Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
they don't plan to do that either. they're reportedly sticking to the 450k offer for Mahoney. 1 or 2 more defections might change their minds (if Mahoney isn't one of the defections)
Thats a mistake if thats where they intend to end up. I think their strategy to lowball early in negotiations is bad but I can see the reasoning behind it. If you start low you may get more realistic offers from other clubs on the table in the first instance to start the bidding. A better policy to apply to Gutho than Mahoney.

Parra have a really badly balanced cap. Niukore they probably did the right thing with, but not paying 600k for papalii is a mistake. When you look they have about 1 million a year tied up on Opacic and Blake you see they haven't got things quite right.
Yeah they might be like us and making the hard calls they have to make. I was surprised the Warriors released Papalii. I always thought he was underrated and went to another level in 2021. Still, I think 600K from Papalii is absolute maximum to pay at best.

Parra have a really badly balanced cap. Niukore they probably did the right thing with, but not paying 600k for papalii is a mistake. When you look they have about 1 million a year tied up on Opacic and Blake you see they haven't got things quite right.
Blake's attack and Opacics defence make one good player. Those are crazy prices.

The way he recruits the teams he goes to, anything less than a premiership is a huge risk for the clubs to take, they've all gone backwards after he moved on. St George, Newcastle, Brisbane.. all still finding their feet again. It happens too consistently to be a coincidence.

Souths' roster doesn't look in too bad of a shape but they are going into the season with a bloke who has had some high praise as their coach but isn't proven in the NRL, many of others have come through the right systems and gone to be huge failures, the Newcastle coach is probably the poster boy in that regard. I say their roster isn't too bad, they are going into the season having to rely on a rookie to step up and take the halfback jersey, I don't think there's any chance at all that Wayne lets Reynolds go under his watch.

He obviously only has eyes for his time at a club and doesn't care at all about the future of the club past his contract, Dolphins fans will be wary of that too, I imagine.
I mean south’s lost Reynolds, Sua and Burns. And perhaps a few others. And haven’t gained anyone of note. If they didn’t win the comp this year, you can bet your ass they aren’t going to win it next year

I mean south’s lost Reynolds, Sua and Burns. And perhaps a few others. And haven’t gained anyone of note. If they didn’t win the comp this year, you can bet your ass they aren’t going to win it next year
Reynolds, Gagai, Marshall, Burns, Moga, Sua.

Don't kid yourself, Fifita is a walk up start to the forward pack. If he still has the broncos colours on, we are rating him as the best second rower in the world right now. Pay packets are irrelevant when picking an origin side as there is no salary cap.
No, he really isn’t. Which is probably why he played game 1 as a starter and games 2 and 3 off the bench. Probably also why he finished the season with the Titans on the bench.

Fifita is a damaging runner of the ball, with one caveat: when he wants to be. Otherwise, he’s actually pretty lazy. He is a less skilful Dave Taylor. Now teams have started figuring out how to nullify him, he is struggling to come up with answers.

And that’s because all he ever had to do was run over the top of / around the other smaller kids. But that doesn’t work anywhere near as often in the NRL and even less in Origin. So unless he starts to increase his involvement and / or adds more to his game, he’ll probably end up down the same path as Dave Taylor, which will be a shame, but not totally surprising.

still not worth $500k that's overs for him and a fan , we need to re-balance our Cap and keep the cash for our spine.
Yeah I’d lean towards your thoughts on value too. Was more directed at people criticising his quality as a player.

The way he recruits the teams he goes to, anything less than a premiership is a huge risk for the clubs to take, they've all gone backwards after he moved on. St George, Newcastle, Brisbane.. all still finding their feet again. It happens too consistently to be a coincidence.

Souths' roster doesn't look in too bad of a shape but they are going into the season with a bloke who has had some high praise as their coach but isn't proven in the NRL, many of others have come through the right systems and gone to be huge failures, the Newcastle coach is probably the poster boy in that regard. I say their roster isn't too bad, they are going into the season having to rely on a rookie to step up and take the halfback jersey, I don't think there's any chance at all that Wayne lets Reynolds go under his watch.

He obviously only has eyes for his time at a club and doesn't care at all about the future of the club past his contract, Dolphins fans will be wary of that too, I imagine.

I doubt very much the Dolphins support will be bothered. Wayne will go into this job with a different mindset.

Yeah I’d lean towards your thoughts on value too. Was more directed at people criticising his quality as a player.
definitely think he's quality, although I still think it's a bit early to say how good he'll be.

in 2020 he averaged

156m per game
67 PCM per game
46 tackles per game (6th in NRL)

The problem with stats, they don’t tell the whole story.

There’s so many variables. For starters they don’t tell the effectiveness of the run. They are at lock, late in the tackle count and after the defence has already been softened up by the props. It’s a position he won’t be playing anymore due to Kobe being groomed to be a ball playing lock.

When he comes back, he’ll be playing prop which is a tougher position and tougher to make metres. Even Corey Parker wasn’t all that effective there.

Add onto that he’ll be coming off a serious injury that a lot of players don’t fully recover from.

500k? It’s a bit much.

If he wants a better deal, give him 300k for a season and tell him to prove his worth. If he doesn’t want to do that, well he isn’t irreplaceable.

I can see WB getting in Patty’s ear and him signing for $500k and the honour of being the Dolphins inaugural captain. If I was a betting man I’d drop a lazy$100 on it as it’s more likely than not to eventuate. They need a captain and a solid player that will give them stability for at least 3 or 4 years. Carrigan gives them that.

I can see WB getting in Patty’s ear and him signing for $500k and the honour of being the Dolphins inaugural captain. If I was a betting man I’d drop a lazy$100 on it as it’s more likely than not to eventuate. They need a captain and a solid player that will give them stability for at least 3 or 4 years. Carrigan gives them that.
it'll be tino and smith , then ponga then Milford for captain

Banking a new team on Milford being starter and captain could be franchise suicide. No way I’d risk it if I’m at the dolphins.

The problem with stats, they don’t tell the whole story.

There’s so many variables. For starters they don’t tell the effectiveness of the run. They are at lock, late in the tackle count and after the defence has already been softened up by the props. It’s a position he won’t be playing anymore due to Kobe being groomed to be a ball playing lock.

When he comes back, he’ll be playing prop which is a tougher position and tougher to make metres. Even Corey Parker wasn’t all that effective there.

Add onto that he’ll be coming off a serious injury that a lot of players don’t fully recover from.

500k? It’s a bit much.

If he wants a better deal, give him 300k for a season and tell him to prove his worth. If he doesn’t want to do that, well he isn’t irreplaceable.

Pat took plenty of early runs and tough runs at that. He was basically playing like a prop at lock anyway. I dont think Kevvie will move him from lock tbh even though he should. He's always been much, much better at prop than lock anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.