Broncos conditioning is LACKING!

Look with the injuries it could all come down to bad luck but you have to admit we have had no shortage in the Griffin tenure. Also I don't need to look at skinfold readings because the players are often without a shirt before/after games (no homo) and I have done this for so long I can read body fat percentage in my freaking sleep.

So you can tell bone density and LBM just by looking at someone?

Again, injuries are anecdotal; nothing would suggest we've had more or less than any other club.

Last year

and even that was early in the rounds. I remember Gould jizzing over how big and fit the likes of Ben Teo were looking.

OP has a fair point. We look knackered at stages during the game.....some of that has to do with Griffin's poor use of the bench

but the rest certainly points to conditioning.

I was far from impressed when we ran out for our first game of the season. The guys were blowing after 2 minutes and clearly slowed down after about 15. I realise there is a lack of match fitness at the start of the year, but this was something else. The other teams (games that I saw anyway) came fucking BARRELLING out of the blocks - first game of the year, woo, yeah boys!!!

Ever since then it's been something I've noted. It got better through the early games, then seemed to drop off again and it's been poor ever since. We can't keep pace with most of the teams in the comp. Why?? With players like Thaiday, Glenn, Moose...we should be running OTHER teams off their feet... Absolutely bench use contributes, and I've been vocally critical of it all year. But I agree wholeheartedly with the OP: there is something wrong with the stamina of our team and it's been an issue since Game 1.

I thought we were really good in the first half of that Manly game. I thought we were showing heaps of potential and good footy!
Then the second half happened... :glare:

The thing is if you watch the individual players a lot dont show or rarely show signs of fatigue (any of the spinal players, Hoffman, Glenn, Gillett, moose, any benchies) there are a few (thaiday, hannant) that look stuffed instantly and their number of minutes accentuates this severely. I think one or two players being exhausted really dents the effort, morale and enthusiasm of the rest. Obviously line speed has to be affected and I think the drop off in intensity in line speed carries over into everything else..... The fitness of the players is predominantly cardio (partially muscular endurance as well) this is improved with frequent physical exertion. And I believe in some players cardio is lacking although they shouldn't be asked to play as many minutes that's what the interchange is for. Conversely body fat is a fairly simple equation, there are some minor complexities, but essentially it is body fat = energy in (how much you eat) - physical exertion (this affects cardio and can be very high in addition to body fat being high). I'm just saying judging someone's cardiovascular capabilities on body fat is silly.

thaiday has always got his hands on his head sucking in the big ones. when he does this you can see the world's biggest love handles

To be fair, Locky was a back who likely had a ridiculously fast metabolism and didn't need to make a pile of tackles on props all game. My suggestion is that because Sam has been forced into prop, the fat is likely a bit of padding to assist with his higher workload in defence on much bigger props. I agree he is looking chubby, but if I was forced into the front row, I would be eating Ben & Jerry's and pure lard for every meal in hope of minimising the big impacts with the extra cushioning.

Once he goes back to the second row (where he should have always been), if he doesn't lose the weight, then I'll criticise him.

At some point, individual differences must be taken into account: some people are built this way or that, have different metabolisms, lifestyles etc etc.

Maybe Thaiday is meant to be a lump? Trouble is, too many lumps hurts. I am reminded of SBW, JWHargraves, the Burgess Boys... and appropriate bench rotation. Interesting about Hook's use of the bench and the team's physical situation on the field at any one time.

Well I said it earlier in the week and after last nights display, I will stick to my statement. The Broncos conditioning is lacking. Perfect example of not being able to sustain the same energy for the duration.

Well I said it earlier in the week and after last nights display, I will stick to my statement. The Broncos conditioning is lacking. Perfect example of not being able to sustain the same energy for the duration.

Agreed ENTIRELY. I said it on the LU Broncos forum after our first game this year, most of our players look about 5-7kgs overweight, and no matter what you think, carrying extra body fat DOES affect your aerobic fitness capabilities.

In the off season, half our forward pack need to lose 5kgs straight up.

Thaiday is a front rower who is too soft to play in the middle. Kinda like Taylor.

I think someone else posted it would be a good idea to bring back Henjak's conditioning regimen ... IIRC, bootcamp he called it.

At the same time, it would a little more intelligent to get the ball out wide a lot earlier, especially off a pass from McGuire the way he gets through the line and looks for the offload/pass.

Instead, we still, interminably it seems, keep preferring to turn it inside, up the middle, although Hodges and Hunt roving about has improved things a little, but not enough for mine.

I think our forwards are unnecessarily overloaded (while Maranta has a nap out wide, 20m behind the play)

Last edited:
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.