Broncos drinking policy

What should the primary clause(s) be with an alcohol policy should the Broncos implement it

• Players should be breath tested randomly and always be below 0.05

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Players should be banned from public nightclubs and pubs

• Players banned from specific places where incidents have happened before or are deemed high risk (No

• Players attending public nightclubs, pubs and club functions must remain below 0.05

• Players should have a curfew by which time they must be home (eg 1am)

• Total voters
Where is the "they should have 6 beers before each game" option? It worked for Doug Walters :D

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 14,00.html

THE Broncos' hardline approach to restoring their off-field reputation claimed its first victims this week - the entire Toyota Cup under-20s grand final side.

The team was banned from having its scheduled "Mad Monday" team functions as punishment for the behaviour of a handful of players.

The tough stance was in keeping with new NRL coach Ivan Henjak's vow to turn around the club's culture after three first-graders were embroiled in sexual assault allegations last month and captain Darren Lockyer was caught on video tackling a bar manager.

"It's common knowledge we've taken a bit of a battering about our image," Henjak said.

"It's important we learn from our mistakes and put plans in place so it doesn't happen again."

Well, he's off to a good start, at least.

I like the idea of punishing the whole team for a few guys' mistakes (to an extent, of course). Hopefully it will make them all look out for each other and keep themselves in line.

schmix said:
I like the idea of punishing the whole team for a few guys' mistakes (to an extent, of course). Hopefully it will make them all look out for each other and keep themselves in line.

That's more or less why I thought the Alahambra three should have been stood down from the Storm game - if they were truly devoted to the team, then letting down their teammates like that would do more to curb their ways than any fine or stern talking to...

Mick that was a nice sum up, especially since your key idea was all about balance.
Easier said than done.
Curfews are hard to police, especially to make it black and white. I'd want something different than a curfew but can't think of anything practical.

Culhwch said:
schmix said:

That's more or less why I thought the Alahambra three should have been stood down from the Storm game - if they were truly devoted to the team, then letting down their teammates like that would do more to curb their ways than any fine or stern talking to...

I think there was more than 3 there that night getting shitfaced who let down the team and i also think the club knows that if they dropped all those players that the season was over.

badav said:
Culhwch said:
schmix said:

I think there was more than 3 there that night getting shitfaced who let down the team and i also think the club knows that if they dropped all those players that the season was over.

That's what annoys me, a lack of standards in favour of the cause of winning. So the season is over. There's always next year, and next year the players might pull their heads in and get on with the business of winning the premiership rather than getting wasted and disgracing themselves and the club. As a fan, I'd have copped a thrashing as long as I knew the club had done the right thing for the club beyond the next game. I know there are thousands who wouldn't have, though.

I only really ticked the one I thought would apply to me at my job. I can't turn up drunk.
I also ticked the Three strike policy for public nuisance just because even if you get in a fight or something, that doesn't mean your contract should be ripped up there and then. As much as people say "Yeh but they are in the spotlight", I don't really care.

They should be able to go have a drink just like anyone else, if you think they should be fired solely on them being dicks when they are drunk, not many of us would have jobs here.

The Webb story out today is a good example of this. He did something wrong, gets punished by the law. End of story.

If he was a Bronco and these policies were in place, after this weekend just gone, Andrew Symonds would never be playing again!

Hammo said:
If he was a Bronco and these policies were in place, after this weekend just gone, Andrew Symonds would never be playing again!

I might be missing something here as had a busy weekend but what did Symonds do over the weekend just gone Hammo eusa_think eusa_think or are you meaning Charlie "who ate all the pies" Webb

BRONCOS NEW DRINKING POLICY

THE Brisbane Broncos have effectively grounded their entire playing roster for next season by preparing to implement the strictest anti-alcohol measures in rugby league history.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Brisbane's 10-point plan for next season, which includes scheduling Sunday morning training sessions to prevent weekend benders.

Brisbane's get-tough stance on boozing players comes after a two-day conference on the Gold Coast where incoming coach Ivan Henjak showed he will not tolerate any social ill-discipline. Broncos players will be told this week about the club's new stand against boozy behaviour.

Three Brisbane players - Sam Thaiday, Karmichael Hunt and Darius Boyd - remain under police investigation for alleged sexual assault at a Brisbane nightclub, while skipper Darren Lockyer is alleged to have tackled a bar owner in a separate incident.

While Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen denies the club has a drinking culture, the radical reforms indicate a deep concern about player behaviour.

The Broncos' anti-booze rules include:

PLAYERS to be stood down from first grade for failing to follow the rules;

NO booze at all between Sunday matches and Friday night games;

SUNDAY morning training sessions;

SATURDAY night curfews with a limit on the amount of alcohol consumed and the time players spend drinking;

TOTAL drinking ban for players with soft tissue injuries;

FAMILY members to be encouraged to attend social functions;

RECOVERY session on Saturdays after Friday night matches; and

POSSIBLE total bans depending on how side is performing.

Cullen said of the tough new guidelines: "We won't ban drinking per se, but we will have control over when they should drink and how much they should drink. If we play on Sunday and again the following Friday night, there will be no drinking in a five-day turnaround.

"There will be an emphasis on player recovery. We don't want any players drinking until they have been assessed by the medical staff, all have had a substantial meal and rehydrated completely.

"It's about putting responsibility back on to the players.

"They will know what's required and what the punishment will be for not adhering to the club rules."

In a revealing interview, Cullen also spoke about his relationship with Wayne Bennett. "Wayne and I have been friends for well over 20 years - not the sort of friends that meet every weekend and go and have a beer, lunch or BBQ together," he said.

"It would be silly to say the Roosters story (in 2006) didn't put some strain on that relationship, but we got over that fairly quickly."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/spor ... 09,00.html

Apparently that's the new broncos policy on drinking..... Who agrees?

Pretty tough, especially the nothing at all between Sunday matches and Friday nights, but I guess tough times call for tough measures.

I especially like the family members being invited and encouraged to attend social functions. Nice touch IMO.

As you said mick!, sounds tough but I think given what's been going on lately (and who knows what else that we don't know about), it's fair enough. Given how young most first grade footballers are these days and the fact that there are few senior players in the broncos ranks these days, I think it's a wise move.

Does anyone know what the limits are? And will players be subjected to breath tests on a Sunday morning if they've been out on the Saturday night?

I don't think it's too tough, sounds quite reasonable.

I'm sure they can control themselves from Sunday-Friday, that leaves Friday and Saturday night and don't train until sunday.

Yep, sounds totally fair to me. No doubt part of it is strict penalties for turning up to training drunk. So if they're recovering Saturday morning and training Sunday morning there's no way to get totally smashed.

Good moves.

eusa_think Ivan and Bruno read our list and votes.

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosAlways
  • Aldo
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Dash
  • Fitzy
  • Culhwch
  • Strop
  • Fozz
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.