Broncos feel good stories,

In 2006 I had a pretty big operation and had to miss one home game. I was pretty devastated and begged to go but wasn't allowed as I could hardly walk. A fan told Locky after the match that I was just out of hospital and had to miss the game. I got a call from him on my mobile. He wanted to see if I was ok and everything. Not long after was the grand final. I saw him the day before and he was asking me how I was feeling etc, and he wanted to make sure I had a hotel close to the stadium and tickets for the game. True gentleman!

I used to work at Sporting Wheelies and Disabled Association and through a mutual friend organised Gorden Tallis to come along as the guest speaker for our Awards Dinner, this was all done between me and him personally - nothing to do with the club (in fact to the point where when Tony Durkin found out, he got his nose all out of joint that I by-passed him - to which I said "Gordie happened to overhear me talking to a mutual friend about the dinner and he was straight over and offered to come along" - which is exactly how it all came about). Anyway he came along, was a complete hit and stayed all night dancing and chatting with the kids - many of whom have some pretty full on and confronting disabilities. He went back to the club raving about the night and the next year he organised Wayne Bennett to come along as the guest speaker, which was even more awesome. And for the next 4 years, Wayne made sure at least one of the Broncos came along and each year the one who came the year before rang me personally to find out when it was on and ask if they could come again (Gordie came every year). At no time did they ever receive any publicity for this, but they seriously made such a positive impact in these kids (and adults) lives just by being there and chatting to them.

That's awesome.

Was at a function where Steve Renouf was a guest speaker, since the hubby was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a couple of years ago I wanted to let Renouf know what an inspiration he was to play footy with diabetes etc to my husband, anyway he went over and above and asked lots of questions with how my hubby is coping and what he should do when playing sport and things that helped him in his playing years and also how there are new insulin pumps and how useful they were (he even showed me his, which was a bit ew but cool still). Top bloke, doing good things for Diabetes Australia.

Active Now

• Manlyman
  • NSW stables
  • Broncs1459
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.