Broncos Players in SOO 1 2019

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Thoughts / observations / discussion about how our boys went tonight?

Thought Fifita was immense and if he can do that on an origin stage it begs the question why he isn’t getting more opportunities at club level.

Haas not his dominant self for mine...didn’t quite rise to the occasion which isn’t surprising for such a young kid.. will only get better and learn from this whole series and origin experience.

Gillett produced another reliable, high-effort performance in my opinion... nice to see him get some early ball on the edges.

I thought Offa was impressive... most notably no errors / penalties that I recall and took some good hard runs when QLD needed it.

Promising all round for our boys.

Go Queensland

Fifita was quality, his Origin future is bright

Haas was quiet for mine. People are welcome to disagree. Wouldn't be cutting him yet though if I were Fittler

Gillett was damn good, very unlucky not to have a try and was a brick wall in defence

Joe was very solid off the bench, if not game turning.

Reckon Gillett and Ofa will be rested this weekend with Fifita and Haas on the bench

Reckon Gillett and Ofa will be rested this weekend with Fifita and Haas on the bench

Was half hoping we’d get to see more of Fifita for Broncs considering he came off bench in Origin but he played some substantial minutes tonight

Reckon Joffa will be out as that knee gash sounded pretty serious. He went well when he was on, but Fifita did some stuff that should just not be allowed by a 19 year old.

He'll easily be a mainstay in the Roos team soon.

On the Haas game I think it might come back to the NSW selection.

I don't think it was the right call to have 1 prop on the bench... and to make it worse it was a 19 yr old prop with 10 first grade games.

Murray had to be there maybe Crichton wasn't needed... maybe Murray starts over Jurbo... but I reckon Haas was probably a lone hand when he came on and was easy to target when he came on.

Thought Joffa was really good and unfortunate to get injured.

Fifi was immense... even at this level he looks huge compared to seasoned forwards at the top of the game.... SIGN HIM UP ALREADY!!!!!

Matty G came up with some great defense and trademark line speed to rock their forwards.

Goates done pretty well I reckon, but could've been more involved... I think NSW kicked away from his side to reduce his impact on tackle 1&2, so he might need to fix that a little bit and get himself to the other side of the field. It was apparent early that QLD were relying on the backs to take early hitups and he is pivotal in that game plan... He can't let kicks to the other side of the field take that whole area of his game out

Last edited:
Thoughts / observations / discussion about how our boys went tonight?

Thought Fifita was immense and if he can do that on an origin stage it begs the question why he isn’t getting more opportunities at club level.

Haas not his dominant self for mine...didn’t quite rise to the occasion which isn’t surprising for such a young kid.. will only get better and learn from this whole series and origin experience.

Gillett produced another reliable, high-effort performance in my opinion... nice to see him get some early ball on the edges.

I thought Offa was impressive... most notably no errors / penalties that I recall and took some good hard runs when QLD needed it.

Promising all round for our boys.

Go Queensland
Offa was impressive because he made no errors yet haas also made no errors, missed no tackles but made more, yet he was dissapointing? I think he is a victim of his own media hype. He is an 18 year old prop with 10 games experience who held the middle for nsw in 40 minutes of origin. Astonishing for mine. He was very solid, ofa was great though and showed how stupid it was to pick Wallace over him last year was..

I thought the game changed a little when Fifita came on. He was good, had some really hard runs.
Joffa, I thought was solid, as was Gillo.
Oates kept his good hands, which have cost him in previous years in the origin arena.
Spewing Oates missed out on that 1st try, he finishes that 9/10 times in club land - had him for 1st try scorer also.. :ouch:

Offa was impressive because he made no errors yet haas also made no errors, missed no tackles but made more, yet he was dissapointing? I think he is a victim of his own media hype. He is an 18 year old prop with 10 games experience who held the middle for nsw in 40 minutes of origin. Astonishing for mine. He was very solid, ofa was great though and showed how stupid it was to pick Wallace over him last year was..

My expectations for Haas are definitely higher than for Offa.. probably partially hype yes, but also based on what they produce weekly at club level.

Haas doesn’t have the errors and penalties in his game to the same extent Offa does. Think the point about NSW only having one middle on the bench is valid... not saying Haas was bad, just not dominant like we’re used to seeing from him.

My expectations for Haas are definitely higher than for Offa.. probably partially hype yes, but also based on what they produce weekly at club level.

Haas doesn’t have the errors and penalties in his game to the same extent Offa does. Think the point about NSW only having one middle on the bench is valid... not saying Haas was bad, just not dominant like we’re used to seeing from him.

Nsw has no ball or momentum when Haas was on. The penalty he gave away was dumb, but it was his only error.

None of the Broncos boys let their respective team down last night.
Fifita was impressive. My non-Broncos watching mate who had never seen him play before rated him.
Joe was solid and didn't put a foot wrong.
Haas was slow to find his feet but he'll be there long term.
Oates didn't fk up thank god.

I still think Haas' value comes in being able to play at a high intensity for such a long period of time. I don't think he was bad, but he wasn't as good as others - in fact it was great for a debut Origin game - it was just overshadowed by another rookie in Fifita ripping in and the fact that Qld were on top for most of the second half.

Last edited:
I’d say this is the likely side:

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Shibasaki
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. TPJ
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Flegler

14. McCullough
15. Carrigan
16. Su’A
17. Haas

I thought the game changed a little when Fifita came on. He was good, had some really hard runs.
Joffa, I thought was solid, as was Gillo.
Oates kept his good hands, which have cost him in previous years in the origin arena.
Spewing Oates missed out on that 1st try, he finishes that 9/10 times in club land - had him for 1st try scorer also.. :ouch:
Joffa was more than solid would've made over a 100m+ if it wasn't for his injury.
Fifita came on when we had all the momentum, definitely didn't look out of place. The scary part is that he did his job with ease and his going to get better.

I’d say this is the likely side:

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Shibasaki
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. TPJ
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Flegler

14. McCullough
15. Carrigan
16. Su’A
17. Haas
I reckon this week Carrigan is definitely getting more mins.

Seeing Gillo attempting a charge down signalled to me that he's almost back to where he was before his injury. Another two games of origin and I'm sure he'll be back in the groove.

Yeah I think we are starting to see him gain some confidence as the season has gone on, coming back from the injury he sustained wasn't going to be easy, give him some time and I think your right.

Last edited:
Seeing Gillo attempting a charge down signalled to me that he's almost back to where he was before his injury. Another two games of origin and I'm sure he'll be back in the groove.
Yeah the charge down and some dominant defence too. Hopefully this was the confidence booster he needed.

Unread

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Waynesaurus
  • kwomo
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Wolfie
  • Evander
  • Strop
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Dexter
  • mystico
  • Yellowfella
  • bert_lifts
  • Mr Fourex
  • Allo
  • Ffs...
  • broncotville
  • mitch222
  • Big Del
  • jd87
... and 29 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.