NEWS Brisbane's tough finals reality a learning curve for Mariner

BHQArticleImageLarge104

Broncos centre Deine Mariner said he would not view this season as a failure, even if his side do fall short of making the eight after featuring in last year’s grand final.

Their season started with so much promise after they had one hand on the trophy last year before a Nathan Cleary masterclass guided the Panthers to their third straight title, but Brisbane's finals hopes – while still intact – realistically hang by a thread, but Mariner said the belief was still in the squad they could return to the same heights as last season.

“Obviously, that was our goal from the beginning of the year just to make finals," Mariner said.

“It's been an up-and-down season, but we definitely still have got a chance and just try to build it off week-by-week for a finals appearance.

“(Getting the win in Round 23 against the Cowboys) finally (we) got some momentum.

“Hopefully we can just build off of that and get better, week by week as well.”

Now in his third season in the NRL, Mariner has been one of the shining lights for the Broncos with his attack and sits in the top three for tries scored having crossed for 17 so far.

He has also enjoyed his mid-season switch to centre, saying it is his preferred position – but one he was still learning how to master at the NRL level.

“Obviously NRL is hard and it's hard to be consistent, but that's something I'm working on and I'm always going to be confident to play centre because that's a preferred position for me,” Mariner said.

“Definitely happy with where I am at … that's a position I love playing, but at the end of the day, wherever the coaches think is best for the team, that’s where I am going to play.

“I played centre through pretty much my whole junior league, all the way to now.

“Wing was just a position to get some reps, I kind of had to build into centre (in the NRL) because it is a more defensive position more than wing, it's been a good transition and I'm still learning every week.”

Coming into this week’s game against the Eels having halted their slide of five losses in their past six games, but still needing to win all their remaining matches as well as hope results go their way, Mariner said the side were focussed on building from their big 42-18 upset win over the Cowboys in their last match before the bye.

However, even if they win all their remaining three matches, they could still miss out of a chance to avenge their grand final loss, but Mariner said he would not label his side’s performance this season as a failure.

“I wouldn't say (a) failed (season); more so kind of a learning curve,” Mariner said.

“There were some things this year that didn't go our way and it's just something we can build for next year if it comes to that.

“But as a team, we’re just taking it week-by-week, and obviously our goal is to make the grand final.

“Not having the same team week-to-week (has hurt the side), a lot of things changing and a lot of players play out of position can take a toll on the team.

“(It’s about) trying to find those right combinations.

“That's probably the only thing that's kind of let us down this year.”

NRL.com

I think it's because Patty is a key part of the attack. He's playing a more traditional lock role and works together with the halves to determine when it's time to play direct or expansive. Kobe only has one mode and that's shape one way before stepping in and finding his front.

Then again, I don't recall Kobe ever being an 80 minute player. I always thought he was more around 30-40ish minutes. That's going to be the challenge for him moving forward, improving his minutes and making himself a viable starter
Re Patty it's more about having enough in the squad to cover the loss of him given his importance to the team in attack, etc.

I think Kevvie's fallback is Payne at the moment... which isnt a fallback at all, because he's a starter. It's the same as Cobbo being the fallback across the backline.

That tells me the depth in the squad isnt good enough... or Kevvie is having to be too reliant on the stars to get his gameplan across.

I thought there were promising signs from Smoothy when he filled in at lock... and I've said that I would like to see Billy have a stint in the middle to see if he can cover Patty's ball playing.

The dogs have been using Mann, Hayward, Curran, etc. for stints at lock. Souths have been using Cook recently in that role... and there are plenty others.

It was a role that I liked for Gamble before he moved on... but either way it's something they need to recruit for because if Patty goes down then what the **** will be the answer.

Would kill for Asiata to be in the squad just quietly.

For Kobe there was a time a couple years back, probably 2022, when he had the 13 on a few times and basically played the mid-2010's third prop role for 80mins. It was showing he has the motor to do work on the field, so I expected he would just gradually increase his prop role to near 50mins.... but he has just stagnated massively.

The bench throughout this year has just looked unbalanced... mainly due to the lack of flexibility and utility value across it.

You cant have a best 17 that is completely undone because you lose a second rower... basically means you can barely cover any injuries.

We learn from both our failures and triumphants. Mariner has made his mistakes while learning to play centre, but he is definitely improving. I have been impressed with him and believe him, also Staggs can make a great centre pairing. Hopefully they are willing to take a paycut when times come, like other players need do so we can become an amazing team like Storm.

You cant have a best 17 that is completely undone because you lose a second rower... basically means you can barely cover any injuries.
Or a wing/centre/fullback. That's all it's taken for us to go off the rails. A bare minimum 17 has contingencies for every position going down. That's like 101 of the coach's job. Ideally, you have the following:

1. Two mobile forwards (one in the squad, one at reserve) who can slot in convincingly at centre. Starting or bench, doesn't matter. We don't even have one.
2. A backline who can switch around to cover injury. We're fine there.
3. A big front rower and fast edge on the bench. Te Kura and Piakura would do.
4. A crafty hooker who could play 80 minutes, but would normally play 60. Maybe that could be Mozer. It's not Billy or Tyson.
5. A slippery utility who's a handful at half or hooker, like Ben Hunt or Benji Marshall. We could do better than Walters or Paix.

I’m curious to know what you think they should be saying. If you wanted them to be honest and say, “we have been shit for a large part of the season because we don’t want to work hard. I also switch off for big parts of the game so I need to improve on that.”

Would you be happy with that?

I think taking some responsibility would be the bare minimum. "We've missed some players but we also haven't been at our best. We've identified the areas we need to improve and we're working really hard on it." The first thing a Munster or a Cleary would say after the team playing badly would be "we didn't perform to our standards" but that seems to be the last thing we hear from this lot, it's excuses all the way down. Origin, injuries, Vegas, internationals...

Handwaving that they've played like crap for half the year because of missing players is a deadset cop out. Sure it's played a part but missing players doesn't cause you to drop balls, miss tackles, etc.

My opinion is that the mindset has to improve.

Or a wing/centre/fullback. That's all it's taken for us to go off the rails. A bare minimum 17 has contingencies for every position going down. That's like 101 of the coach's job. Ideally, you have the following:

1. Two mobile forwards (one in the squad, one at reserve) who can slot in convincingly at centre. Starting or bench, doesn't matter. We don't even have one.
2. A backline who can switch around to cover injury. We're fine there.
3. A big front rower and fast edge on the bench. Te Kura and Piakura would do.
4. A crafty hooker who could play 80 minutes, but would normally play 60. Maybe that could be Mozer. It's not Billy or Tyson.
5. A slippery utility who's a handful at half or hooker, like Ben Hunt or Benji Marshall. We could do better than Walters or Paix.

2 out of 5 bullet points about Billy Walters, I had you chalked in for all 5 when I seen you throwing down numbers.

2 out of 5 bullet points about Billy Walters, I had you chalked in for all 5 when I seen you throwing down numbers.
I also mentioned Paix and Smoothy, but you're not crying over them. This is about you and your teeny weeny boner, mate.

For Kobe there was a time a couple years back, probably 2022, when he had the 13 on a few times and basically played the mid-2010's third prop role for 80mins. It was showing he has the motor to do work on the field, so I expected he would just gradually increase his prop role to near 50mins.... but he has just stagnated massively.
Kobe is a small forward and made his mark in 22/23 with his speed and footwork through the middle. He has looked ordinary this year because of the amount of possession we have had in almost every game this season - sub 45%.

If we were able to cut the errors and keep the ball he would come on against some tiring middle defence and do his best work off the back of some quick play the balls. I don't think he has lost the ability to do it, I think he has just fallen victim to trying to play footy after defending our line against fresh middle forwards.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • MrMoore
  • Astro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.