Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

TPJ’s a classic case of wanting the talent without the attitude/personality

It’s all ifs and buts

If he can pull his head in, be a positive presence and cut ties with all the idiots in his ear, he’ll be amazing. If he can take instruction and not go rogue both on and off the field, he’s undoubtedly someone you want on your team

But, the skeptic in me can easily see him pissing off to the Roosters or Dolphins whenever he feels like it, and/or getting into trouble and bringing a Haas, Walsh or Mam down with him, or having a brain explosion on the field and costing us a big game. And also that he is now only jumping back in to a successful team after making his bed at a shit one - not holding himself accountable still.

Things are a bit different, Kev’s a different and better coach, so he may be able to deal with him better and has less idiots like Lodge and piss-weak ‘leadership’ like Glenn around, and Dave is now in the role longer than the ‘new CEO cuts out the toxic/dead/expensive wood’ phase.

We also have Reyno and Taupau who won’t suffer fools, the playing group is a year older and have gotten all the way to the big final so they shouldn’t ever want to play comfortable footy where someone like Pangai thrives in the worst way.

One thing in our favour this time is it’s seemingly a year-by-year proposition that will cost the same as a high-end squaddie that would only play maybe 10 games at most anyway. So we aren’t locked in to a huge deal that we’d have to cover again if he left

Overall though I wouldn’t risk it, unless he can show through actions he’s changed, because he’s said a lot of words that have added up to nought so far in his career.

One thing that may work one way or another, is that we make and win the GF, and we don’t pick him and see if he wants to stay around the following season to help the team again.

I think the funniest thing out of this TPJ saga is that Wayne went on about getting him to the club initially and he only wanted to go there because of Wayne..

Yet here we are, Wayne apparently spoke to him months ago and he still wants to come and play for us.

Bennett in 2021: “Well, he came here because of me, OK, he came here because he wanted to play under me, but that was taken away from him,” Bennett said

Get ya Phins up, flogs.

I wonder how Canterbury would feel about this, the talk was that he was essentially retiring from the NRL.

Looks like he’s about to sign a bottom end deal at a successful club after being on their books for all sorts of money over a long time.

I wonder how Canterbury would feel about this, the talk was that he was essentially retiring from the NRL.

Looks like he’s about to sign a bottom end deal at a successful club after being on their books for all sorts of money over a long time.

I imagine they'd probably feel as annoyed as we did when he went to Penrith and while he got injured, he otherwise would have walked into a premiership. That ticked me off so much and this mercenary rule really gets my goat BUT as long as it is still there, we should consider taking advantage of it.

In terms of Canterbury though, the reality is that they currently have no forward pack and a minimum wage TPJ this season would still be very helpful for them on field. Off the field is always the biggest question mark with this guy though because there is nothing between the ears and he says what he thinks with no thought of consequences and when this inevitably turns negative, he can bring impressionable young guys down with him.

I don't know how much of a fan I'm of him coming mid year I would prefer he trains in the preseason with the squad and gets back into playing and is potentially ready for rnd 1. My thoughts

That's the thing though. While he's doing his boxing thing, he can't be signed to a club. And with no contract, he can't train with the team (see the Warriors / Dragons for why). So he'll either have to train alone, or with a non-NRL team (and take his own risk with injury), and have zero opportunity to build rapport or combos with our squad.

It was a no from me earlier, even more of a hard no now.

TPJ is flighty, he signs with Brisbane to be released, 18 months early to sign with Penrith for six games to sign with the Dogs, to retire to go to boxing. What's next acting?

All three clubs know what he's like. You can't release someone then complain what they do, it's like breaking up with someone and then not liking where they work.

Broncos certainly weren't annoyed at him, Kevvie was happy to move him on culture and financially reasons. Penrith got what they wanted out of him- JFH had to leave the bubble and they needed cover. Dogs were happy for him to retire.

That's the thing, somehow, he always comes out of this shambles ok. He's somehow made a 20/20 player cameo out of the NRL.

In saying that it's been happening for a long time. Balmain scored Ellery Hanley in late July and made the Grand Final on his eight-game stop over. They were in 7th when he arrived.

I suspect we're not seeing the whole picture here. Consider:

1. The name Phil Gould
2. Tevita not fitting in at the Bulldogs
3. The Bulldogs in the shitter.
4. A very expensive contract that would **** their cap for years to pay out
5. Tevita always saying he wanted to live in Brisbane
6. We don't know why Brisbane let him go: cap strain, or because he's a problem child.
7. Who approached whom here, and whether it was just fishing.
8. If he's also talking to Wayne (who's publicly stated he wants him).

Regardless, the whole situation whiffs of a massive cap rort waiting to happen.

Mam didn’t even play, he hurt his shoulder at the state carnival. Dumbest example ever of he can play half.
Speaking of dumb: learn to spot a joke. Or irony, if you will.

Next you'll be explaining to us that Kevvie was really a halfback all along.

They would not give a shit about what he's doing now.

He was a spud on massive money... I daresay half of his 'retirement' talk was him getting tapped on the shoulder, but Gus not being able to find any club that would take a portion of his ridiculous deal.

Dogs got away with murder on that bullshit, but the NRL sit back playing deaf, dumb and blind... because a strong dogs team is good for the game.

If TPJ comes back before his original deal would've finished then dogs should have to take on some of that contract again... but realistically NRL should just not allow him to come back until his original deal expires.

It sets a bad precedent and it's only TPJ for **** sake... he's a waste of talent

I suspect we're not seeing the whole picture here. Consider:

1. The name Phil Gould
2. Tevita not fitting in at the Bulldogs
3. The Bulldogs in the shitter.
4. A very expensive contract that would **** their cap for years to pay out
5. Tevita always saying he wanted to live in Brisbane
6. We don't know why Brisbane let him go: cap strain, or because he's a problem child.
7. Who approached whom here, and whether it was just fishing.
8. If he's also talking to Wayne (who's publicly stated he wants him).

Regardless, the whole situation whiffs of a massive cap rort waiting to happen.

I want to play Constellations, I see 8 stars here and I want to connect them to make a picture of a cap rort, you need to help me out here because you know I'm buying in.

I want to play Constellations, I see 8 stars here and I want to connect them to make a picture of a cap rort, you need to help me out here because you know I'm buying in.
TPJ walked away from $750k contract for a $250k payout to become a boxer.

Dogs were able to get rid of an anchor to their salary cap that no other club wanted a bar of.

Gus probably in the ear of George Rose's promotion to guarantee a portion of his remaining $750k if he walks away and now he wants to come back a couple months later for another deal again.

Dogs also tapped Josh Jackson on the shoulder who retired to free up salary cap space... that's probably where they got the idea for TPJ from.

Here's the synopsis of TPJ, the Musical:

Guy digs a hole in shit. He digs and digs and digs. Never looking up.​
Suddenly he realizes he's dug so deep he can't get out.​
He yells to those above: "throw in more shit. Fill the hole so I can climb out."​
Then it rains. It rains piss.​
He calls for a rope.​
The rope is made of turd.​
He is drowning in piss, in a hole of shit, clinging to a rope of turd.​
He looks up and sees a smiling face.​
He recognizes the face.​
It's Wayne Bennett.​

I remember reading a way to fix up the mercenaries at least a little bit would be to only allow a team to spend a fraction of their remaining cap on a player depending on how long is left in the year when they are signed.

So with TPJ, if we want him for half the year and we have $300,000 left in the cap, we can only offer him $150,000. It seemed like a decent way to stop teams from being able to throw large amounts of money at stars for a late season boost to their finals run. There are probably some downsides to this though and if a team is willing to let a player go and another team has the money to buy them, maybe they should be allowed to spend whatever they've got

At least with the mid-season transfer deadline being brought back to June 30, we won't see as much of this stuff. Crazy to think that for the past few seasons you have been able to buy a player for the final 4 matches + finals.

I'm there!

If tpj could just run hard and tackle hard he would be a regular origin candidate. It's all this offload shit he needs to get out of his game.
Not that I want him at all, but if I did, it's the offload that makes him so dangerous. Perhaps it needs to be a bit more controlled in it's use, but an offloadless TPJ is not a TPJ I would consider signing.

Just wanted to say, I’m loving these season previews sort of riding us off because we lost Farnworth, Capewell and flegler. But they forget that Piakura is better than Capewell, Cobbo or Mariner can easily fill Herbies spot. And Willison, Te Kura, Hetherington and baker can easily fill fleglers spot. But the biggest thing they are forgetting is that this young team hasn’t hit their prime yet and it’s scary. I’m putting my money on Brisbane to get that silverware this year.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • davidp
  • john1420
  • Alec
  • johnny plath
  • Broncorob
  • azza.79
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Battler
  • phoenix
  • MrTickyMcG
  • TimWhatley
  • BruiserMk1
  • Broncs1459
  • Socnorb
  • Foordy
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.