Broncos ... are too powerful

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Found this on the foxsports website

Sydney's NRL clubs and other members of the recently formed clubs association are preparing for an allout confrontation with the ARL commission over the off-field power and supremacy of Brisbane.

A copy of the Broncos' annual report has been circulated amongst the clubs showing the club's turnover of a staggering $34 million and more than $28 million spent on the football team.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...brisbane-broncos/story-fn2mcuj6-1226360821127

Personally I think Brisbane needs another team but this article suggests that rather then improve themselves the Sydney teams are looking to hamper the Broncos. What the Sydney clubs should be doing is aspiring to operate like the Broncos.

No wonder some clubs are stuggling, if this is their thinking.

The Broncos get the Friday night Channel Nine game almost every week and sell sponsorship on the back of having more free-to-air prime time exposure than any other club

It's not the Broncos choosing to have nearly every Friday night.

And the Broncos would be idiots not to take advantage of it. (Hence why they are raking in the money)

I hope the commission tells them to get better business practice and **** off.

that would be like Holden whinging to the governmetn about Ford making too much money, and wanting the Gvernment to put a stop to it. ****ing dumb.

What Sydney clubs don't understand is that channel 9 have 2 games on Friday night. 1 goes live into NSW and the other goes live into QLD. The Cowboys and Titans both prefer Saturday night games. QLD people aren't going to want to watch 2 Sydney teams are they?? They really are clueless in Sydney. They need to look after their own backyards and top worrying about other clubs. Getting rid of 2 Sydney teams would help with their problems. It is like Sydney is full of the mentally challenged. Oh wait it is.

I hope the commission tells them to get better business practice and **** off.

Or better still, to spend a week at the Broncos & learn how to run a successful club.

It's absolutley annoying when some people come out and accuse the Broncos of requesting their games to be played on Friday Night. That's wack Channel 9 wants them on because Brisbane are a high drawing and succesful club.

Whilst I agree that Manly, Cronulla and the Eels should FOAD, they are correct in saying we have a massive advantage due to location, broadcast arrangements etc. The business advantages we get are large and numerous, and without doubt we are the most fortunate club in the league (but not for that long IMO).

And speaking objectively, a 2nd Brisbane team does make sense. But NOT for the sake of diluting our strength, or ahead of expansion into viable regions, such as Perth.

Also, the term too powerful is wrong. What they really mean to say is that the Sydney Clubs are too weak. And that's their own fecking fault. I don't recall a Roosters home game this year that has had more than 14,000 people attend.

There are just too many clubs in Sydney, and they are all choking each other on and off the football field. And until some teams do FOAD, they will continue to do so.

And frankly, I don't think Brisbane will be the best positioned club for long anyway, regardless of if a 2nd team enters the comp. One look at the Warriors Toyota Cup success, and the fact they have all of NZ, will provide them with the biggest playing advantage ever soon. And the commercial benefits will soon follow.

Whilst we do have somewhat of an advantage in terms of location, coverage, etc, that doesn't count for much if the club isn't run correctly.

Rocky hit the nail on the head - rugby league is a business nowadays. We are extremely professional in every facet of how we operate, whilst the majority of other clubs are amateurish.

Take the Knights for instance, they've only just gotten their act together thanks to Nathan Tinkler's takeover. Before that, they were seriously on the brink of death due to continuous mismanagement off the field. This all happened despite the fact that Newcastle is possibly the most rugby league mad town in the world - they couldn't even take advantage of that!

If more clubs start to become a bit more professional in their approach, then they'll start to reap the benefits we do. Maybe not on the same scale, but still.

This goes in circles for ever. Broncos are a business success story, an on field success story and the club is an off field success story.

Sydney Clubs struggle for market share.

Super League fixed this.

"Traditionalists" claim Super League will kill the "spirit" of the game.

We had a marge and the NRL was formed.

Idiot Sydney clubs are still struggling with the concept of FRANCHISES.

I look forward to this scoop that Broncos get unfair advantage again next season.

Same shit every year. Instead of using the Broncos' success and try and aspire to get closer to that level, they try to bring us down to their level. This is the exact reason some clubs are in trouble down south. Here's an idea - instead of pinpointing the "advantages" we have, try and identify the advantages in your own area and figure out ways to make the most of them.

Take the Knights for instance, they've only just gotten their act together thanks to Nathan Tinkler's takeover. Before that, they were seriously on the brink of death due to continuous mismanagement off the field. This all happened despite the fact that Newcastle is possibly the most rugby league mad town in the world - they couldn't even take advantage of that!

If more clubs start to become a bit more professional in their approach, then they'll start to reap the benefits we do. Maybe not on the same scale, but still.

But the Knights at least had something prospective and positive to take advantage of.

The problem for some of these teams is that I don't really see any potential. Teams like Manly and Cronulla can show all the professionalism in the world, but really, what potential do they have to improve? They have small grounds and service relatively small populations.

Without NRL grants/money, I'm fairly certain they'd have no ability to continue on. Which is why, as Rocky says, they should FOAD so teams like Perth can come in. Seriously, Perth is a real location that has potential. Try saying that about the Shire with a straight face.

But the Knights at least had something prospective and positive to take advantage of.

The problem for some of these teams is that I don't really see any potential. Teams like Manly and Cronulla can show all the professionalism in the world, but really, what potential do they have to improve? They have small grounds and service relatively small populations.

Without NRL grants/money, I'm fairly certain they'd have no ability to continue on. Which is why, as Rocky says, they should FOAD so teams like Perth can come in. Seriously, Perth is a real location that has potential. Try saying that about the Shire with a straight face.

They won't FOAD because it's not in their best interests, even if it is in the best interests of the game. Clubs like the Sharks have only themselves to blame for their situation, as there's money on offer from the NRL to relocate to an untapped market like Perth, or Adelaide, or Central Queensland. Cronulla could erase all their financial woes simply by becoming the Adelaide Sharks. The correct way to respond to the Broncos having a city all to themselves is not to saturate that city with more teams, but to find a new market where you can replicate their situation.

At the end of the day, in off-field terms, the clubs aren't competing with Brisbane, or even with each other; they're competing with the AFL, with TV and movies, with music festivals, with the A-League... rather than trying to take a bigger bite of the NRL pie, they should be working individually and collectively to increase the NRL's share of the entertainment industry in the country. Compete on-field and in the talent pool, but from a business perspective, we're all in it together.

Broncos have had a lot of luck go their way. The most important thing in all of this is success. If the club wasn't as successful on the field then they wouldn't be as successful off it. However in saying that success on the field has to be helped off the field.

The Broncos have been lucky to have had one of the best coaches to ever coach in Rugby League for 20 years to lead them to 6 premierships. A coach who can bring the best out of his players and take talented juniors into Superstars. Henjak failed in his foot steps but so far Griffin has continued the Broncos success with a very good win/loss ratio.

If the Broncos have had an up and down history, it might be a different story. The success has let them go to sponsors and charge more, why channel 9 has them on so many Friday nights etc. You can't blame the Broncos for this.

I remember Shane Richardson in a 2005 boardroom meeting about our future before Russell and PHAC. He said a club like the Broncos back then was running at $16 million dollars. We were trying to run on under $10 million. The Broncos made profits (I am pretty sure) and Souths as well as all Sydney teams didn't and still don't.

IMO Privatisation is the future of Rugby League and all teams (in Sydney atleast) will need to go down that path or they will die a slow death. Relocating a few Sydney teams might help but no-one wants to see their team moved away and the NRL fear supporter backlash.

Luck had nothing to do with bringing Bennett to Brisbane. And certainly had little to do with keeping him that long either.

word @ all of what Rockys said.

so sick of this bullshit, try to level the playing field by bringing us down. what a joke. if anything they should be cheering us on and asking us for help.

I'm too bored of this argument to give my thoughts. I could swear an almost identical article was posted last year.

It looks like they simply copy and paste the same article every 6-12 months. I do agree with everything said in the thread already, just a shit attitude from the other clubs that are sooking.

Look at the Bulldogs. Sydney team. Western Sydney team. Hang on a sec..what was that? They actually turn a profit? They are a successful football team? Oh why is that? PROPERLY RUN BUSINESS.

Why can't a lot of other Sydney teams be as successful as the Bulldogs? POORLY RUN BUSINESS. Period.

Not rocket science.

When did the Bulldogs turn a profit? Their leagues club maybe, but the football club wouldn't be.

Going from their annual report - http://admin.nrl.sportal.net.au/site/_content/document/00002741-source.pdf If I am reading it correctly last year the football club had a loss of $845,000. As a consolidated group (Leagues Club and Football Club) they made a profit of $3.4 million.

Last edited:

Active Now

• lynx000
  • BroncoFan94
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • TimWhatley
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Hurrijo
  • Skyblues87
  • Sproj
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Morkel
  • rj9
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BruiserMk1
  • bert_lifts
  • Rookie Alan
  • Dash
  • Cavalo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Alec
  • Mr Fourex
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.