NEWS Broken Broncos

Screenshot 2021 04 29 at 18 40 10 Broncos NRL Team The Courier Mail

Screenshot 2021 04 29 at 18 40 01 Broncos NRL Team The Courier Mail

Just the quotes from the three part feature running in the Courier Mail this week.

"One leading NRL player agent:"

“The truth is a lot of Queensland players and families have lost trust in the Broncos system. I’ve had a number of kids who have chosen other NRL clubs because they believe they will get a better education at a club like Melbourne or the Roosters than they would at the Broncos. There is an arrogance at the Broncos. They just expect Queensland kids to stay because they are the Broncos. Their pitches to sign players are nowhere near as detailed as the effort other clubs put in."

Brisbane’s elite player development manager Simon Scanlan:

“We can’t keep them all. It’s a competitive world and several NRL clubs are now setting up in Queensland looking for talent. It hurts (to lose Fifita, Dearden etc). You build a strong relationship with the parents, the kids and their families and you invest a lot of time and effort."

“We have players who are playing across the NRL. Over the last six years, more than 50 players have either signed with our club, another NRL club or even rugby union. We have produced a heap of kids, but they all can’t stay here."

“It’s out of our control to some degree whether they kick on to the NRL and at times other clubs will take them out of our program. Do we like it? No we don’t. Does it hurt? Yes it does. We have to look at ourselves as well and try to be better.”

Karl Morris:

“Every new CEO will look at the whole organisation. Dave has come from a very successful organisation at the Storm and the first thing every CEO does is review every part of the organisation. There is zero doubt he will do that. Dave will be conducting a review of the entire Broncos organisation."

“The board has a role and of course we have to take some of the blame. We are all working towards the path of getting the best team on the paddock. We are all responsible to make the Broncos a continuously better place.”

“It’s been a perfect storm in some ways. We had a range of big contracts we were dealing with and some are starting to come off-contract, giving Kevvie the opportunity and the scope in the salary cap to make the hard decisions that we’ve seen him do already."

“Kevin has enthusiasm in spades, but he has to get the best player list to get us into the top four and they are hard decisions that probably haven’t been made and they haven’t been made because of the contractual arrangements that have been, and are at, the club.”

“The Broncos have lacked the ability to make the hard decisions."

“Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards and the week-in, week-out worry about getting the two points has distracted our plan of setting up the club for the medium to long-term. We’re not there to make the top eight. We want to be making the top four and being in a position to compete for the grand final and win premierships.”

“We haven’t won a premiership since 2006 but what it shows is how good the NRL is right across the board now. The quality of the NRL has improved dramatically over the last 15 years.

“Theoretically, an NRL team should win the premiership every 16 years. We haven’t lost our aura, but the rest of the league has risen up and matched the benchmarks the Broncos set 15 years ago.

“Look at the data around member engagement, corporate dollars and TV ratings. The Broncos are still a massive brand. Queenslanders still love the Broncos."

Neil Monaghan:

“We picked Kevvie as our coach and as the right man for the job. He has a terrific support team around him and is a good person. We did not get into this position overnight. It has been years in the making and we won’t fix it overnight. Kevvie was a winner as a player and will be a winner as a Broncos coach, but it will take time and hard work.”

“The supporters have been patient and largely understanding that every club has a rough trot. Not one club is immune to the issues the Broncos are now facing, but I am adamant we will come out of it."

“To be honest, there could be more pain ahead. I wish we could come out of this more rapidly, but the building blocks are there and I can say the hard decisions will be made.”

Kevin Walters:

“My big job is to bring it all back together and have everyone singing off the same page.
“I believe one of my big skills is the ability to get people working together as a team and bringing harmony. I will unite the Broncos as one."

“It was everywhere. Across the whole club. I saw fractures. There was a disconnect between players, staff, the board and a disconnect with the Broncos’ links to the Queensland people. That should not be the Broncos. I feel those links wavered last year for whatever reason, so we need to build a strong base.

“I want the players reconnecting with the community, fans, members and sponsors. We are bringing the real Broncos back.”

“I felt I’ve had control from the moment I walked in. It’s obviously not my roster as such that I selected, but I’m working with these guys. They’re a good bunch of guys."

“What’s personal for me is fixing up the Broncos. We finished last year and this is a new season, new era. We will fix the place up. It might take us a little bit of time but I’m seeing some good positive things. I do take it personally.”

“I have been put in a position to make this club better than what we were. I’m not worried about the tenure I have here at the Broncos, I have been placed here to make the place better and that’s what I am trying to do this year."

“At different stages I feel the team has improved and then we take a few steps back. We are sitting back and having a good look at things. While we have a mindset and we have a thought process, the performances over the next few weeks will determine the direction that we take.”

Part III

McHunt

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Karl morris has to be one the most publically out of touch diectors ive seen in a sporting organisation for some time. White has a lot to answer for also. Things become out of control on their watch.

B

Bakamary

BRL Player
Apr 3, 2021
WTF has this guy been living under a rock. This is how I interpret his sweeping braindead statements.

“Every new CEO will look at the whole organisation.” - deflection

“We are all responsible to make the Broncos a continuously better place.” - deflection

“It’s been a perfect storm in some ways." - blame

“they haven’t been made because of the contractual arrangements that have been, and are at, the club.” - blame

“The Broncos have lacked the ability to make the hard decisions." - blame

“Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards and the week-in, week-out worry about getting the two points has distracted our plan of setting up the club for the medium to long-term.” - blame

“The quality of the NRL has improved dramatically over the last 15 years.” - blame

“We haven’t lost our aura, but the rest of the league has risen up and matched the benchmarks the Broncos set 15 years ago.” - denial

“Queenslanders still love the Broncos." - denial

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
“We haven’t lost our aura, but the rest of the league has risen up and matched the benchmarks the Broncos set 15 years ago.” - denial

This one as well actually (in fact all of them are just hilarious coming from a power player in all honesty) really irks me (well they all do), so in your time at the club, you've admitted to resting on the club's laurels that you in fact had absolutely no hand in establishing. Nice one idiot, you've basically admitted you have done nothing.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I would love for Milf to EARN a contract extension, would love for him to play the house down. He’s still only 26, it’s way too young to be washed up.
No thanks. He will sign it and regress again. I don’t trust him. He’s toxic to the environment and doesn’t give a shit about becoming a better player. It’s obvious

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
This one as well actually (in fact all of them are just hilarious coming from a power player in all honesty) really irks me (well they all do), so in your time at the club, you've admitted to resting on the club's laurels that you in fact had absolutely no hand in establishing. Nice one idiot, you've basically admitted you have done nothing.
It’s so dumb.

“We haven’t gotten worse. Everyone else has just gotten better! So you could think of us as the current wooden spooners BUT have you considered that if we sent the boys back in time, they would comfortably win the 1934 premiership! That’s pretty impressive if you ask me.”

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Part III

Karl Morris

“We have to back Kevvie. We have to back the coach — and we will. We have a good relationship with Kevvie and he needs to get the team he wants."

“There’s lot of experts there (in the football department). It’s not for the board to determine the roster, Kevin has his opinions on the players he wants and we’ll support him as best we can. With respect to Tom (Dearden), it’s the coach’s call. At the end of the day, Kevin is the one who has a relationship with the players and he has to decide which players he wants long term.”

“Things turn when coaches have full authority of their playing squad and they make the final decisions on recruitment and retention and they are able to execute their plan. It takes a lot longer in sport than it does in any other enterprise. You can make changes quickly in business but not so quickly in the NRL. "

"We’re six months into a two-year contract for Kevin. But we’re going to back the decisions Kevin wants to make and whatever changes he wants to make to the roster, we’ll support it. Kevin is starting to make the tough decisions that need to be made. We have unbelievable faith Kevin can get us there, but we need to put a very strong team around him.”

Kevin Walters:

“I’m not worried about the tenure I have here at the Broncos. I have been placed here to make the place better and that‘s what I am trying to do this year. We are sitting back and having a good look at things. The performances over the next few weeks (will be crucial). While we have a mindset and we have a thought process (on recruitment and retention), the performances over the next few weeks will determine the direction that we take."

“I’m not sure about a cleanout, but we’re working through things. I have been put in a position to make this club better than what we were. I am excited to get Dave (Donaghy) in the building and have him working not only with the players but the administration staff. It’s certainly a big job so it will be good to have Dave in control.”

McHunt

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Apparently “Part IIII” is tomorrow...🤔

*insert Bart Simpson Roman Numerals meme here*

ozzball

ozzball

QCup Player
Mar 17, 2013
With apologies to our female readers ... but ... Women are like NRL clubs. From 18 to 30, they're like the Penrith Panthers - hot and exotic. From 30 to 45, they’re like the Melbourne Storm - fully explored and free with they're resources. From 45 to 55, they’re like the Wests Tigers - exhausted, but not without places of interest. But from 55 onwards, they're like The Brisbane Broncos - everybody knows where they are, but nobody wants to go there.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
We should just stop development all together and just sign who we need. Let’s see if that changes the nrl’s reluctance to reward clubs who actually produce the talent for the roosters and storm.

edit: the state of the nrl atm is proof that the cap is a meme. If players are willing to take pay cuts to play at certain clubs how is the cap then making the competition even? All it’s doing atm is holding back the well run, wealthy sides. The meme about us losing players (to insane offers) would be valid if there was no cap and we just let them walk.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
It’s so dumb.

“We haven’t gotten worse. Everyone else has just gotten better! So you could think of us as the current wooden spooners BUT have you considered that if we sent the boys back in time, they would comfortably win the 1934 premiership! That’s pretty impressive if you ask me.”
Don't you know mate, we're just as good as the 2006 squad, but every other team has got way better.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Don't you know mate, we're just as good as the 2006 squad, but every other team has got way better.

And that's made it hard to make hard decisions, which the club (not the board) is hamstrung with and cannot make because of the decisions the club (not the board) have made.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
How good is having News Corp own 69% of your club?

Can't remove the weasel on the board. Storm and Cowboys got free of them not long ago.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
This is my favourite Morrisism I think:

“The Broncos have lacked the ability to make the hard decisions."

And so who are responsible for making said decisions at the club mate?

Clearly not him. He just sits there like Jabba the Hutt waiting for the dough for his mansion to roll in.

Unread

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Big Del
  • Justwin
  • Lostboy
  • sooticus
  • Dexter
  • Galah
  • Painin the Haas
  • Strop
  • Dash
  • maddo
  • Wolfie
  • Allo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.