Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Untitled 2

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has built most fearsome pack in NRL

July 23, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand the views of
thise who have doubted Bennett since his return, especially due to this season’s results but for mine, the wealth of talent coming through the ranks that we have, and if he is in fact able to keep them all together for the next few years is yet another amazing chapter in his massive career.

This season is the most excited I’ve been since 2015, and that is despite my opinion that we will barely even make up
the numbers come finals time.

Just seeing the amount of talent that has been blooded this year is incredible to
me and the only team to come close in recent years is the last batch of young panthers talent.

Last season I lemented that since Hodges and Parker retired, and Milf’s at times less than impressive on field attitude that I no longer felt any real emotional investment toward the players at our club. The only real exception I could name was Gillo. To me any other player could have left the club and I would have barely registered a reaction. This club used to brim with players I felt attached to. As a very stoic personality, I still honestly got choked up in recent history when Hodges, Parker, Lockyer, Petero, and even to some extent Scotty Prince retired. And I can’t even mention Yow Yeh because it hurts too much. So it was disheartening how little I truly cared about our team.

But now, win or lose I tune in every week and enjoy watching kids like Isaako, TPJ, Staggs, SuA, Offa and Haas grow as players and bring a new culture to a club that had ‘lost its aura’.

Sorry for the rant.

If we aren't even close to favorites for the Premiership next year, the world doesn't make sense.

If we aren't even close to favorites for the Premiership next year, the world doesn't make sense.

Why? We'll have pretty much the same team as this year. We'll be better for the run sure, but it'll be a few seasons before these young kids can really threaten for a premiership. Still very excited though, and not saying its impossible - I just don't think we'll be premiership favourites based on the potential of some forwards in their late teens/early twenties.

Last edited:
Might be close but certainly won't be favorites. It's a young side which will be missing vets like Sammy and Sims. Probably won't threaten till about 2022.

Still need a halfback though.
Might be close but certainly won't be favorites. It's a young side which will be missing vets like Sammy and Sims. Probably won't threaten till about 2022.
These two statements go hand in hand.

For the first time in a long time, I'm convinced that we have a pack that really meets the required standard. We have a backline with strike, particularly if either Bird or Staggs takes left centre and makes it their own.

The key is an effective halves combination. Milf has made excellent inroads in broadening his game but finding the right foil for him is the key to unlocking this side's potential.

I see Oates has not been mentioned in the pack. I hope we are still able to retain him though as he is our best second-rower playing on the wing. How many other teams in the comp have a gun second-rower bringing the ball back from the back? Milf's kicking game (40/20) is improving out of sight, when is going to start chipping for Oates to pluck from the air. Corey must be one of the tallest wingers in the comp yet I can barely remember him taking a cross-field kick to score in the corner from Milf.

I see Oates has not been mentioned in the pack. I hope we are still able to retain him though as he is our best second-rower playing on the wing. How many other teams in the comp have a gun second-rower bringing the ball back from the back? Milf's kicking game (40/20) is improving out of sight, when is going to start chipping for Oates to pluck from the air. Corey must be one of the tallest wingers in the comp yet I can barely remember him taking a cross-field kick to score in the corner from Milf.
I was thinking this the other night too. In 2009 Lockyer was kicking to Folau every 2nd set of 6. I concluded that it must have something to do with the fact that it can lead to a 7 tackle set if it goes wrong, that was never a consequence for Locky.

I was thinking this the other night too. In 2009 Lockyer was kicking to Folau every 2nd set of 6. I concluded that it must have something to do with the fact that it can lead to a 7 tackle set if it goes wrong, that was never a consequence for Locky.
Yeh the 7 tackle rule is a good point you make. Still it must be worth using it every now and again to give the opposition another headache to consider when we are attacking. The more you keep them guessing the better.

Maybe Oates just isn’t that strong under the high ball? He’s certainly no Folau

Definitely underused, nonexistent might be a better term, in our current attack and I think it is something we should definitely look to bring in. Although for me i think the better option for us would be the chip kicks to the second row area.

Centers are very good nowadays at blocking out wingers and potentially Oates and Kahu are not astute enough to get around them and get a clean shot. Having them come in field and attacking against second rowers, halves, etc. May be the better option as they're not as used to blocking out runners.

We also have athletic second rowers now that could be taking those kicks. TPJ whilst big is very skillful and physical so I could imagine him taking these kicks. Gillett would and has taken them in the past. Even Glenn as a former junior center could compete for air balls and I believe has in the past.

Isaako down the middle of the field against fullbacks is another option that could be very beneficial to us.

I think the concern about 7 tackle sets is very much the issue for why it has been missing, but the kicking is getting better so we should now be looking to exploit our physically superior players for easy points.

Just give Wayne the job until he wants to give it up. If he keeps this roster together, and it sounds like they buy into the Broncos and Wayne as a person, we are going to have an absolutely INSANE side, especially when the wheels start falling off the storm after Smith, the age of the Souths pack starts to hit them, and the rorters get done for cap cheating/ they have no one to direct their stable of mercenaries post-Cronk. And the best thing is we have brought them all into the NRL.

Good god it's going to be satisfying seeing the storm struggling like the Cows have this year. Meanwhile we'll have 4-6 of the absolute best young talent coming into their primes with years left on their contracts and the media melting down about the cap.

Add in a fully fit Gillett and Bird next year and wow.

Gillett and Bird will more than cover for them in that department.

Last edited:
I can understand the views of
thise who have doubted Bennett since his return, especially due to this season’s results but for mine, the wealth of talent coming through the ranks that we have, and if he is in fact able to keep them all together for the next few years is yet another amazing chapter in his massive career.

This season is the most excited I’ve been since 2015, and that is despite my opinion that we will barely even make up
the numbers come finals time.

Just seeing the amount of talent that has been blooded this year is incredible to
me and the only team to come close in recent years is the last batch of young panthers talent.

Last season I lemented that since Hodges and Parker retired, and Milf’s at times less than impressive on field attitude that I no longer felt any real emotional investment toward the players at our club. The only real exception I could name was Gillo. To me any other player could have left the club and I would have barely registered a reaction. This club used to brim with players I felt attached to. As a very stoic personality, I still honestly got choked up in recent history when Hodges, Parker, Lockyer, Petero, and even to some extent Scotty Prince retired. And I can’t even mention Yow Yeh because it hurts too much. So it was disheartening how little I truly cared about our team.

But now, win or lose I tune in every week and enjoy watching kids like Isaako, TPJ, Staggs, SuA, Offa and Haas grow as players and bring a new culture to a club that had ‘lost its aura’.

Sorry for the rant.

Recruiting talent and retaining is why you have Bennett. It’s always been his key strength and who he has his record. Thus need for him to be football director. But seems he lost his hard edge and is tactically very stale. Doesn’t have to be an insult just reality of where is likely is at this stage of his life. Love to see the Ikin boys get a crack with him to balance them out.

Agree it’s huge watching the young blokes like TPJ, Offa and Sua just ripping in and developing. It’s a huge difference to watching some of the other ones who generally try but look a bit complacent and either past or never hit their probable peak.

With a halfback and probably alternate hooker might be building up to 2020. 2019 while not impossible relies on a lot of young forwards avoiding second year syndrome and finding a spine that can gel.

Recruiting talent and retaining is why you have Bennett. It’s always been his key strength and who he has his record. Thus need for him to be football director. But seems he lost his hard edge and is tactically very stale. Doesn’t have to be an insult just reality of where is likely is at this stage of his life. Love to see the Ikin boys get a crack with him to balance them out.

Agree it’s huge watching the young blokes like TPJ, Offa and Sua just ripping in and developing. It’s a huge difference to watching some of the other ones who generally try but look a bit complacent and either past or never hit their probable peak.

With a halfback and probably alternate hooker might be building up to 2020. 2019 while not impossible relies on a lot of young forwards avoiding second year syndrome and finding a spine that can gel.
I think by Ikin boys you actually are saying Walker boys.

The Ikin boys? How horrible, one is more than enough.

Unread

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • heartly87
  • broncos4life
  • azza.79
  • Confidor
  • davidp
  • bert_lifts
  • Johnny92
  • Redfern_1980
  • Justwin
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Ondi
  • jarro65
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bish
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • porouian
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.