Broncos recruitment & players missed

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
I thought I would start a new post of current stars and future stars that have been in the broncos backyard, and for whatever reason have now gone on to other clubs with bright futures. I understand they can't have them all but questions need to be asked on what is going on with the broncos recruitment and scouting.

I'll start with the obvious who are currently playing top grade. No doubt I will miss a few but this is a starting point.

Jonathan Thurston, played junior footy at sunnybank and went to school in his teens in towoomba... It doesn't get any worst than missing this guy...

1) D.C.E, was offered to the bronc's during his junior days in mackay. However he was told he was to slow and small, then he played colts as west panthers and the broncos vision was still short sighted. We all know how this kid has developed and how good he will end up being.
2) Dylan Napa, born in bris and went to school at shorncliffe, this kid played fr the aspley devils.. Whom I thought were part of the broncos feeder system... He will play origin in the next few years.
3) Sam Kasiano, Played juniors for norths devils. Again this is a broncos feeder club.
4) James O'Connor, of rugby union fame. Was with the broncos however they cut him for being to small.... His career has gone off the rails but he is worth noting.
5) Ill name these 3 together as they all played in brisbane, cameron smith, billy slater and cooper cronk... Enough said...
6) Chris Mcquuen, kingaroy junior who played for easts tigers and was picked up by the bunnies. has now gone on to play origin.
7) Josh papali, grew up in Logan.. Admittedly souths/logan have a relationship with the raiders however he lived less than 30 minutes from brsbane.

Future stars;

Moses Mbye, was offered to the broncos as a junior, he was told he wasn't good enough... Now looks to be the future at canterbury and an origin prospect.
Cameron Munster, was with the broncos however he was let go for whatever reason byt he club and went back to rockhampton. Storm swooped and is now being tipped as the replacement to billy slater.
Anthony milford, we all know his story. Grew up in logan... He is now on his way to the club, however via the raiders.
Brenko Lee, another from the south of brisbane. Tipped to have a long nrl career.
Cooper Bambling, rockhampton junior who was with the broncos, however due to internal politics he left the broncos and signed with the cowboys. He is still only young but is a player of enormous potential.
Sam Scarlett, went to school at nudgee. Not wanted by the broncos and was picked up by the panthers. Insider's at penrith suggest he will be there long term half..

These are just a handful of kids that I could name, but I am sure there is plenty more around.

I'm sure this thread will end up with 200 pages of venting but to tbh this has been done to death.

We all know that brisbanes recruitment department was asleep at the wheel for many years and we have paid for that, and will pay for that for the next few years to come. But it seems pretty obvious that the have taken massive effort to rectify this. Things like getting pinky Edwards, the academy out marsden way etc.

Unfortunately we will continue to pay for previous mistakes for the near future because now these areas are fixed up we need to wait for these players to come through

Anyone want to write a list of all the great players the Broncos did recruit or developed?

Yep, as soon as the club realises it has been 8 YEARS since we've been an actual premiership threat, thanks to bad internal politics, bad recruitment, bad player purchasing and most of all, bad coaching.

But hey, our t shirt sales to 7 year olds is going well...

I'll argue that we were a genuine threat in 08 personally.

And in 2009. If it wasn't for the Storm, we could have gone back to back. I think we definitely would have won 2009.

And in 2009. If it wasn't for the Storm, we could have gone back to back. I think we definitely would have won 2009.

If it wasn't for 15 other clubs we could have won last year as well.

You really just grasp at straws whenever someone is negative about the broncos. Face it we are currently fucked.

Not really grasping at straws considering that the amount of players we have turned into superstars supersedes the amount of players we have missed. We didn't do too badly in 2011 either. I'm not denying that we are fucked and I never have. But holy shit you guys like to repeat the same crap every day. We agree, we have missed some stars, we need a new coach, change the god damn channel already!

what ... no mention of the biggest recruiting mistake in recent memory ? the mistake that we are still paying for 4 years on ? the name that there is no possible substitute for in our foreseeable future !

I certainly haven't forgotten

Craig Bellamy ... we should have paid whatever it took when we had the chance ... circa 2009/10 or thereabouts (I don't care to look it up) ... but the management stuffed it up and in turn it lead to the GI stuff up

The single worst mistake in Broncos history ... way worse than losing Priddis when we did ... way worse than Prince leaving after his broken legs and playing his best footy as a Tiger ... diabolically bad with the vision of hindsight

Oink !

what ... no mention of the biggest recruiting mistake in recent memory ? the mistake that we are still paying for 4 years on ? the name that there is no possible substitute for in our foreseeable future !

Craig Bellamy ... we should have paid whatever it took when we had the chance ... circa 2009/10 or thereabouts (I don't care to look it up) ... but the management stuffed it up and in turn it lead to the GI stuff up

The single worst mistake in Broncos history ... way worse than losing Priddis when we did ... way worse than Prince leaving after his broken legs and playing his best footy as a Tiger ... diabolically bad with the vision of hindsight

Oink !

yeah ... if we had Bellamy we could have had a wooden spoon just like the Storms

Oink !

testify.

Yep
Story goes Cullen left him to wait for a couple of hours to sign the contract and he said **** you rang the Storm from the waiting room and said I am resigning

Defamatory comments

Last edited by a moderator:
and your proof that he in anyway was involved in their salary cap scandal?

Last edited by a moderator:

Active Now

• Battler
  • Broncorob
  • Kev_Guz
  • Hurrijo
  • Brocko
  • Gaz
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • something
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  • Behold
  • Harry Sack
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.