Brisbane rugby league junior development

J

johnny plath

QCup Player
Jul 16, 2014
So, not necessarily directly a Brisbane Broncos thread, or about local players we have missed out on, but more about junior development in Broncos turf. I don’t mean scouting afar, but literally players from the Brisbane rugby league comps. When the Broncs entered in 1988 all but a couple of players were drawn from the BRL comp, and there were other players from the BRL comp scattered among the NSWRL teams. I may have missed some, but this season I have counted 23 (regular nrl, not couple of gamers here and there) players in the NRL that have come from the BRL junior clubs. Given the size of Brisbane and its rugby league history and strength, is this acceptable in reality – is it enough, or should more players be coming from this pool. And who is responsible. I know Broncos don’t have juniors in the sense that Sydney clubs do, but should it be a Bronco responsibility to develop its name sake back yard. To me it seems like there is a bit of vacuum between Broncos and BRL (or whoever they are now) because IMO I think its poor that we haven’t even got a full size NRL squad (25 players) represented. Does anyone in the know or interested casual observers have a view. Here is my list of BRL players, feel free to add or subtract:

Fullback/Wingers: Will Zillman (Rochedale brothers) Gerard Beale (Logan) Edrick Lee (Mt Gravatt) Antonio Winterstein (Logan)

Centres: Ricky Leutele (Logan) Brenko Lee (Logan) Kurt Capewell (Ipswich) Tatoa Moga (Springfield) Dale Copely (Aspley)

Halves: Jonathon Thurston (Sunnybank) Cooper Cronk (Souths acacia) Anthony Milford (Souths Acacia) Kodi Nikorima (Aspley) Cory Norman (Beenleigh) Ryley Jacks (Easts tigers)

Middle Forwards: Josh Maguire (Aspley) Dylan Napa (Aspley) Dave Tyrell (Easts Tigers) Christian Welsch (Easts tigers) Joe Ofahengaue (Ipswich Brothers)

Second Rowers: Josh Papalli (Logan) Jason Bukuya (Aspley)

Hookers: Cam Smith (Logan)

It makes sense since the Broncos only moved back into Logan when the Raiders cracked the sads and left.

Cool thread @johnny plath. Since it isn't necessarily about the Broncos, I've moved it to the Rugby League board.

I'll add more when I get the time.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Jazza
  • Santa
  • Mister Wright
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Battler
  • jd87
  • Lurker
  • winslow_wong
  • BroncoFan94
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • bb_gun
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncos Maestro
  • cento
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.