Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest rumour is the Broncos will sign Cobbo, but for a shorter deal taking him through to end 2024. The fanfare is he's forgoing bigger offers to stay. Not paying any attention to the dollar amounts because everyone gets upset over them. The words chosen are "will" rather than "set to" or "expected to." It sounds like it's happening to me, but it's not done yet, so no biro for now:

His agent, Tas Bartlett:

“We’re well advanced in negotiations with the Broncos, we are getting to the pointy end. Selwyn wants to stay a Bronco. He grew up following the Broncos, he is living his dream playing for the Broncos and they have done a lot of welfare work to help get Selwyn to this point. The Broncos are in pole position, Selwyn is enjoying playing under Kevvie. He wants to show a sense of loyalty to the club.”​
Ikin:

“The challenge for us is to build a footy program that convinces guys like Selwyn Cobbo or Herbie Farnworth to stay. If we do that, our best kids will find it very difficult to leave. We won’t be able to keep all our players all of the time, but I’m confident we have a work environment that people love being a part of. We would love to keep Selwyn. The good clubs in the marketplace have the ability to keep players and attract other quality players and that’s the benefit they get from the strength of the system they have got.”​

Selwyn:
“I love the Broncos. I grew up watching them and from a young age, I came through their system and through to the top grade. The Broncos have done so much for me and I want to perform for them. Hopefully we will be back up the top soon.”​

Latest rumour is the Broncos will sign Cobbo, but for a shorter deal taking him through to end 2024. The fanfare is he's forgoing bigger offers to stay. Not paying any attention to the dollar amounts because everyone gets upset over them. The words chosen are "will" rather than "set to" or "expected to." It sounds like it's happening to me, but it's not done yet, so no biro for now:

His agent, Tas Bartlett:

“We’re well advanced in negotiations with the Broncos, we are getting to the pointy end. Selwyn wants to stay a Bronco. He grew up following the Broncos, he is living his dream playing for the Broncos and they have done a lot of welfare work to help get Selwyn to this point. The Broncos are in pole position, Selwyn is enjoying playing under Kevvie. He wants to show a sense of loyalty to the club.”​
Ikin:

“The challenge for us is to build a footy program that convinces guys like Selwyn Cobbo or Herbie Farnworth to stay. If we do that, our best kids will find it very difficult to leave. We won’t be able to keep all our players all of the time, but I’m confident we have a work environment that people love being a part of. We would love to keep Selwyn. The good clubs in the marketplace have the ability to keep players and attract other quality players and that’s the benefit they get from the strength of the system they have got.”​

Selwyn:
“I love the Broncos. I grew up watching them and from a young age, I came through their system and through to the top grade. The Broncos have done so much for me and I want to perform for them. Hopefully we will be back up the top soon.”​

Nice work bro, this is the way it should be done.

His agent, Tas Bartlett:

Ikin:

Selwyn:
I would be happy to get him extended but thought it would be for two years.

Broncos are probably pushing for a 2yr extension, but his manager doesn't want him locked into a value before it sky rockets.

Extension to 2024 doesn't give us much time to assess his fullback credentials and the assurances needed to throw big money at him... I think if Herbie leaves then the best approach would be Cobbo to left centre and maybe fullback the following year, but only being able to extend him for 1 extra year might fast track that move to fullback in 2023 and then we also have to find a left centre.

I think if it does end up only being a 1yr extension then TMM becomes a vital re-signing... if we can keep TMM on good value money it's kind of a trade off.

TMM playing a spine position but on an above average wage, offsets Cobbo getting paid spine money to play and develop in the outside backs.

I would be happy to get him extended but thought it would be for two years.

Broncos are probably pushing for a 2yr extension, but his manager doesn't want him locked into a value before it sky rockets.

Extension to 2024 doesn't give us much time to assess his fullback credentials and the assurances needed to throw big money at him... I think if Herbie leaves then the best approach would be Cobbo to left centre and maybe fullback the following year, but only being able to extend him for 1 extra year might fast track that move to fullback in 2023 and then we also have to find a left centre.

I think if it does end up only being a 1yr extension then TMM becomes a vital re-signing... if we can keep TMM on good value money it's kind of a trade off.

TMM playing a spine position but on an above average wage, offsets Cobbo getting paid spine money to play and develop in the outside backs.
If this turns out to be true, I'm completely happy with it. I would expect him to be on similar money to Kotoni, more or less. And that seems to be the ballpark of where the talk is. I'm not a fan of the strategy of trying to lock a player in for less than he's worth or doing a Milford and breaking the bank on potential. We've already seen with Payne we have to keep topping up the pot if we get them too cheap.

If he's what we think he is, his next contract might be closer to a million, and we'll have to decide whether we can afford to tie that kind of money up in a player who might be the best in class, yet not captain or chief playmaker. The same conundrum we have with Payne.

I think we have to give DD and Ikin credit for managing the cap. We've had the millstones of Bird, Lodge and Milford over the last 5 years sucking up a huge part of the cap with little return.

Seems like our top paid players are all fit and firing. Reynolds is the only real gamble due to his age and injury history but he seems to bring a lot of intangibles off the field as well.

Herbie is giving 110% on the field physically but his temperament is very much that he's torn. I think he really, really wants to keep playing for the Broncos, but we aren't offering anything close to what teams like the Dolphins are.

Herbie is giving 110% on the field physically but his temperament is very much that he's torn. I think he really, really wants to keep playing for the Broncos, but we aren't offering anything close to what teams like the Dolphins are.
Yup 100% my take on it as well. I believe his heart is with the Broncos but the $$ is at the 'Phins. I don't think I'd begrudge him if he left, but I do hope he stays.

Yup 100% my take on it as well. I believe his heart is with the Broncos but the $$ is at the 'Phins. I don't think I'd begrudge him if he left, but I do hope he stays.

You kind of just hope the Broncos see his teary eyes and say "alright will another $30k help you stay"?

Our problem is we have Kotoni and Selwyn looking at big money otherwise there wouldn't be much hesitation on giving him more because he's probably one of the best in his position in the game. Reminds me alot of Joey Manu.
I'm hoping some of his mates at the club convince him to stay he's also got the Pearl who's a family friend who id hope would be in his ear.
He's out at PBR tonight with Reno, Oatesy, Capewell, Kobe, Paix, Turpin so I hope their in his ear tonight to stay.

Badel reporting that the Dolphins are resigned to losing out in the race for Herbie.

Says the Roosters want him and have links to him through Phil Clarke who is a family friend of Herbie.

Says the Raiders want him, but his preference is to stay in QLD

Says the "rampant" 5 match winning streak is "set to" keep Herbie at Red Hill

Say we are yet to receive official notice from Herbie's management, but are quietly confident of keeping Herbie, on the back of our current form which has seen morale soar. Badel says that the Dolphins agree and are making other plans for the composition of their backline, believing Farnworth will not walk out on a Broncos club that is thriving under coach Kevin Walters and charging ominously towards the finals.

Bennett says:

“We have spoken to him, so we have to wait and see what he is doing,” Bennett said.

“Deadlines are a waste of time, they really are. They never work.

“If you want the player bad enough, you just have to wait sometimes until they make a decision, so we’re waiting.”

Badel reporting that the Dolphins are resigned to losing out in the race for Herbie.

Says the Roosters want him and have links to him through Phil Clarke who is a family friend of Herbie.

Says the Raiders want him, but his preference is to stay in QLD

Says the "rampant" 5 match winning streak is "set to" keep Herbie at Red Hill

Say we are yet to receive official notice from Herbie's management, but are quietly confident of keeping Herbie, on the back of our current form which has seen morale soar. Badel says that the Dolphins agree and are making other plans for the composition of their backline, believing Farnworth will not walk out on a Broncos club that is thriving under coach Kevin Walters and charging ominously towards the finals.

Bennett says:

“We have spoken to him, so we have to wait and see what he is doing,” Bennett said.

“Deadlines are a waste of time, they really are. They never work.

“If you want the player bad enough, you just have to wait sometimes until they make a decision, so we’re waiting.”

This could be huge. If we retain Herbie and Cobbo we have two unreal centres and potentially the next big thing at fullback once Cobbo develops. I’d rather spend the money on these guys then big dollars on forwards.

We potentially have a gun backline starting to form if they all sign and stay fit

This could be huge. If we retain Herbie and Cobbo we have two unreal centres and potentially the next big thing at fullback once Cobbo develops. I’d rather spend the money on these guys then big dollars on forwards.

We potentially have a gun backline starting to form if they all sign and stay fit
And all 3 are under 24 too and all of them are improving week by week.
You could say we've seen more improvement in all of them this year then we have seen in Coates down in the Melbourne system

You could say we've seen more improvement in all of them this year then we have seen in Coates down in the Melbourne system

Coates get bent backwards everytime he runs the ball. He is good on the end of a Melbourne 2 on 3 but that’s about it. He is not even close to elite when it comes to doing the hard stuff out of their own end

I think Coates is what he is, he's quite athletic, fast runner, good leaper..

Not sure how much more he is though, we've seen Selwyn come up with some big big plays, we've all seen the tries but the one the stands out to me was when he received the ball deep in our in-goal and he made a terrific effort to get back in the field of play, not sure how many would be capable of that. Not just that, he's taking tough carries and earning the respect of his teammates and the fans of the club in doing so.

700k? I think it's a bit more than the club would like to be paying him given he's still quite raw but if in 12 months time he steps into fullback and is able to fulfil the defensive work required, it could be a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • kiwibronco
  • Lozza
  • pennywisealfie
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.