NEWS Broncos legend hands down ‘scary’ Haas verdict

BHQArticleImagePayneHaasL

Broncos legend Petero Civoniceva has fired a warning shot over the Penrith Panthers – and the rest of the NRL – declaring that as formidable as Payne Haas has been, he is yet to peak.

Haas has assumed Civoniceva’s old mantle as Brisbane’s heavyweight leader, lauded as arguably the game’s best and most daunting forward.

The 117-kilogram wrecking ball will enter Sunday’s grand final as the man to once again set the tone for his side, on the back of a campaign in which he has still managed to transform his game.

Haas’ 189 running metres and 28 tackles per game this season have, miraculously, been expected. So too has his reluctance to make a mistake – missing just 10 tackles and committing only two errors in 22 appearances.

But according to Civoniceva, the 23-year-old’s ability to revolutionise his second-phase play shows his development is far from over.

Haas’ 47 offloads in 2023 are more than double his tally last year, ranking him fourth in the competition.

And Civoniceva sees further growth for the Broncos’ phenomenon.

“The scary thing for me is, he’s still so young, and I just think he’s got so much more to achieve,” Civoniceva said.

“It’s been wonderful to see his second-phase play and his ability to pass across the ruck, and being able to get guys to an edge.

“Now we’re seeing that second phase play he’s got more to give there, I think there’s a real opportunity to not only be fantastic in the go forward but also link with his fellow forwards, adding a bit of variation around the ruck.”

Haas has quickly entered the conversation to make a case as the Broncos’ best prop of all time.

The man who has idolised the great Glenn Lazarus has often been considered a player who could one day match the five-time premiership hero.

But Civoniceva said it was far too early to draw comparisons.

“To be honest, it’s hard to stack him up against anyone else because it’s so early, and that’s the scary thing,” he said.

“He’s achieved so much at a young age, but I just feel like you reach that peak in your game in your mid to late 20s, and into your early 30s even.

“The fact he’s doing this now is phenomenal, I’m really excited to see the potential that he’s going to realise.”

Time has done nothing to quell Civoniceva’s nerves as his beloved Broncos plot to end their 17-year premiership drought.

The 47-year-old was an integral part of three victorious Brisbane engine rooms, including the most recent, in 2006.

Back then, he and Shane Webcke led from the front, taking the challenge of meeting their rival pack personally.

Civoniceva saw the same characteristics in the present-day Broncos when they shocked the Storm 26-0 in week one of the finals.

Now faced with Penrith duo James Fisher-Harris and Moses Leota, he said that same intensity would need to increase again.

“It’s about taking your mind and body to another place in terms of having to go through whatever pain there is,” Civoniceva said.

“I think it’s starting with absolute intensity, and that was the most impressive thing for me in that Melbourne game – their line speed, physicality ... and obviously maintaining that rage.

“If successful in that, and overcoming your opposition front row or forward pack, you’re a long way towards winning.

“That was our mindset, winning that battle in the trenches.”

Sydney Morning Herald

I don’t know if it would help or hinder to get these Broncos Immortals, Civo, Webby, Brick and Co to come talk to the boys this week…I know the belief to run through a wall would already be high so would it help?!

Yeah Haas he is a enforce I love broncos am a Papua New Guinea, Brisbane Broncos fan ready to watch my team playing GF next week Sunday in my country PNG.
Go boy's get the Job done and we all celebrate your fan all the way from Papua New Guinea.

Yeah Haas he is a enforce I love broncos am a Papua New Guinea, Brisbane Broncos fan ready to watch my team playing GF next week Sunday in my country PNG.
Go boy's get the Job done and we all celebrate your fan all the way from Papua New Guinea.

Welcome to the forums! Great to see more passionate fans joining from far afield!

Like I said in the other thread, I think Payne is going to go next level this weekend. IMO there is no contest between JFH and Haas. The only guy that's been close to him this year was anonymous last weekend while Payne steamrolled.

The 1-2-3 punch of Haas/Flegler(Palasia)/Carrigan is going to roll down field and lay the platform for Reynolds/Mam/Walsh.

Like I said in the other thread, I think Payne is going to go next level this weekend. IMO there is no contest between JFH and Haas. The only guy that's been close to him this year was anonymous last weekend while Payne steamrolled.

The 1-2-3 punch of Haas/Flegler(Palasia)/Carrigan is going to roll down field and lay the platform for Reynolds/Mam/Walsh.

If Penrith’s famed defense gets breached early, I could see this being a bloodbath. I agree JFH isn’t on Haas’s level because no one is.

The opening 20mins will be very telling for the game.

This game has the potential to be origin level intensity... it's one of those games where you want to kick off first because that first tackle is going to be intense.

I think if we receive on the first kick off they will come hard at us, but I think we can still match them and get 45-50m for a kick.

If we kick off Fleg, Patty and Riki will be going hard at them... and to me Penrith's middles are more about defence than meters... they use the backs for meters. If we kick off I think we could have them kicking deep in their end and win field position early.

This game has the potential to be origin level intensity... it's one of those games where you want to kick off first because that first tackle is going to be intense.

I think if we receive on the first kick off they will come hard at us, but I think we can still match them and get 45-50m for a kick.
Can't wait. I hope we get the ball first. Haas running full pelt into the teeth. Let them know what's coming for the next 80.

It's going to be a classic.

If we kick off Fleg, Patty and Riki will be going hard at them... and to me Penrith's middles are more about defence than meters... they use the backs for meters. If we kick off I think we could have them kicking deep in their end and win field position early.

There are sets where JFH and Leota don't even need to move much, the kick goes over their head and the set comes to them they move 10m back while the set moves forwards 40.

It's great for their energy levels and great for their defence.

There are sets where JFH and Leota don't even need to move much, the kick goes over their head and the set comes to them they move 10m back while the set moves forwards 40.

It's great for their energy levels and great for their defence.
Yep ... that would be one reason I'd like to see us kick off in the first half. Kick off return sets are basically the only time JFH touches the ball in yardage.

Some early kicking whilst the back 3 aren't back there could unsettle that normal sort of process as well... teams aren't usually in great field position to kick early against penrith... but winning the field position battle is half of the issue against penrith and it's there back 5 that cause the issues on yardage sets.

Somehow limiting Edwards to inside the 20m off the kick and then dealing with To'o on 2nd/3rd tackle is probably where you can get some joy against the panthers.

Broncos have also worked well with the box kicking and Riki's kick chase... but that then comes down to yardage from the middles.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Shane Tronc
  • sooticus
  • HarryAllan7
  • Dash
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • teampjta
  • Lurker
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.