Broncos rejected Bennett bid to be Lockyer's assistant

S

Smithdom

BRL Player
Mar 18, 2008
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 89,00.html

WAYNE Bennett offered to become an assistant in 2013 to a rookie head Broncos coach in Darren Lockyer, his biography reveals.

It was part of a rearguard bid by the master coach to extend his stint at the helm of the Broncos.

A succession plan, advanced by Bennett last year and rejected by the Broncos board during a powerplay that ultimately led to him leaving the club at the end of last season, is revealed in the just-released biography.

Bruno has a lot to answer for.

Wayne's book is now on my must read list!

Wow. Could you imagine that. Coach: Darren Lockyer, Assistant: Wayne Bennett. What a combo!

You can only asume management wanted a fresh start post Bennant. A clean out some of the cob webs aproach to feshen the place up a little.

I'd expect locky to spend at least a year or 2 as an assistant coach before he takes on the head role. As good as I know he will be as a coach I don't want to see him rushed. Nathan Brown was rushed a year or 2 too early and he's been hung out to dry now. I wouldn't ever want to see the same happen to Locky.

It's probably better that Bennett went sooner rather than later, the Broncos were in need a change IMO. I'd definitely like to see Lockyer take on a coaching role eventually though.

I agree Scotty. Broncos were due for a change, but more importantly, so was Bennett. He had grown stale at the Broncos, despite what he may believe himself. Going to the Dragons will do him the world of good, even if he doesn't get the success he wants and the wankers kick him out after his contract.

I'm pleased that, publicly, the split was amicable. It wouldn't have done anyone any good if Bruno and Wayne had gone toe to toe in the media. As it was, everything written about it was just speculation.

mal said:
Wow. Could you imagine that. Coach: Darren Lockyer, Assistant: Wayne Bennett. What a combo!

Thats what i was thinking. That would be amazing

mal said:

Would never have worked. Seriously you can never go from being the boss to be the subordinant to someone you used to be the boss of.

Also I would prefer to see Locky be an assistant for a few years somewhere else before coming back to be Head Coach at the Broncos. Otherwise it will be more of the same - he needs to be exposed to and work in a different place/culture to make him more well-rounded.

Get over yourself Bennett you were never going to be at the Broncos for that long... FFS talk about muck raking...

Agree with Flutterby to a certain extent.

More than anything, Bennett would have been calling a lot of the shots with that system, not because Lockyer would have been a push over or anything, it would have just been a system very advantageous for WB. I'm glad it did not go ahead. I still think WB should have went a couple more years for the 'new' Broncos to get the WB experience, but this was not planned in that way.

I feel a bit more sorry for Henjak now actually. Almost sounds like he's a caretaker coach until Locky retires and is ready to coach. If that's the case, he'll get 5 years in the job max!

5 years as coach of any NRL team these days is great. You won't see anouther 20 year coaching stint in our lifetime trust me. NRL is big business, loyalty is at a second tier to results. Any coach no matter how good they are if the team misses the finals a few years in a row can expect to start packing bags these days. Coaches like graham murray and nathan brown have been even making the finals in recent years and that hasn't saved them!

If 5 years is what he gets thats not bad.

Thank god! Go from one man who refuses to talk to a man who can't talk.

i love how everyone assumes lockyer would be a good coach just coz hes a fantastic player lol

QUEENSLANDER said:
i love how everyone assumes lockyer would be a good coach just coz hes a fantastic player lol

Well, if Bennett mentioned that Lockyer would be coach if it was up to him at least half a dozen times lately, then he obviously saw something in him that would suggest that Lockyer would be a good coach.

Brilliant players always make brilliant coaches.

Regards,
Wally Lewis

mal said:
Could you imagine that. Coach: Darren Lockyer, Assistant: Wayne Bennett. What a combo!

Noone would understand a word they said. [icon_razz1

Coxy said:
Brilliant players always make brilliant coaches.

Regards,
Wally Lewis

That's not fair, wally coached a crap team with no hope, Lockyer would have a top side with huge chances. Had Lewis taken over the broncos who knows what he would've done.

Active Now

• Evander
  • Lurker
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.