Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

If he’s in our feeder club then why can’t we just call him into the squad after r11 or whenever it is that you’re allowed to bring in players outside of the top 30? He’s not signed at another nrl club rn.

If he’s in our feeder club then why can’t we just call him into the squad after r11 or whenever it is that you’re allowed to bring in players outside of the top 30? He’s not signed at another nrl club rn.
He is signed to Souths not the Broncos on a Qcup contract.

The Contract your thinking of would be a Train and Trial.

I don't see how the NRL impose a cap value on TPJ. It would be full of legal loopholes.

Matt Lodge was a very different example.

I don't see how the NRL impose a cap value on TPJ. It would be full of legal loopholes.

100% they can and they will. They did for Folau when he tried to sign with the eels. Remember the NRL doesn't have to register a contract and they don't want to open a can of worms like say a player joining union for a year to make 1.5 mill then sign for peanuts at the back end of the NRL year in the lead up to the finals which is exactly what the Roosters will try and do with Manu

AS @mitch222 said, they did do it with Folau. When Parra wanted to sign him, they didnt have cap space so they wanted him on a low contract for his first year and a larger one in his second year when they had more room in their cap. NRL wouldnt let them sign him for less than his market value.

I dont think TPJ has been out of the game long enough to be worth a minimal contract.

Lodge's salary avg carried through from club to club. Had he walked away and taken time away properly, i don't think it would have been an issue.

Call me naive but i don't see how the NRL enforce a value on TPJ after he played crap, took a dump on League in whole and went awol. Its all kinds of restriction of trade, fair value, fair work etc. They have no ground to enforce a prior contract.

Back with Folau Schubert was well beyond his expiry date, Folau was still a big ticket player (TPJ is washed up comparatively). From Memory Eels also wanted to back load his contract on following years - it would have pushed eels over the cap and there were no provisions back then. Mind you the Eels already had salary cap rumours dating back to 2010 by that stage.

Lodge's salary avg carried through from club to club. Had he walked away and taken time away properly, i don't think it would have been an issue.

Call me naive but i don't see how the NRL enforce a value on TPJ after he played crap, took a dump on League in whole and went awol. Its all kinds of restriction of trade, fair value, fair work etc. They have no ground to enforce a prior contract.

Back with Folau Schubert was well beyond his expiry date, Folau was still a big ticket player (TPJ is washed up comparatively). From Memory Eels also wanted to back load his contract on following years - it would have pushed eels over the cap and there were no provisions back then. Mind you the Eels already had salary cap rumours dating back to 2010 by that stage.

they can and will enforce a value on TPJ ... we all know it

what's more, it is only a restraint of trade if the court says so ... and to date, no court has ... what's more it is unlikely any court will in the near future as no one will take it that far. if someone every did and were successful, the salary cap would be gone in about 10 seconds under the same theory.

If the NRL were smart (yeah I know), they'd have the notional value rule in black and white and included as a clause in their licencing agreement with the clubs.

they can and will enforce a value on TPJ ... we all know it

what's more, it is only a restraint of trade if the court says so ... and to date, no court has ... what's more it is unlikely any court will in the near future as no one will take it that far. if someone every did and were successful, the salary cap would be gone in about 10 seconds under the same theory.

If the NRL were smart (yeah I know), they'd have the notional value rule in black and white and included as a clause in their licencing agreement with the clubs.

The salary cap is a different argument, that's the terms of trade and agreement between all clubs. Hence the RLPA. There is no rule for a TPJ situation. There is nothing for the NRL to enforce. The only rule they have is public relations and image. Given their handling of Latrell, i don't see them swinging a sledge hammer to TPJ.

Given the bulldogs being his previous employer publicly said he is fair game and wish him well - what grounds exist to enforce a contract value?

Let me give you a TRUE bold prediction:

Broncos 2024 premiership winning team:

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Baker
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Mozer
15. Willison
16. Hetherington
17. Te Kura

18. Peterson-Robati
Nothing wrong with your selections, but this isn't a balanced bench - which you already know and I'm sure it pains you. You know you have to find us an edge and someone to cover the backs. Two rookie props, a middle whose recent form has been questionable, and a pure hooker isn't ideal. The only name I have is Patston, but no one from the club seems to be talking about him. And then there's TPJ, whose card is so wild, I'd rather look the other way for now. I am reasonably confident Piakura can shift to centre (at a pinch) but someone still has to move to the edge.

On 14, I would have Billy there. Not because he beats Smoothy at dummy half, but because he's potentially more versatile.

I've been mulling this transition. And I think it's not a trivial choice to dump one of our Grand Final hookers, especially the one in better form. I see I'm no longer alone in seeing a widening gap between Smoothy and Walters at dummy half. In my opinion, Billy has only been good for a 20-25 burst in the first half. He was excellent in the finals, but less so since the first half of the GF. More recently, the team clearly lifts when Smoothy is injected, which begs the question whether 20-25 minutes is enough from this role.

Based on this, before I would consider elevating Mozer - which is inevitable - I would be switching Tyson and Billy, and bringing Billy on for the last 20. My preference, right now, based on recent form, would be to start Tyson and bench Blake. But I think if Billy can prove himself to be a handful from the bench, who can also cover an injured half, he could earn his place as a utility. So I'm not arguing with your selection of Billy, but I would have him earn it a different way.

The salary cap is a different argument, that's the terms of trade and agreement between all clubs. Hence the RLPA. There is no rule for a TPJ situation. There is nothing for the NRL to enforce. The only rule they have is public relations and image. Given their handling of Latrell, i don't see them swinging a sledge hammer to TPJ.

Given the bulldogs being his previous employer publicly said he is fair game and wish him well - what grounds exist to enforce a contract value?

I think it would open a can of worms the NRL wont want to deal with. I dont think TPJ is a $600k a year forward let alone a higher price. I just cant see the NRL though valuing him lower than that.

Nothing wrong with your selections, but this isn't a balanced bench - which you already know and I'm sure it pains you. You know you have to find us an edge and someone to cover the backs. Two rookie props, a middle whose recent form has been questionable, and a pure hooker isn't ideal. The only name I have is Patston, but no one from the club seems to be talking about him. And then there's TPJ, whose card is so wild, I'd rather look the other way for now. I am reasonably confident Piakura can shift to centre (at a pinch) but someone still has to move to the edge.

On 14, I would have Billy there. Not because he beats Smoothy at dummy half, but because he's potentially more versatile.

I've been mulling this transition. And I think it's not a trivial choice to dump one of our Grand Final hookers, especially the one in better form. I see I'm no longer alone in seeing a widening gap between Smoothy and Walters at dummy half. In my opinion, Billy has only been good for a 20-25 burst in the first half. He was excellent in the finals, but less so since the first half of the GF. More recently, the team clearly lifts when Smoothy is injected, which begs the question whether 20-25 minutes is enough from this role.

Based on this, before I would consider elevating Mozer - which is inevitable - I would be switching Tyson and Billy, and bringing Billy on for the last 20. My preference, right now, based on recent form, would be to start Tyson and bench Blake. But I think if Billy can prove himself to be a handful from the bench, who can also cover an injured half, he could earn his place as a utility. So I'm not arguing with your selection of Billy, but I would have him earn it a different way.
I think walters handles the first mins of the game pretty well its one thing to come on after the sting has gone out of the game and look good and an entirely different thing facing fresh starting forwards,smoothy may be able to handle it but it would come at a cost imo.

I think it would open a can of worms the NRL wont want to deal with. I dont think TPJ is a $600k a year forward let alone a higher price. I just cant see the NRL though valuing him lower than that.
Im not to concerned about the value over 12 months as we would likely only use him for a finals push,sign him for a short deal see how he goes attitude and fitness wise if all is well offer him a cheapie contract the following year

Im not to concerned about the value over 12 months as we would likely only use him for a finals push,sign him for a short deal see how he goes attitude and fitness wise if all is well offer him a cheapie contract the following year

The cheapie contract though would be amortised from round 16 onward iirc. We cant technically sign him as a cheapie as such in terms of a minimum wage. If we want back row cover i'm not sure we can wait until round 16 to get TPJ as that backup.

The cheapie contract though would be amortised from round 16 onward iirc. We cant technically sign him as a cheapie as such in terms of a minimum wage. If we want back row cover i'm not sure we can wait until round 16 to get TPJ as that backup.
Oh this year for sure adhere to the nominal value but for his next contract it should be fair game if he works out for us if he doesnt then no big deal part ways at the end of the year

That's not true, there are rules relating to contracts and value. Once the club submits the contract on the gateway the contract is the starting point for working out value- it is very much in Faulkner's role to work out value.

That's not true, there are rules relating to contracts and value. Once the club submits the contract on the gateway the contract is the starting point for working out value- it is very much in Faulkner's role to work out value.

Sure that's when players go from club to club and forms the auditing/compliance structure for each team. There's minimal in there on this situation.

Active Now

• dasherhalo
  • Battler
  • Swordfish
  • broncotville
  • davidp
  • Fitzy
  • Ondi
  • Foordy
  • Bronco bob
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • Waynesaurus
  • TimWhatley
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.