Broncos rookie leans on his family

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
WHEN George Fai was preparing to play in this year’s World Club Series for the Broncos, there was a moment where the young forward doubted himself.

Sitting in his hotel room in England, Fai knew he would run out the next day to take on Warrington without any of his family in the stands.

One of five children, it was hard for the 20-year-old to come to terms with the fact his loved ones were 15,000km away.

To calm his nerves, he rung his dad.

It was his first time playing without any of his family in attendance and he was struggling under the pressure.

“I called my dad and I just said I didn’t know whether I could play because I was nervous,” Fai said.

“My old man just gave me my motivation and told me I’d be all right.”

Three months on and now Fai will tackle his next big rugby league milestone — his first-grade debut.

The Souths Logan enforcer is in line to take on Manly this week and this time his family will be in the seats of Suncorp Stadium.

Fai, a product of rugby league nursery Keebra Park State High, has been waiting for this day for a long time.

Still living at home with his parents and his younger brother — Titans under-20s star Justin Fai — the Logan Brothers junior knows he wouldn’t be making his debut if it wasn’t for his family.

“My family are my everything and helped me get to where I am today,” he said.

“I know that when I’m coming home, I’m coming home to a good family.

“When I go to sleep, I don’t have to worry about anything because my parents are always there to help me and they’ve shown me the right path.”

Fai was signed to the Broncos at the age of 15 and came through their under-20s system.

He struggled with the pressure of the NYC and was close to being axed by the Broncos before Wayne Bennett moved him to the Intrust Super Cup with Souths Logan.

Since moving there, Fai has blossomed into a genuine first-grade contender, begun work as a teacher aide to find an off-field balance, and also lost 8kg to improve his NRL chances.

The only thing standing in his way ahead of Saturday is the possibility that James Roberts could come back from an ankle injury.

But if Fai does debut, it will be a just reward for all his hard work.

And while he can no longer be a teacher aide, he still has his perfect balance off the field to keep him grounded.

It is, of course, his family, but especially the presence of his three-year-old nephew, Izayah.

They will be who he plays for this Saturday.

“Sometimes before I run out on the paddock, I’ll have a quick look at my phone and look at photos of Izayah and know that I’m representing him and my family,” Fai said.

“He’s just my happiness at the moment ... he’s been a massive influence on my life.

“I’d give him my heart if he needed one. I love the kid.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...i/news-story/2b74295c07a8d79e462b08e48dca1699

WHEN George Fai was preparing to play in this year’s World Club Series for the Broncos, there was a moment where the young forward doubted himself.

Sitting in his hotel room in England, Fai knew he would run out the next day to take on Warrington without any of his family in the stands.

One of five children, it was hard for the 20-year-old to come to terms with the fact his loved ones were 15,000km away.

To calm his nerves, he rung his dad.

It was his first time playing without any of his family in attendance and he was struggling under the pressure.

“I called my dad and I just said I didn’t know whether I could play because I was nervous,” Fai said.

“My old man just gave me my motivation and told me I’d be all right.”

Three months on and now Fai will tackle his next big rugby league milestone — his first-grade debut.

The Souths Logan enforcer is in line to take on Manly this week and this time his family will be in the seats of Suncorp Stadium.

Fai, a product of rugby league nursery Keebra Park State High, has been waiting for this day for a long time.

Still living at home with his parents and his younger brother — Titans under-20s star Justin Fai — the Logan Brothers junior knows he wouldn’t be making his debut if it wasn’t for his family.

“My family are my everything and helped me get to where I am today,” he said.

“I know that when I’m coming home, I’m coming home to a good family.

“When I go to sleep, I don’t have to worry about anything because my parents are always there to help me and they’ve shown me the right path.”

Fai was signed to the Broncos at the age of 15 and came through their under-20s system.

He struggled with the pressure of the NYC and was close to being axed by the Broncos before Wayne Bennett moved him to the Intrust Super Cup with Souths Logan.

Since moving there, Fai has blossomed into a genuine first-grade contender, begun work as a teacher aide to find an off-field balance, and also lost 8kg to improve his NRL chances.

The only thing standing in his way ahead of Saturday is the possibility that James Roberts could come back from an ankle injury.

But if Fai does debut, it will be a just reward for all his hard work.

And while he can no longer be a teacher aide, he still has his perfect balance off the field to keep him grounded.

It is, of course, his family, but especially the presence of his three-year-old nephew, Izayah.

They will be who he plays for this Saturday.

“Sometimes before I run out on the paddock, I’ll have a quick look at my phone and look at photos of Izayah and know that I’m representing him and my family,” Fai said.

“He’s just my happiness at the moment ... he’s been a massive influence on my life.

“I’d give him my heart if he needed one. I love the kid.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...i/news-story/2b74295c07a8d79e462b08e48dca1699

I thought Fai was a Marsden boy, not Keebra?

Active Now

• JayTeeM
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • Tim K
  • BroncoFan94
  • FACTHUNT
  • Strop
  • Confidor
  • Hoof Hearted
  • PETERN
  • johnyE
  • Jazza
  • broncoscope
  • Bongo
  • Jedhead
  • bb_gun
  • YeahNahMate
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BRC088
  • Stix
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.