NEWS Broncos back PNG for 18th team

If results did come back that damning then the admin should be looking at opportunities to increase interest in the region and have a plan in place to provide a team there in the future. Let it be known far and wide that the NRL plan to invest in the region and put it on the radar of bid teams that expansion is coming.

Rather than just "Oh well... how about another QLD team then"

Absolutely but the issue is two things:
1. This would take forward thinking
2. This would take smart people with a good business mind

These though are two things NRL admin severely lacks.

If Money is tight, they can just take one of their home games against us to Suncorp, aswell as sell others to states or regions that want a game(like Parra do with Darwin which the NT Government pays for).

I think the team would need a decent backer to get the team off on the right track but after that would work, the game is in a much richer and healthier state than it was in the middle of the Super League war era.
The clubs currently get a grant that covers the salary cap, plus extra on top.

I'd say a new club coming into an expansion area should be getting a higher grant to assist them with growing the game.

Unfortunately the existing clubs will not give up money for the sake of the game... so what would normally happen is a strong administration would bring them into line and identify what the strategic plan will be moving forward and them needing to be onboard with it... to work together and have a unified stance across stakeholders about expansion plans and future of the game

The clubs currently get a grant that covers the salary cap, plus extra on top.

I'd say a new club coming into an expansion area should be getting a higher grant to assist them with growing the game.

Unfortunately the existing clubs will not give up money for the sake of the game... so what would normally happen is a strong administration would bring them into line and identify what the strategic plan will be moving forward and them needing to be onboard with it... to work together and have a unified stance across stakeholders about expansion plans and future of the game
The NRL has money though, it doesn't have to come off the clubs, I mean they are blowing huge money on this US nonsense.

I have a strong feeling this Government backed PNG club is going to price everyone out for the 18th team though, probably will need it to be part of the next stage with the 20 club plan.

From my understanding, the NRL looked into Perth years back when they were originally looking at expanding or relocating a Sydney team and the data they gathered wasn't encouraging.

The 18th team will be a QLD team. It won't be another NZ team or a PNG team. Only reason the PNG bid is even being entertained is because Albanese is backing it and the NRL will try to get the NSW Government to cover the costs. The bid will fail, though. The logistics and the security concerns will have an impact. Not only that, but they will have a hard time convincing good players to live there.

Brisbane Tigers is the most logical choice at this point in time. There's room for another QLD team.
just on this. i hear east tigers (guys behind the firehawks) have been in talks with png/nrl and some government officials about what a png/east tigers bid would look like for the 18th team in the comp.

No idea how that would work but from what i know they would need to include so many players from png and play a few games a year over there but still be based in brisbane.

Sounds like a nightmare to be honest but i think the nrl has already quietly ruled out png as the next team for many obvious reasons hence why easts are using them to strengthen there bid in the hope it pushes there chances as 18th team.

Be interesting to see what happens.

Oh and if easts do make it as 18th team good chance there ditching the firehawk name

just on this. i hear east tigers (guys behind the firehawks) have been in talks with png/nrl and some government officials about what a png/east tigers bid would look like for the 18th team in the comp.

No idea how that would work but from what i know they would need to include so many players from png and play a few games a year over there but still be based in brisbane.

Sounds like a nightmare to be honest but i think the nrl has already quietly ruled out png as the next team for many obvious reasons hence why easts are using them to strengthen there bid in the hope it pushes there chances as 18th team.

Be interesting to see what happens.

Oh and if easts do make it as 18th team good chance there ditching the firehawk name
The plan is to base it in Cairns(I would assume Barlow Park and will surely get an upgrade), As someone who lived in that city for a few years in my youth the league interest there is huge, I think they have to allow Locals from the Cairns area into the team as well to make it fully work there though or it would just be odd.

People there will still turn up to watch games, but to have them actually support the team there needs to be some connection.

Would the NT be an option?

I mean it's an AFL state I believe, and still warm as **** up there in winter, but the Eels do take a game there every year and seemingly do well crowd-wise.

I still reckon Perth for the timeslot. The travel is a killer though, much further than north/south or over the dutch.

Would the NT be an option?

I mean it's an AFL state I believe, and still warm as **** up there in winter, but the Eels do take a game there every year and seemingly do well crowd-wise.

I still reckon Perth for the timeslot. The travel is a killer though, much further than north/south or over the dutch.
It would need Government money to work, and I think it would have a better chance if the NRL opens up for 20 teams after it picks the 18th team.

I thought it was pretty obvious, a bid supported by another country other then the one it's aimed for to keep that countries ties close to Australia via their love for a sport popular here is a common way to do this.

Especially given Chinas growing influence in the pacific, and with PNG recently signing a new security deal with the US, it's pretty clear what is happening regarding this bid.

This may be the heaviest rugby league conspiracy of all time

This may be the heaviest rugby league conspiracy of all time
More like most obvious, several Media even have pointed to it being the case already:

I thought it was pretty obvious, a bid supported by another country other then the one it's aimed for to keep that countries ties close to Australia via their love for a sport popular here is a common way to do this.

Especially given Chinas growing influence in the pacific, and with PNG recently signing a new security deal with the US, it's pretty clear what is happening regarding this bid.

Hundred percent this is the reason that fat **** PNG Prime Minister has been publicly backing the bid, although he won't publicly admit it. Jesus Christ, the last thing the country needs is an NRL team

Hundred percent this is the reason that fat **** PNG Prime Minister has been publicly backing the bid, although he won't publicly admit it. Jesus Christ, the last thing the country needs is an NRL team
I don't think it will be based there, and your country won't be paying for it(though you will be paying for it in other ways and be basically a puppet state) the bid honestly looks like nonsense to me logistically, but the amount of money involved is probably well beyond $100 mil for it to be favourite, which to me makes it look like US is involved as well, considering US media is already on it to me says everything.

Wow, how surreal. Thanks for sharing
Politics can be a funny thing sometimes, just don't be surprised it wins the bid because there is likely soo much money involved no other bid can ever compete.

I don't think it will be based there, and your country won't be paying for it(though you will be paying for it in other ways and be basically a puppet state) the bid honestly looks like nonsense to me logistically, but the amount of money involved is probably well beyond $100 mil for it to be favourite, which to me makes it look like US is involved as well, considering US media is already on it to me says everything.
Puppet state. Well put

I get the political and logistics issues obviously but this is a better idea than some random pacific team or a Dolphins team with no place name.

Active Now

• ostin86
  • pennywisealfie
  • Skyblues87
  • kman
  • RodF
  • Harry Sack
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Robboi_321
  • Broncosgirl
  • KateBroncos1812
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • winslow_wong
  • Spoon
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.