, then winding them out to $20 when the deal fell through ... [icon_lol1.

Bull_Shark said:
the funniest thing was the books' pricing the broncos as favourites or near enough to it, when Inglis was on board, then winding them out to $20 when the deal fell through ... [icon_lol1.

I know he is good, but as if he could make that much difference [eusa_naugh

Active Now

• whykickamoocow
  • Behold
  • Rookie Alan
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Gaz
  • Sproj
  • Johnny92
  • Bronco bob
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncos4life
  • Rambstien
  • RolledOates
  • Harry Sack
  • Midean
  • Robboi_321
  • Astro
  • jarro65
  • Fitzy
  • bb_gun
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.