Broncos keen on McGillvary

If Bennett told him he is too old to transition to the NRL then McGillvary may still end up here ... but wont be here, as unlike Hayne and Gould, when Bennett says something, he very rarely goes against that. (and especially not for a 30 year old winger)
Agree with your Bennett comment. But age isn't an issue there are still lots of backs running around at 29 that are valuable

5ft10 94kg average speed, good acceleration. If he does sign hopefully 200k and under. Anyone know what he is like under the highball?

5ft10 94kg average speed, good acceleration. If he does sign hopefully 200k and under. Anyone know what he is like under the highball?
Didn't catch many Eng games at the world cup and in the final Smith and Cronk only seemed to grubber for each other or Slater so not too sure how he goes under the high ball.

He isnt as good as a lot of people on here think he is. I think he is pretty mediocre tbh. I think the fact he looked second best to Greg Eden before his injury says a lot. Ryan Hall is the only veteran English winger we should be looking at. Walmsley is another imo who isnt anywhere near as good as a lot ( who probably havent seen much of them play in reality ) think he is. At least he probably has a bit of scope to develop, but he isnt worth the kind of money he is reportedly asking.

Thing that concerns me about that highlight video if you could call it that is literally every single one of those tries all he had to do was fall over the line. I could have scored all of those. I didn’t see any individual brilliance at all in any of them!

Thing that concerns me about that highlight video if you could call it that is literally every single one of those tries all he had to do was fall over the line. I could have scored all of those. I didn’t see any individual brilliance at all in any of them!
Which is what I was trying to say. He can finish with players all over him and he can do a lot of the work from inside our own half. He's not going to score one hundred metre tries but he will get us off to a good start on each set. He's pretty big at 95kgs and the way he moves makes him hard to tackle around the legs. Similar to Vidot, minus the dicks for hands.

wasn't there even a video of this bloke on the Broncos website at one stage where he said that he was told by Bennett he was too old to transition to the NRL... (could be wrong though, but i recall seeing something along these lines said by him)

Really? So who was the guy that said we won’t be signing James Roberts a week before we did? Bayne Wennett?

In that video interview on McGivallry he said he owes his career resurrection to Bennett because he believed in him. So how do you know he won't come for unders to try and prove himself in the nrl

When your 30 years old I don’t think your really wanting to take a pay cut on what might be your last contact for your career

His son is in the Manchester City academy, he has stated that he will never come abroad for that reason, unless he was to come on his own for a year and leave his family in the UK. If everything was to work out for his lad then in 5 years or so he could earn more in a week than JT and co earn in a year, or he could go to Brisbane Roar! ha ha ha.

McGillvary, whose name was everyone's lips during England's run to the World Cup final after scoring seven tries in five matches, has been linked with a move to England coach Wayne Bennett's Brisbane Broncos.

He has yet to field any interest from Australia and still has three years left on his contract with the Giants but admits his head has been turned.

"It was the best time of my life, I absolutely loved it," the Huddersfield-born winger said.

skysports-jermaine-mcgillvary-england-australia_4139523.jpg

McGillvary, 29, admits his age could count against him
"I'm a home bird, I don't really like travelling but going to Australia and being out of my comfort zone changed my perspective on everything.

"I always said Australia was too far but actually being there and experiencing the life, it made feel I could do that and I'd really enjoy it. And the kids and the family would enjoy it.

"I've not heard from anyone but, if an opportunity did arise I would definitely look at it seriously."

McGillvary, who is 29, admits his age could count against him but he insists he has plenty of years left in him after arriving late to rugby league.

"I still feel like I'm in my mid-20s because I was a late starter," he said. "I made my debut when I was 22.

"I haven't gone through all the tough pre-seasons and had all the operations that the other boys have had over the years. I feel in really good shape."

The WB factor is very real.

"England's man of the moment Jermaine McGillvary has revealed how a phone conversation with Wayne Bennett in which the master coach kept calling him by the wrong name helped fuel his international resurgence.

"But I didn't think that was a good sign," laughed McGillvary, who told the official World Cup lunch that Bennett kept referring to him as "Jamie" "

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Mister Wright
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • broncsgoat
  • Lurker
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.