Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only point I am making is: other than Reynolds we don't have one back who convincingly holds his position. Not because they are so good we want to promote their talents elsewhere, but because they haven't done enough to own their positions.

The two possible exceptions to that are Oates and Staggs. Oates because either he holds a wing, or he's dropped. And Staggs who owns a centre if Walters wants to leave him there.
Staggs definitely owns his spot as does Oates. Cobbo is also in the position of “so good we want to promote his talents”. The rest will al do a reasonable job if they retain their position (ie Gamble, Farnworth, Niu)

Staggs definitely owns his spot as does Oates. Cobbo is also in the position of “so good we want to promote his talents”. The rest will al do a reasonable job if they retain their position (ie Gamble, Farnworth, Niu)
Yes, but how many winning teams go into a season not knowing who their halves and fullback are?

Also Staggs owns which position? And many are calling for Oates to be shot out of a cannon.

Yes, but how many winning teams go into a season not knowing who their halves and fullback are?

Also Staggs owns which position? And many are calling for Oates to be shot out of a cannon.
I would say all of the following have question marks over the exact make up of their spine next year:

Sharks, Rabbitohs, Roosters, Knights, Titans, Bulldogs, Cowboys, Raiders, Tigers

How many of those teams can you tell me with 100% certainty what their spine will look like round 1?

Staggs is a centre, I didn’t realise that was in question? There was some talk of “promoting him because of his talents” to 6 but Kev and Katoni have ruled that out.

Yeah, I actually think we have pretty great backline depth sans fullback. I agree that you could make an argument for about 5 different combinations.

I’d probably start with:

1. Niu
2 Oates
4. Cobbo
3. Staggs
5. Farnworth

But could just as easily go

1. Niu/Cobbo
2. Oates
4. Lee
3. Staggs
5. Farnworth

at this stage I think Cobbo is our long term fullback, it’s just a matter of when, and I think Niu has probably done enough to start there.

I think Gamble has earned first shot at 6 but I don’t really want to see too many unforced changed this year. Either way, whoever plays 6 out of Kelly and Gamble will only be a stop gap while we wait for Mam to come of age. This coming season should have a focus on building the Reynolds / Mam combo on the training paddock and grooming Mam to take over the 6 in 23.
does herbie suit wing tho ? i feel like he is more of a centre but katoni and cobbo are better

I think cobbo starts next year on the right wing,if niu shits the bed cobbo likely goes to 1 farnworth to the right wing and lee to left center

Ryan James spends too much time with Greg Bird for my liking. Didn’t the bloke glass his missus? Why would anyone go near him.

This is exactly why I feel uneasy about next season. We only have one back set in stone: Reynolds. Not one other player is entirely convincing in any position. Other than Kotoni in the centres, and we're talking about moving him to 6. It makes me nervous.

I can't form an opinion about where Tesi, Jamayne, Herbie, David and Selwyn should play. I haven't written off Jamayne, but he's back of the queue right now. And I'm undecided between Albert and Tyson.

I expect this:

1. Tesi
2. Corey
3. Kotoni
4. Herbie
5. Selwyn
6. Tyson

But I'd probably rather

1. Selwyn
2. Corey
3. Kotoni
4. Tesi
5. Herbie
6. Albert
14. Tyson

But you could jumble those names any which way and end up in an argument.
The 2nd one, with Brenko instead of Tesi, would go alright I think. I have Gamble ahead of Kelly at the moment, but it's a coin toss really.

Farnworth owns a spot in the backline ... the only question is which position. but guaranteed he gets one of them (and rightly so)

November 1 - let’s the craziness and merry go round start and by start I mean continue.
I’m actually really interested to watch how the Dolphins go. All the optimism could dissipate pretty quickly if a few big names get re-signed or snapped up by other clubs. They’ve already missed out on Walker and Storm have put the Munster option to bed.

If Parra or dogs keep/land Mahoney, Cheese stays at Storm or goes to Titans, Manu goes to NZ, and Welch stays put all of a sudden they’re in a lot of trouble trying to field a good team.

I’m actually really interested to watch how the Dolphins go. All the optimism could dissipate pretty quickly if a few big names get re-signed or snapped up by other clubs. They’ve already missed out on Walker and Storm have put the Munster option to bed.

If Parra or dogs keep/land Mahoney, Cheese stays at Storm or goes to Titans, Manu goes to NZ, and Welch stays put all of a sudden they’re in a lot of trouble trying to field a good team.
They will go hard at their marquees and settle on the rest a bit further down the track. Carrigan I can’t see leaving because he won’t get an offer in a suitable time. There looking to make sure that no errors are made and splashing big on a bloke who just did his acl without seeing him back up is very risky.

If the phins sign any of our current top 30 players for 2023 do we immediately drop them to qcup for next season like people were calling for to happen with Coates this year?

I don't think the Dolphins will struggle but I can't see them having a team like what the Titans had in their first year, the Titans were able to build a great team

I think where they will struggle (despite having all these rumoured pathways) is that they won't have the depth beyond their initial 30 player squad the other clubs have. With us for example, we have Mozer and above average kids like that coming though, will the Dolphins have that? I don't think they will.

I also think that's where the Titans have fallen short in recent times, they haven't developed too many themselves have they.

I don't think the Dolphins will struggle but I can't see them having a team like what the Titans had in their first year, the Titans were able to build a great team

I think where they will struggle (despite having all these rumoured pathways) is that they won't have the depth beyond their initial 30 player squad the other clubs have. With us for example, we have Mozer and above average kids like that coming though, will the Dolphins have that? I don't think they will.

I also think that's where the Titans have fallen short in recent times, they haven't developed too many themselves have they.

Why won't their junior teams be as good as the other teams?

Their Colts came third and CC first, MM didn't have a good year. Those grades have produced whole NRL teams for the last 20 years, I don't see why they'd just lose that ability in 2023.

Why won't their junior teams be as good as the other teams?

Their Colts came third and CC first, MM didn't have a good year. Those grades have produced whole NRL teams for the last 20 years, I don't see why they'd just lose that ability in 2023.

Ask Penrith all about that, only in the past couple of years has it turned into success at NRL level.

They've been dominant in most of the lower grades in NSW for a while now

Having Wayne is going to help. I've been saying it for a while though, 2024 is going to be the year they bring in the star quality imo. As long as they are competitive and dont get blown away every week i think thats a solid start for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • NSW stables
  • Kev_Guz
  • Brocko
  • azza.79
  • Swordfish
  • Wolfie
  • Foordy
  • Battler
  • pennywisealfie
  • BroncosAlways
  • The True King
  • Broncosgirl
  • Tmac
  • broncsgoat
  • GCBRONCO
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.