Broncos legend calls for Wayne Bennett to step down as Brisbane coach

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Former Brisbane legend Steve Renouf has called for the Broncos to part ways with coach Wayne Bennett when his contract expires at the end of next season.

The seven-time premiership winning coach is signed to the club until the end of the 2019 season, but Renouf, who played under Bennett for 12 seasons, believes the time is right for a change.

“I think he should look at ending it there and passing the baton on,” Renouf wrote on NRL.com.

“He has been great for the club. He turned around a culture that was faltering.”

Bennett coached the club for 21 seasons from 1988 until 2008, returning to Brisbane in 2015 after stints with St George Illawarra and Newcastle.

“I think the Broncos are at the point where they will soon need a younger, fresher mind in there,” Renouf wrote.

“Hopefully he doesn’t get the tap on the shoulder and chooses to step aside at the end of next year.”

“His contribution to the Broncos’ success will stand forever, but you also can’t go on forever.”

Renouf believes the club has a ready-made replacement for Bennett, with Queensland State of Origin coach Kevin Walters ready to take the reins.

Walters returns to the Broncos this season as Assistant Coach, and Renouf says that should be the stepping stone to the top job.

“He won five grand finals for the club as a player. He is a career coach who has done his apprenticeship. He ticks all the boxes.

“If he comes in as the head coach of the Broncos he will not fail.”

Bookmakers Neds have Brisbane on the fourth line of betting at $11 to take out the 2018 NRL title.

The Broncos will feature in the opening match of the season when they take on St George Illawarra at Jubilee Oval on March 8th.

https://pickle.nine.com.au/2018/02/...e-renouf-calls-for-wayne-bennett-to-step-down

Does Renouf have anything to do throughout the day? Every second article is him lol

Could be worse. They could have gotten Tallis' opinion on the matter.

He's hoping for a comment of some sort from Wayne so he knows what best to write to disagree with him.

I was really impressed with Walters coaching QLD last year. If he can improve us as a side this year and the next, we can start to think about shifting Wayne out. Just need a decent replacement. I'd also want us to consider Paul Green. And Cam Smith as an assistant coach in the long run. He'd give us an advantage with the refs too.

to be honest, I'm not in disagreement with what renouf said in so much that this contract should probably be Wayne Bennet's last so as to allow the broncos to transition, whilst there is someone of quality available. But I don't think he should have said it publicly and I don't think he needed to put it that way. I also think so long as he is capable Bennet should be able to have input into the broncos on-field performance, but that may not always be as head coach, and I'm hoping bennet sees the need for someone to be given a go, and do so with the title of head coach, with all the responsibility, occalades and criticism that brings.
Unfortunately, it may be, like a lot of successful politicians he doesn't see the need for change until it is thrust at him like a dagger in the back.
He loves the broncos, and coaching young men as footballers, but also as young men. And I'd hate to him dragged away from it kicking and screaming. He deserves to go out the way he has always held himself, with quiet dignity and steely courage.

to be honest, I'm not in disagreement with what renouf said in so much that this contract should probably be Wayne Bennet's last so as to allow the broncos to transition, whilst there is someone of quality available. But I don't think he should have said it publicly and I don't think he needed to put it that way. I also think so long as he is capable Bennet should be able to have input into the broncos on-field performance, but that may not always be as head coach, and I'm hoping bennet sees the need for someone to be given a go, and do so with the title of head coach, with all the responsibility, occalades and criticism that brings.
Unfortunately, it may be, like a lot of successful politicians he doesn't see the need for change until it is thrust at him like a dagger in the back.
He loves the broncos, and coaching young men as footballers, but also as young men. And I'd hate to him dragged away from it kicking and screaming. He deserves to go out the way he has always held himself, with quiet dignity and steely courage.

I would not be the least bit surprised if Renouf got the ok or even the order from Bennett to say what he said.

Pearl was my original favourite so whatever you say you hunk <3

The key to transitioning is not entirely getting rid of Bennett, but keeping him on the books in a consulting capacity for a few years.

Losing Bennett was the worst thing to happen to this club in it's history, and it's a mistake I'd rather us not repeat.

The key to transitioning is not entirely getting rid of Bennett, but keeping him on the books in a consulting capacity for a few years.

Losing Bennett was the worst thing to happen to this club in it's history, and it's a mistake I'd rather us not repeat.

The difference this time is that we have an administration, more specifically a CEO, that knows what they are doing.

Our succession plan for Bennett leaving was actually quite brilliant, but Cullen fucked it up and we got stuck with Henjak instead of Bellamy.

Broncos aren’t going to make the same mistake, especially when we have a very good candidate lined up already.

In saying that, I would prefer if Bennett stuck around in a consulting role. But I don’t think it’s going to be doom and gloom if he doesn’t.

We are in very capable hands.

I've always hoped that he'd pull the pin as head coach and continue on in advisement role with the new. Fingers crossed that's what happens

Active Now

• Dexter
  • sooticus
  • Gaz
  • LittleDavey
  • phoenix
  • broncos4life
  • Big Del
  • pennywisealfie
  • winslow_wong
  • bert_lifts
  • lynx000
  • leish107
  • ettybay
  • bb_gun
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • BruiserMk1
  • Santa
  • Foordy
  • Rambstien
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.