NEWS Brisbane prop Jensen emerges as Maroons bolter

BHQArticleImageLarge56

Brisbane prop Corey Jensen has emerged as a bolter to join the Queensland squad for the State of Origin series opener.

AAP understands Jensen is being considered for the 17, or to be part of an extended squad, ahead of game one of the series on June 5 in Sydney.

The 30-year-old has played his best football at the Broncos, where he leads the way up front with NSW prop Payne Haas.

Second-rower Jordan Riki, speaking after the Broncos' training session on Thursday, said Jensen would not let Queensland down.

"Corey has gone to another gear this year, he has been awesome for us, defensively and in attack," Riki said.

"He is one of those quiet achievers. He doesn't say much, but when he gets on the field he tucks the ball under his arm, runs as hard as he can and makes his tackles.

"We needed to rely on him after losing Fleggy (Thomas Flegler), and he has been massive for us, so I hope he does get a position in the Queensland Maroons squad. He would do the state proud."

The Maroons are depleted in the middle forwards, with Tom Gilbert and Tino Fa'asuamaleaui out with season-ending knee injuries.

Dolphins prop Flegler is also unavailable, throwing Jensen into the mix.

"As a Queenslander, you dream of Origin," Jensen said.

"I watched it growing up and you always want to be there one day. All I can control is how I am playing footy here, and if it's something Billy (Maroons coach Billy Slater) wants to look at, I would be 100 per cent grateful for it.

"I would love to just be a part of the arena and be part of the Queensland squad and mingle with those guys.

"To be around those guys would be a dream come true. I am here to play my role for the team. If I'm playing good footy, you never know what can happen."

Jensen's style of football would not be out of place in the Origin arena.

"I have always been one of those hard-working type of players," he said.

"I don't do anything fancy, I just get the team forward and defend well and do the little one-percenters and that's what I try and build my game around.

"If that's something Billy is looking at, I will 100 per cent put my hand up to be ready to go on in that arena."

Canberra Times

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
good on him has done nothing but improve since leaving the cowpats

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
I am a big Jensen fan, and it would be a really handy example when trying to recruit/retain players.

Jensen came from being unwanted at the cowboys, to the broncos and became a rep player.

We could develop that reputation that the storm and penrith have for helping players reach their potential/revitalising careers

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I wouldn’t have him in my side but he’s had a good year and I don’t think he’ll let us down.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I wouldn't pick him tbh, but he isn't far off to be fair.

**** I wish Willison was a QLDer though, he would make it easily.

Unread

Active Now

• Browny
  • Battler
  • Skyblues87
  • Waynesaurus
  • GCBRONCO
  • The Strapper
  • Dash
  • Maroon4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Spooky1013
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.