Broncos chasing top two finish

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
The Brisbane Broncos are eyeing off a top-two position with three weeks to go in the regular season, and are using their 2015 experiences to go one better.

Brisbane finished the regular season in second that year, going on to make the grand final before falling just short of premiership glory, losing by one point to the North Queensland Cowboys in one of the most memorable decider's of all time.

The players believe finishing second on the ladder was the key to their run to the grand final and their fate is once again in their own hands.

The Broncos currently sit second, with a superior for and against putting them in the box seat to stay there during the final weeks of the competition.

The first-placed Melbourne Storm are out of reach, but two wins from their next three matches would all but secure a top-two finish for Brisbane, assuming the third-placed Sydney Roosters drop at least one game during their run home.

Second-row forward Alex Glenn believes the advantages that come with finishing this high on the table are massive and his team have one eye on the ladder heading into this week's match-up with the St George-Illawarra Dragons at Suncorp Stadium.

"Finishing top two is massive when it comes to finals football. We got a taste of that in 2015 so we just have to make sure we are playing with a lot energy week in, week out," Glenn said.

"We've done that the past two weeks. We can't get comfortable. Teams are going to be coming up here pumped to play us and it's a great challenge for them. We know it's not going to be easy."

Although they did not achieve grand final glory in 2015, the Broncos had the perfect lead-up after finishing second on 38 competition points.

Brisbane defeated the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium in their qualifying final before disposing of the Roosters two weeks later at the same venue.

Winger Jordan Kahu said the home finals and extra week off were the keys to that achievement and he hopes for something similar this time around.

Kahu cited the Cowboys' failed 2016 finals run as further proof of the importance of a top-two finish, saying that Paul Green's men fell short in the preliminary finals that year because of the toll three finals games in a row had taken on them.

"I think in 2015 when we had that spot it was pretty crucial to us getting to the grand final. That week off in the finals is vital," Kahu said.

"It showed last year with the Cowboys how much of a toll it took on them the following week when they got beaten after playing us in the semi-finals.

"To finish well, get that home final and get that week off is just so important."

Departing utility Ben Hunt echoed Kahu's thoughts, saying that any team in a position to finish in the top four must try and force their way into the top two.

"It definitely makes your finals run a lot easier if you finish in that top two," Hunt said.

"I think every team aims for the top four and if you get there you want to be in that top two. It definitely makes your preparation and everything a lot easier so it will be good to finish there."

http://www.nrl.com/broncos-chasing-top-two-finish/tabid/10874/newsid/111061/default.aspx

I don't see why not......

After the past couple of weeks there has been a 2015 feel to it.

Sure they were sides that weren't at their best but the fact that we put them to the sword shows our mentality. These are games, where in 2016, we would have played down to their level and come away with an unconvincing win. But we went in all guns blazing and put them away easily, not without earning that right first.

I still question this sides hunger to do it week in week out, but so far so good.

Last 3 years its was the third team that won the premiership, hasn't it? I wouldn't mind this either.

Last 3 years its was the third team that won the premiership, hasn't it? I wouldn't mind this either.

I think It's usually the 2 teams with the best for and against that go to the gf too in the past few years

We're going better than the same point in 2015. I remember a close but hard-fought loss against the Roosters was "proof" for Bennett. The Sharks are arguably the equivalent of the 2015 Roosters and we totally dominated them.

We're the real deal, and that will be made clear so long as we don't drop our bundle this week and put away the Eels (who are extremely overrated) next week.

They do look like a team again, playing with confidence and having fun. They look hungry.

We're going better than the same point in 2015. I remember a close but hard-fought loss against the Roosters was "proof" for Bennett. The Sharks are arguably the equivalent of the 2015 Roosters and we totally dominated them.

I disagree. The Roosters at least attempted to save their season that year. The Sharks didn't give a **** the other night.

I disagree. The Roosters at least attempted to save their season that year. The Sharks didn't give a **** the other night.

Yup. The Roosters were white hot towards the end of 2015. The Sharks are going awful atm.

Well after looking at the ladder predictor, I'd say we are going to need to win all 3 of our last games to keep 2nd spot. The Roosters have a couple of easy games (Titans/Tigers) and should also be able to handle the Sharks meaning they are going to push us all the way.

If we win 2 games then I think we will drop to 3rd and play the Roosters away from home.

If we win 1 game then I think we finish 4th behind most likely the Eels and play the Storm which would not be a great first week of the finals.

Looking at our run we should beat the Dragons, same for the Eels if our attitude is right, the Cowgirls however are a bogey side for us, even missing some quality players they will still really compete and will be tough to beat at Townsville.

The Cowgirls have a tough run and by us potentially beating them Round 26 we could very well knock them out of the top 8 and the finals, that would be somewhat satisfying.

I'd rather finish 4th and play Storm week 1.

Unread

Active Now

• Griffo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.