NEWS Broncos have set Seibold up to fail

Does Broncos coach Anthony Seibold
need more support and mentoring

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
September 21, 2019 6:31pm

Broncos founding father Barry Maranta believes Anthony Seibold needs help and has called for the club to provide the career mentoring that Wayne Bennett received in his formative years at Red Hill. As Seibold embarks on a cultural shake-up of the Broncos, Maranta urged Brisbane hierarchy to provide greater support mechanisms around the 44-year-old as he prepares for his second year in charge in 2020.
While he won the NRL’s coach-of-the-year award in his rookie year with Souths in 2018, Seibold is still relatively inexperienced compared to the code’s leading mentors Craig Bellamy, Trent Robinson and Wayne Bennett.

Brisbane limped to the finish line. AAP Image/Dan Peled.

Brisbane limped to the finish line. AAP Image/Dan Peled.

Seibold’s current assistants Peter Gentle and Ben Cross have no NRL head-coaching experience. Maranta says Seibold can benefit from having a senior mentor as a sounding board. Throughout his career, Bennett spoke regularly with Jack Gibson and Ron Massey and embarked on study trips to America in his embryonic years at the Broncos at the behest of Maranta. “I actually feel a bit sorry for Anthony Seibold - I believe he needs help,” Maranta said. “There is an old saying that there is none so deaf as those who will not hear.

“My point is that there is a lot of resources out there and people who can help Anthony learn and develop. “Right from the start, when this strange business with the coach swap with Wayne Bennett happened 12 months ago, my instant thought was once the Broncos decided to hire Seibold, they had to back him and back him vigorously. “I look around and ask what are the Broncos doing for Seibold and whether they can do a lot more.”

In Bennett’s early years at Red Hill, Maranta and fellow founders Paul Morgan, Steve Williams and Gary Balkin funded professional-development trips for Brisbane’s foundation coach to work with NFL mentors.

Anthony Seibold has come under heavy fire this season. Picture by Annette Dew.

Anthony Seibold has come under heavy fire this season. Picture by Annette Dew.

The exercise paid dividends, with Bennett overcoming the type of early turbulence Seibold is now confronting to steer the Broncos to six premierships between 1992-2006. “When Wayne started at the Broncos, he had more experience than Anthony, but we still wanted to help him,” Maranta said. “I took Wayne to the Denver Broncos and he had two weeks working with their coach Dan Reeves. Wayne was side-by-side with Reeves to absorb what the best coaches at the highest levels did.

“Wayne also surrounded himself with premiership coaches in Australia like Jack Gibson and John Monie. “I don’t know Anthony Seibold personally but I wish him success at the Broncos and perhaps he needs a greater support base to help him in what is a very demanding position for a young coach.”

Ex sharks coach as assistant ?

Plenty can happen in the off/pre season though.

One would have thought that the Broncos would have thought about putting such a support structure in place when they signed Seibold instead of hoping he would be the messiah who saved the club from having to do what they were clearly incapable of doing and indeed failed dismally : creating a culture and a balanced roster to move forward, especially after the departure of such an influential person as Bennett. That process ought not to be left just to 1 person rather, it ought to be a team effort given the significant impact of Bennett's influence on both club and team.

Still, one can only hope this will work in a way that is more than an exercise in the Board saving face.

Last edited:
One would have thought that the Broncos would have thought about putting such a support structure in place when they signed Seibold instead of hoping he would be the messiah who saved the club from having to do what they were clearly incapable of doing and indeed failed dismally : creating a culture and a balanced roster to move forward, especially after the departure of such an influential person as Bennett. That process ought not to be left just to 1 person rather, it ought to be a team effort given the significant impact of Bennett's influence on both club and team.

Still, one can only hope this will work in a way that is more than an exercise in the Board saving face.
At times the club seems to be reactive, rather than proactive in addressing certain situations doesn't it?

At times the club seems to be reactive, rather than proactive in addressing certain situations doesn't it?

A major problem which has largely created the post-Bennett debacle

I totally agree with what Maranta is saying. Seibs needs a seasoned mentor. Unfortunately, the one who has that wealth of knowledge and ready for retirement is the person he took the job from. Maybe management could open channels to somebody like Warren Ryan his knowledge of the game is pretty well recognised. He's also an old school PE teacher so both have something in common.

From all reports Seibs seems exactly like the kind of guy who is huge on professional development. Send him to the NFL in the off season to get away from the media for a bit and to learn a thing or two. Get him hanging out with the all blacks. Sign Tim Sheens to an advisory roll. Get Hodges on as an assistant coach...both Justin Hodges

The club did have this in their plan until Wayne chucked his massive tanty.
AS comes across as a bit insecure and I doubt he would surround himself with coaches capable of taking his job.

Last edited:
From all reports Seibs seems exactly like the kind of guy who is huge on professional development. Send him to the NFL in the off season to get away from the media for a bit and to learn a thing or two. Get him hanging out with the all blacks. Sign Tim Sheens to an advisory roll. Get Hodges on as an assistant coach...both Justin Hodges
Yep, i like your idea about the all blacks. They have a winning culture and their coach would understand the immense pressures of having to have your team perform.

The club did have this in their plan until Wayne chucked his massive tanty.
AS comes across as a bit insecure and I doubt he would surround himself with coaches capable of taking his job.

Too bad. He has no choice. Who the **** does he think he is, beyond improvement? Um, let's look at last week's result again.

Too bad. He has no choice. Who the **** does he think he is, beyond improvement? Um, let's look at last week's result again.
I think he does have a choice tbh.
I agree , he should have people with aspirations of bigger things but that is my perception of him.

We gotta reign in whoever is handing out long term contracts to aging players
*cough* Lockyer *cough* White.

I think Lockyer or White is the most responsible for our current issues with our team roster.

Last edited:
We gotta reign in whoever is handing out long term contracts to aging players
*cough* Lockyer *cough* White.

I think Lockyer or White is the most responsible for our current issues with our team roster.

It's a group decision isn't it?

Love Locky, but he's been apart of some troubling group decisions before (Origin selections for example).

It's a group decision isn't it?

Love Locky, but he's been apart of some troubling group decisions before (Origin selections for example).

Somethings up, because we have not made a great signing decision for the better part of a decade outside of Payne Haas.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Dash
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Fitzy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Skyblues87
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.