Broncos drinking policy

What should the primary clause(s) be with an alcohol policy should the Broncos implement it

• Players should be breath tested randomly and always be below 0.05

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Players should be banned from public nightclubs and pubs

• Players banned from specific places where incidents have happened before or are deemed high risk (No

• Players attending public nightclubs, pubs and club functions must remain below 0.05

• Players should have a curfew by which time they must be home (eg 1am)

• Total voters
C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Obviously there's a lot of talk about the Broncos implementing a strict alcohol policy given the recent spate of incidents. Not just the high profile Alhambra Menage Four, but even on the weekend our Under 20s made the news when a) they were kicked out of a Brisbane nightclub and then b) had the police come to break up a rowdy party at one of their houses later that night. No big deal really, but it's a symptom of a culture of alcohol abuse in the club.

More of an issue was when the Broncos called a snap training session on a Sunday morning after a poor performance on Friday night, and players turned up drunk.

So what should the Broncos do about it? You can choose as many as you like. Talk a bit about what you think and why.

A real tough one... I'm not going to tick any of the above because quite a few have merit.

I like the idea of a curfew during the season, I really do. I think 1am is completely fair - these guys should be able to go to a pub to celebrate a win, and it's pretty clear that they wouldn't be there til 10.30 or so if they've played a night game. Two and a half hours in a pub is plenty of time. It would be hard to police, like anything else, but I feel it gives a good balance between being too strict and letting the players run wild.

Like every other "normal" group of people, I also think there should be some sort of "rotating roster" for designated drivers, or at least designated sober people. One sober bloke for every five to six who are drinking could ensure that there would be some sense out there - he could encourage others to leave if/when things get a bit hairy.

I think the issue of public nuisance and the reactions to it should be dependent on the severity of the situation. If one bloke has a bit too much to drink and is ejected from a pub, he should not be immediately sacked or anything else. Three strikes and you're out policy in terms of match suspension IMO - and that three strikes is to last the whole season. For more serious offences, a one-game ban along with extra training and/or counselling could be immediately implemented. If anyone has been charged by police for any incident, including public nuisance and wilful damage up to assault, they are to be immediately suspended while investigations continue.

I think the hardest part about all of this is that the club just need to find a balance. I'm living proof, and so are many of us, that drinking at pubs can just be fun and does not need to result in trouble. I know they might "cop it" more from patrons than others, but they really need to take a cautious approach and keep themselves out of the limelight at clubs.

Let them go and have beers together, aside from nights before the game and steer clear from sessions before training. Instill in them that it's really important that, if they are not home by 1am, they are at least then leaving the venue and hopping into a cab. Bring out the statistics - the vast majority of all pub violence happens from 1.30am onwards and steering clear of these times will help them avoid trouble.

Tell them it's fine if they want to dance, drink and make out with women in these clubs. But also tell them that, if they are going to be going further than that, to find a room. Their place, her place or a motel, it doesn't matter. Try at all times to keep it one on one, please. Regardless, the situation would be balanced heavily in our favour if it was a case of a girl leaving a club together with the bloke, hopping in a cab etc. Security footage of them leaving clubs, getting into the cab, testimony from a cab driver about their behaviour etc. would greatly reduce any chance of the issue of consent being brought up.

Gah, it's all so difficult. I just want them to keep their heads screwed on - it's so simple but so difficult to implement. Keep your head together, look after your mates, don't write yourself off and have fun while still keeping a bit of common sense involved. Please.

The points I would implement are:
Players to stay away from trouble spots
Only one night a week they can consume alcohol, with a curfew of 1-2am. That can be punished by a weeks wages or an internal suspension.
No alcohol during the finals series.
3 strike policy for being a public nuisance (punishable by internal suspension and fine), anything serious and you're goooorrrne.

I don't give a toss if they are young restless and cashed up, they're professionals no matter how educated or uneducated they are and they need to learn to act as such.

Below 0.05
1am curfew
3 strike policy
No drinking during finals.

Seems fair to me. I also think they should be allowed to celebrate an Origin Win/Loss. (Obviously the loss would only be celebrated by Peter Wallace etc) or a close family members wedding, birth of a child all that kind of important family stuff should also be exempted from the curfew.

Good point there mrslong. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to still expect them to observe the 0.05 limit in those circumstances.

1am curfew though, fair enough...particularly weddings or 21st birthdays etc.

Coxy said:
Good point there mrslong. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to still expect them to observe the 0.05 limit in those circumstances.

Of course to attend those they all need notes from their mums/mrs's first!

mrslong said:
Coxy said:

Of course to attend those they all need notes from their mums/mrs's first!

Yeah lets start getting the parents involved [icon_razz1

"And just some breaking news before kickoff, It appears Justin Hodges won't be playing today as his mum hasn't signed his permission slip. Apparently he is very sad about this at the moment and is colouring in by himself in the corner" [icon_lol1.

Excellent suggestions in the poll.

Whilst I am supportive of certain restrictions for now, I also believe that without proper education and mentoring, placing restrictions will not have their full desired effect. Obviously i'd expect that the club already has such measures in place, but clearly something's not working as it should.

The goal is to be able to get the players themselves to want to behave in a professional manner at all times, especially whilst "at work" during the season. As they are chasing their dream of playing football for a living, and taking in the cash benefits that go with it, you'd hope that as elite sportsmen with only a limited time to work their trade that they'd show at least some dedication and professionalism by not making a habit of abusing alcohol, staying out till the wee hours or putting themselves in dangerous situations during the season.

There's no need at all to be ridiculously strict, just some application of a bit of common sense and maturity.

Maybe the club needs to encourage more strictly private functions, preferably at a player's or someone at the club's place of residence or somewhere where the players will be well looked after and contained, for occassions that are obvious cause for heavy celebration or drowning of sorrows.

It's also been mentioned here before that the severe lack of old heads in the playing ranks these days has probably been part of the reason that standards have slipped, and i'm inclined to agree.

How do we fix this? I don't know exactly. Maybe in addition to strengthening the education process, the club could use the services of some past, respected clubmen to lay it all out for the current players (if they haven't already) and pay particular focus to the influential bad eggs in the group.

Bottom line is we need to try and get the players in the frame of mind where they actually want to act professionally and look after themselves, whilst still being able to enjoy life in a bit more of a responsible fashion. Surely thats not asking too much, alot of people in the world seem to manage just fine.

The Players should be trusted to drink within there limits for the regular season IMO. Once Finals time arrives maybe even a few weeks before finals alcohol should be banned unless the consumption is involved in a team bonding exercise. A curfew of 1 or 2 AM out on the town would be good also..

Coxy said:

So, you think them having 2 drinks and then 1 drink every hour thereafter is a reasonable expectation for a under-24 year old; for 26 weeks of the year?? eusa_think FTR; 2 stubbies (in an hour) puts you over 0.05. Hardly a binge.

Beads6 said:
The Players should be trusted to drink within there limits for the regular season IMO. Once Finals time arrives maybe even a few weeks before finals alcohol should be banned unless the consumption is involved in a team bonding exercise. A curfew of 1 or 2 AM out on the town would be good also..

Bingo! That is the balance right there. You have to trust the players (much like many of you parents explain how you have toi trust your kids), however toward the latter end of the season, the management should step up the intensity, a side effect of that would be a crackdown on drinking.

I'm not a fan of curfews in any way shape or form EXCEPT for the 2 days leading into a game.

If I were the coach/CEO of a professional sports team, I would expect my players to be in a state that they could legally drive at all times, yes. Regardless of training schedules, byes, personal events etc.

Again, hard thing to police. The only policeable thing would be to breath test all players when they arrive for training and rehab sessions, and any reading results in punishment. You can hardly show up at the players' house at 1am and ask to breath test them.

You would be a very fascist CEO.

Many, many, many players would walk from your club.

It's OK to say these things, and even expect them from some players ($400,000 Lockyer's, etc.). But how do you explain to a guy making $75,000 a year; that part of his contract to earn his (crappy compared to his team mates) salary, involves him remaining (basically) sober for 26+ weeks a year?

Just think about how few other proessions (I honestly can't think of any, barring people on call which isn't for 26+ weeks long) are expected to be on such a harsh regime.

I don't want to really discuss this further, you are all aware of my view, however, if I was a board member, I'd be concerned with a CEO trying to impose such a strict regime on players at my club.

IMO, something as harsh as no alcohol all season, would be destined to fail.

Hammo said:
It's OK to say these things, and even expect them from some players ($400,000 Lockyer's, etc.). But how do you explain to a guy making $75,000 a year; that part of his contract to earn his (crappy compared to his team mates) salary, involves him remaining (basically) sober for 26+ weeks a year?

He might thank you for saving him a lot of the cash he was spending keeping up rounds with Lockyer.

IMO, something as harsh as no alcohol all season, would be destined to fail.

Didn't the Roosters go most of the season without alcohol, with only one very low-key indescretion?

I would've thought sacrificing getting pissed during the season would be a small price to pay for the privilege of being a professional footballer, rather than a brickie or an IT nerd, or a banker.

I know I'd rather earn $75000 a year, not get pissed, and play football for the Broncos than earn $100K, get pissed as much as I like, and sit at a desk all day.

No. I'm pretty sure the Roosters cancelled their alcohol policy early in the season, straight after said indescretion.

And, you are right he might thank you, when he is earning hundred's of thousand's of dollars playing in another club/comp/sport.

In truth I don't think it's the guys on 75k we need to worry about - I'd say most of them have sense enough to know that with no rep caps and no superstar tag next to their name, they put a foot wrong they're goneski. It's the ones on double, triple or quadruple that who seem to think they can do whatever they want.

Absolutely. Low paid, unknown players never get in trouble.

Kind regards,
Arana Taumata

I'm not saying they don't get in trouble, Coxy - I remember Lacey, Te Reo, Seymour, Costigan - but I'd hope that those that have even the slightest shred of intelligence realise they're unlikely to get a second chance.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Bucking Beads
  • johnny plath
  • bb_gun
  • YeahNahMate
  • broncos4life
  • sooticus
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.