Broncos boss explains club's bold calls

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRONCOS chief executive Paul White has fronted more than 4000 club members to address the minor discontent in the hearts of some fans.

“I know you won’t like every decision we make but please understand, they are always in the best interest of the club,” White told the crowd.

As always, White owned the issue.

He would later explain it was not just about the decision to release Dale Copley for James Roberts.

It was about the decisions the club has made in the past 18 months.

From sacking Anthony Griffin to hiring Wayne Bennett, a decision that fewer than 50 per cent of voters in a Sunday Mail online poll agreed with at the time, the Broncos have made swift and bold calls.

Copley’s release to the Roosters was a bold call, one some fans felt was harsh on a homegrown talent who signed with the club at age 13.

Regardless of whether it was harsh, Copley and the Broncos handled it professionally and Roberts brings strike power to their backline.

“You have to be honest with the fans,” White told The Sunday Mail.

“You have your ups and downs and times that are tough, but over the course of your tenure you have to make decisions not everyone agrees with.

“If everyone agrees then you are probably not making the tough decisions.

“Our members might disagree from time to time but they want competence, *accountability and honesty. If you give them those things, they will support you.”

The Broncos’ members day at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday morning was a great success and the best attended yet.

The club’s first trial is just two weeks away when the NRL Nines kick off in Auckland but the best talent will be on show in Bundaberg against North Queensland.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/b858a724bf1b6491bab712a82acb3d4d

Shows what geese the Courier Fail readers by and large are. Half or so didn't agree with booting Griffin and bringing back Wayne when it was as plain as day Griffin wasn't up to the job at that time.

Subsequent results have reinforced that.

Shows what geese the Courier Fail readers by and large are. Half or so didn't agree with booting Griffin and bringing back Wayne when it was as plain as day Griffin wasn't up to the job at that time.

Subsequent results have reinforced that.

Just look at how the news was taken on here.

I was about to ask . I wasn't on BHQ at the time , did most people really think it was a bad idea?

It caused a lot of heated debate.. But yeah, quite a few people were unhappy that we were bringing back Bennett and thought it was a bad idea. A lot of different opinions on why they thought it was a bad idea. But the main ones were his time at Newcastle meant he was past it, he signs dinosaurs and we would go back to square one when he retires..

Not because we were getting rid of Hook, everyone wanted him gone, but because we were bringing back Bennett.. And some argument as to how it was done..

Last edited:
I was about to ask . I wasn't on BHQ at the time , did most people really think it was a bad idea?

I can't think of a single person who wanted to keep Griffin ... the guy had to go.

bring back Wayne, on the other hand, was fiercely debated. probably around 75% of people on here wanted Bennett back, others like myself, feared that bringing him back would be mistake for a variety of reasons .... it is safe to say that we were wrong on that front.

I think the only member on here that didn't want Hook gone was FaithinHook.

Yeah it's easy to come on here in hindsight and say we were basically idiots for questioning the decision to bring back Bennett. Results have certainly proven us happily wrong but at the time, our concerns were legitimate. As Foordy said, most of us agreed Hook had to go but we just felt a different direction would ha e been better as opposed to what we thought was a step back with Bennett. We were very wrong but again, absolutely happy to be so.

Hmmm...

I'll say this much, one of my pet peeves in Rugby League is when fans scapegoat the coach and some of the comments directed at Griffen were ugly and obnoxious. Further, some people were painting Bennett as this flawless specimen who would make all the changes THEY wanted. Bennett wasn't going to select this player, Bennett would never do this, Bennett would never do that - of course ignoring Bennett had done those things and was still doing those things at the time.

And the same can be said vice versa. There was a lot of misinformation being spread and honestly it's a shame we didn't dedicate a 24 Hour thread to that. In fact, it's a shame we didn't put together another 24 hour thread, but then we were all too busy enjoying the footy. There wasn't a lot to be upset about last year.

I don't think you can take 2015 away from Bennett. Like most champions do, he came back from adversity and got a team to play for him and play some enterprising football. However, I'm under no illusion that 2016 is a brand new season and the Broncos cannot afford 2015 to simply be a honeymoon period. That's my biggest concern heading into this season quite frankly, although early indications, particularly with recruitment, has led me to believe the Broncos will go far in this competition.

Got to say, I'm glad Paul White is in charge of our club.

He lost his father this week. A lot of people probably would have taken some time off. But there he was on a hot Saturday morning explaining the decisions the club has had to make in the past couple of seasons. Something he didn't have to do, but he decided to because he cares about the supporters.

Don't need to explain anything to us.

White made the call to sack his mate and clear the decks for Bennett, everything has been above expectations since.

The only people beating their chests over Copley are those who enjoy grinding their axe.

Last edited:
Got to say, I'm glad Paul White is in charge of our club.

He lost his father this week. A lot of people probably would have taken some time off. But there he was on a hot Saturday morning explaining the decisions the club has had to make in the past couple of seasons. Something he didn't have to do, but he decided to because he cares about the supporters.

Damn. The guy's had a rough couple of years. That going along with his cancer while running the level of club he does. Major respect.

Damn. The guy's had a rough couple of years. That going along with his cancer while running the level of club he does. Major respect.

100% agreed. Most other teems hammer us for all our "unfair advantages"
One town teem etc....
Exceptional leadership is why the Broncos are so successful.
So grateful for our administration.

Active Now

• HarryAllan7
  • Big Del
  • RolledOates
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bucking Beads
  • Fitzy
  • Redux
  • broncsgoat
  • Financeguy
  • matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.