OPINION Broncos Backrower Bench hole

Man, it really would have been useful right about now if we transitioned Oates to 2nd row 5 years ago when everyone was screaming for it aye

Gotta love hindsight
Yeah got to love blind ignorance to. He’d be going on his 4th year on Nova for **** sakes he sucked at second row. Fucking disgrace anyone would want to go back to that.

Man, it really would have been useful right about now if we transitioned Oates to 2nd row 5 years ago when everyone was screaming for it aye

Gotta love hindsight
IMO Oates doesn't have the footwork of a backrower, if he was to be a forward it's prop or nothing, it's basically the role he was doing in attack as a winger anyway.

Some Decent backrower players out of contract that we can contact right now: Coen Hess, Jaydn Su'a, Angus Crighton.

The latter probably going to Union and a Sydney **** so probably wants too much, the other two decent options but likely too expensive to be bench options though Hess would cover middle/backrow perfectly imo.

IMO I still think Kleese Haas is the way forward, he impressed me last year at Titans, would be a cheap option and would likely be a very easy sell to come play with his brother would be a huge improvement over Hunt without breaking the bank, while being good enough to put pressure on our current backrow pair.

Some Decent backrower players out of contract that we can contact right now: Coen Hess, Jaydn Su'a, Angus Crighton.

The latter probably going to Union and a Sydney **** so probably wants too much, the other two decent options but likely too expensive to be bench options though Hess would cover middle/backrow perfectly imo.

IMO I still think Kleese Haas is the way forward, he impressed me last year at Titans, would be a cheap option and would likely be a very easy sell to come play with his brother.

Problems here:
- Crichton is expensive and the chickens won’t let him go
- Hess is a middle but also out with an ACL
- Su’A would love to come back I’m sure but no way the Dragons would let him
- Haas is starting for the Titans, we probably missed the boat on that in the preseason

All roads point to TPJ

Problems here:
- Haas is starting for the Titans, we probably missed the boat on that in the preseason

All roads point to TPJ
Hess played most of his games as a backrower, though he is on the big side(the ACL would kill it though we need someone this year), Kleese Haas is still free to be signed though, the question would be if titans would be willing to release him early which is what we really need(if possible that is the clear option for me).

TPJ imo is if all options are exhausted, unless he starts killing Qcup with Logan(possible given his talent but he would need to apply it).

Any Impressive backrow Qcup or NSWcup players would be the the easiest options.

Problems here:

All roads point to TPJ

Add in there cap and we still have to fill top 30.

Id ring the sharks and enquire about Billy Burns. Perfect fit for a bench backrower who can easily fill in at the centres if needed and isn't going to break the bank either.

Even if the likes of Baker, Tapau, Hunt, etc. play horribly, and get exposed weekly, I get the feeling that we will just stick with them anyway. I feel like the only way we will go out and buy a player mid-season if we get an extended injury list and have no one left to fill in.

just resign yourselves , tpj is coming back

maybe they can give him a hannibal type setup for the team meetings so he doesnt sow Discord amongst the ranks

fucken **** of a game last night friends

Problems here:

All roads point to TPJ
Haas is only starting while Fifita is out. I have no idea if he's any good though, I avoid watching Titans games where possible.

Haas is only starting while Fifita is out. I have no idea if he's any good though, I avoid watching Titans games where possible.
I think he is decent. Pretty strong defender considering his age. He is similar in a way to Payne, where he just goes out and does his job without being too adventurous or risk-averse. Would be a good bench option.

We do need a mongrel in our side, no doubting that.
Unfortunately, besides TPJ, there is a shortage of viable options from us to pick from. I can't think of many good players that would provide what we are looking for.

We are also in a position where our starting forward pack at full strength is excellent, and whoever we recruit, needs to accept that they will likely be a bench forward, with no real chance of overtaking Haas/Carrigan/Piakura/Riki any time soon. Jensen is the one player who could float between the starting team and bench, but I think he is has done enough to be a starting forward.

Kind of reduces the pool of players we can choose from.

In terms of getting a second rower here that can play a sort of Capewell role.

Josh Patston
Kane Bradley
Dylan Lucas (PLEASE)
Jed Cartwright
Brodie Jones
Jack Howarth (loan)
Klese Haas
Michael Chee-Kam
Luke Garner
Tyrone Peachey (more just genuine utility)

Sign one of them and you beauty. Potentially even one of them Patston and a middle forward (e.g. Tevita).

Should never of let Capes go. Would love to snag Dylan Lucas though that would be the ideal move in terms of premiership quality second rower-centre bench option. Wouldn’t find it fun but he could most definitely play 15-20 minutes through the middle of a middle went down and he’d need to join the rotation. Frizell & KPP are the SR there and Cartwright has the bench at the minute with Brodie playing 18th man so he has fallen to 5th second rower option. The likes of Jenkins and Enari Tuala would probably play centre over him in his current physical shape so an exit might be something he fancies if it’s a bench spot at the broncos.

Immediately the second row position looks like:
11. Riki
12. piakura
17. Lucas
Alternatives
Patston (sign him up)
Hunt (repurpose predominantly as a middle though)
Baker
Willison

IMO I still think Kleese Haas is the way forward, he impressed me last year at Titans, would be a cheap option and would likely be a very easy sell to come play with his brother would be a huge improvement over Hunt without breaking the bank, while being good enough to put pressure on our current backrow pair.
Hess is out for the season bro .
Hacked knee .

Active Now

• Battler
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • jd87
  • simplythebest
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Dash
  • Fozz
  • Allo
  • Jazza
  • teampjta
  • kiwibronco
  • eggstar10
  • LGH
  • Broncosgirl
  • Strop
  • Bucking Beads
  • phoenix
  • Wolfie
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.