Bronco Attacking Tactics

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
So I've been thinking lately (always a mistake), and I think whoever our offensive coach is needs to get it together and develop some set plays especially when we are in the attacking zone. While complaints about our recent attacking ability usually revolve around us not being well structured (pre Reynolds), there is no doubt we have some talented players, who with a little bit of built in tactics can score us more tries more consistently. Even when we sucked, we still had Boyd's cut out ball to get some points when we were at the line.

Keen to hear any ideas you all may have. I.e. simple tactics that you think would work for the Broncos (specifically.. we don't have a fast winger to kick it to from our 20) to score more points.

Play 1: 'Staggs vs the rest'

What we do:
Whenever we have a scrum (in the opposition's 20 or 30) we always take it in the middle, put 3 players on each side, and then run and hope for the best.

What we can do: we should get everyone to line up on the left, except Staggs (who stays on the right). If the opposition don't match it, we easily outnumber them and score in the corner. If they move their players across to the left to match up, go straight to Staggs. No one can tackle him one on one and we easily score again.

Success rate: 100%. This is full proof.

Potential issues: none. Although we should wait to use this until at least the preliminary finals, so other teams with gun backs don't copy it and do it to us.

Play 2: "old school Oates Hass crash"

What we do:
random forward barges that do nothing but waste a tackle.

What we should do: We used to do this all the time! Oates sprints in and kills their smallest player to crash over the line. We have some pretty strong players, I don't see why have haven't at least tried this with Hass. And I don't mean how we do it now (give it to Hass 10-15 out and see how close he gets). I mean give it to him 1m away, near the edge and see if they can stop him.

Success rate: 86.3%. Only time it won't work is if they line up 5 players to stop him, or if he drops the ball in the collision.

Potential issues: none. It's a basic play we should do more.

What you guys think? Any more?

What we do:
Whenever we have a scrum (in the opposition's 20 or 30) we always take it in the middle, put 3 players on each side, and then run and hope for the best.

What we can do: we should get everyone to line up on the left, except Staggs (who stays on the right). If the opposition don't match it, we easily outnumber them and score in the corner. If they move their players across to the left to match up, go straight to Staggs. No one can tackle him one on one and we easily score again.

Potential issues: none. Although we should wait to use this until at least the preliminary finals, so other teams with gun backs don't copy it and do it to us.
this is the dumbest, yet at the same time most genius idea that might just work. Even if it didnt work, Id love to see a pro team try to pull it off :)

Pretty irrelevant atm when the Broncos are so rarely in an attacking position.

Pretty irrelevant atm when the Broncos are so rarely in an attacking position.
Nah we have lots of attacking opportunities. Problem is, we either kick it over the deadbolt line, hand it over or drop the ball. Scoring solves all these problems. Even if we only get a few chances to pull this off its still worth it!

So I've been thinking lately (always a mistake), and I think whoever our offensive coach is needs to get it together and develop some set plays especially when we are in the attacking zone. While complaints about our recent attacking ability usually revolve around us not being well structured (pre Reynolds), there is no doubt we have some talented players, who with a little bit of built in tactics can score us more tries more consistently. Even when we sucked, we still had Boyd's cut out ball to get some points when we were at the line.

Keen to hear any ideas you all may have. I.e. simple tactics that you think would work for the Broncos (specifically.. we don't have a fast winger to kick it to from our 20) to score more points.

What we do:

What we do:

What we should do: We used to do this all the time! Oates sprints in and kills their smallest player to crash over the line. We have some pretty strong players, I don't see why have haven't at least tried this with Hass. And I don't mean how we do it now (give it to Hass 10-15 out and see how close he gets). I mean give it to him 1m away, near the edge and see if they can stop him.

Success rate: 86.3%. Only time it won't work is if they line up 5 players to stop him, or if he drops the ball in the collision.

I like your thinking.

I think they may have already decided that Reynold's pin point kicking can be used to hit a rampaging Oates on the wing. I'd like to see him drop it on top of the opposition's smallest half or hooker and see Riki or Capewell outjump them.

Nah we have lots of attacking opportunities. Problem is, we either kick it over the deadbolt line, hand it over or drop the ball. Scoring solves all these problems. Even if we only get a few chances to pull this off its still worth it!
30% territory vs Cant and NQ, not much more vs NZ. Rarely visited the red zone during the second half of the Roosters game. You hit the nail on the head with the error count. Starting way too many sets deep in our zone. Opposition packs have no trouble clocking up the metres against us.

We used to do a play off the scrum where Oates came in off the wing and Milford would put him over for a try. Not sure why they stopped doing it

I like your thinking.

I think they may have already decided that Reynold's pin point kicking can be used to hit a rampaging Oates on the wing. I'd like to see him drop it on top of the opposition's smallest half or hooker and see Riki or Capewell outjump them.
Yea Oates seems to be having a good run under the high ball.

30% territory vs Cant and NQ, not much more vs NZ. Rarely visited the red zone during the second half of the Roosters game. You hit the nail on the head with the error count. Starting way too many sets deep in our zone. Opposition packs have no trouble clocking up the metres against us.
Yea so with the lack of opportunity we need to make those chances count :)

I think you'll find that we'll slowly bring out the attacking plays as the season progresses and the players get used to the combinations.

However, I agree that the Staggs ploy is 100% Full Proof. Do it.

The try Herbie scored against the Bulldogs was a set play, we tried it last week but seemed like the inside players didn't play as direct so the defence slid onto Herbie quicker.
I think Reynolds is working out the strengths of certain players to get the best out of them as we've seen with Oates and the kicks. As the season progresses I can see Reynolds getting Riki in a play.. if Staggs is playing like he did last week plenty of space will open up for Jordan.

What we do:

What we do:

The variation for Play 1 would be to have one of our faster players at lock in the scrum and break from the scrum and head out on Stagg's side as if we are playing to him and then dummy and hit the space and hopefully beat the cover breaking from the scrum.

The variation for Play 1 would be to have one of our faster players at lock in the scrum and break from the scrum and head out on Stagg's side as if we are playing to him and then dummy and hit the space and hopefully beat the cover breaking from the scrum.
That makes it even more full proof to work!

We need a class 5/8 to establish a combination in the halves, sort of when Milford and Hunt were at their best. For mine, everything starts with the halves. And nothing will work without support play. You can have whatever tactics you like but with that combination, one one side or either, it's doomed to be mediocre.

A class ⅝ would help of course. IMO until then, we will never make it past those sides who have class in both halves. Just look at them: Panthers, Roosters, Storm. And look at us.

Unread

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Locky24
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.