Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

I know we have Baker, Te Kura, Willison coming through and elevated to top 30 to fill the Flegler/Palasia void. With Bayliss not retained I feel we still need some depth in the forwards. Experience is there with Jensen and Taupau but still a little thin.

Our management are good at finding the diamond in the rough with Cup players being promoted for train and trial during the pre season so potential value for money forwards would be handy.

Just my thoughts because there aren't a lot of NRL experienced seasoned forwards on the market we won't want to break bank for.

- Bailey Butler from the Capra's if he isn't extended or in the Dolphins plans. Won the Q Cup Prop of the year.
- Nick Lui-Toso, 2022 Q Cup Prop of the year is also off contract at the Dragons.
- Eddie Blacker, former Brisbane junior seems to also be off contract at the Panthers. Surely he has a lot of upside with a wealth of knowledge behind him from the premiers.

Could do worse then try and bring some through in the pre season on train and trial.

Hosking is off-contract the same time Capewell is. We should try to get him back, he's not going to start ahead of Martin and Sorensen.
Piakura/Riki would and should be our foreseeable future on the edges. Need Capewell to keep mentoring both and slowly phase out so we can afford to keep Piakura.
We would also have to have young guys in the junior system to bring through. Hosking is 27 next season also so I think that boat may have sailed. and $ wise it wouldn't be smart when Riki/Piakura would need upgrades

And if Reyno falls off a cliff next season? It is smart to wait and and it is smart to take the opportunity when it comes up. There are very few gun 7s around and Lam is one of them. Is he as good as peak Reyno? No not yet but how long is peak Reyno going to be around for? It is a risk I believe we need to take if it even is an option.

And let's not pretend I'm pulling this from nowhere, I've been pushing for Lam for some time as my preferred option.

Super League form means absolutely nothing. especially as a playmaker. Look at Brodie Croft. Not saying Lam isn't a good player in his own right, but id much prefer Reynolds to anyone on the open market.
Also, there wouldn't be the cap to bring Lam in over clubs like the Raiders who have the coin.

Josh Rogers (if retained) along with Madden and Coby Black coming through should be fine learning under Reyno for the time being.

Transitioning Sailor aswell could be another option under the experience of Reynolds/Briers/Kev/Alf.

Super League form means absolutely nothing. especially as a playmaker. Look at Brodie Croft. Not saying Lam isn't a good player in his own right, but id much prefer Reynolds to anyone on the open market.
Also, there wouldn't be the cap to bring Lam in over clubs like the Raiders who have the coin.

Josh Rogers (if retained) along with Madden and Coby Black coming through should be fine learning under Reyno for the time being.

Transitioning Sailor aswell could be another option under the experience of Reynolds/Briers/Kev/Alf.

I don't think Lam will be super expensive because as you say, he is coming from the super league and is sort of unproven at NRL level. The Raiders have already ruled themselves out of going for him. I also suspect Brodie Croft would go MUCH better in this version of the Broncos than the one he was playing in, the team now to then is like chalk and cheese.

Obviously, Black is the long term plan but he isn't likely to be ready for 3 years from now absolute minimum and even then, for a halfback, that is banking on him developing at Cleary pace, it just does not happen that quickly for halves, look at Ilias right now and Walker earlier in the year. Look at how badly the Dogs have messed up Sandwich by throwing him in too early. Halves take time to develop, so realistically, Black is about 5 years away from being a regular first grader, probably 7-8 from dominating at best.

Reynolds has 2 years maybe left at anything near his best. In fact, in the GF, for the first time he looked really slow and of course, he was injured early so that should be factored in. I am not writing Reynolds off and I am certainly not trying to push him out the door but you watch Lam play, he is exactly the type of halfback that would compliment our weapons in Walsh and Mam and he is at an age where he can fill that 4-5 year gap between Reynolds and Black being hopefully ready.

That said, if the club is backing Madden or someone else, I will absolutely get behind them and if they want to extend Reynolds even two years, that is there right but I will be very wary after the Boyd extension debacle. Signing older players who are already showing signs of breaking down is fraught with danger. I actually hope Madden gets quite a few games next year while we manage Reynolds, we need to know if he has what it takes to take the reins of this club moving forward, if not, we need to go after someone like Lam.

I actually hope Madden gets quite a few games next year while we manage Reynolds, we need to know if he has what it takes to take the reins of this club moving forward, if not, we need to go after someone like Lam.

Agree with this, I'd be for managing Reynolds and keeping him out as needed. If he's got even a little niggle and we're playing the Tigers or Bulldogs, slot in Madden.

That said, if the club is backing Madden or someone else, I will absolutely get behind them and if they want to extend Reynolds even two years, that is there right but I will be very wary after the Boyd extension debacle. Signing older players who are already showing signs of breaking down is fraught with danger. I actually hope Madden gets quite a few games next year while we manage Reynolds, we need to know if he has what it takes to take the reins of this club moving forward, if not, we need to go after someone like Lam.

I feel our management now with Dave in charge, he would know and be wary of repeating the past mistakes with Boyd etc. All for Reynolds finishing on his own terms, he is the leader we need regardless if hes on or off the field. He may be in tip top shape entering 2024. None of us know nor him till the season begins.
I' d be all for bringing Lam in like you say. I realistically can't see it happening though. If management have gone in on keeping Madden away from the Tigers, and promoting Black to a development deal, and the rumblings of re-signing Rogers, makes no sense to spend money. Sailor also waiting in the wings at any potential role.

I know we have Baker, Te Kura, Willison coming through and elevated to top 30 to fill the Flegler/Palasia void. With Bayliss not retained I feel we still need some depth in the forwards. Experience is there with Jensen and Taupau but still a little thin.

Our management are good at finding the diamond in the rough with Cup players being promoted for train and trial during the pre season so potential value for money forwards would be handy.

Just my thoughts because there aren't a lot of NRL experienced seasoned forwards on the market we won't want to break bank for.

- Bailey Butler from the Capra's if he isn't extended or in the Dolphins plans. Won the Q Cup Prop of the year.
- Nick Lui-Toso, 2022 Q Cup Prop of the year is also off contract at the Dragons.
- Eddie Blacker, former Brisbane junior seems to also be off contract at the Panthers. Surely he has a lot of upside with a wealth of knowledge behind him from the premiers.

Could do worse then try and bring some through in the pre season on train and trial.

Blacker is coming back to Brisbane too, hopefully at the minimum one of our feeders picks him up

Jaiyden Hunt is joining the club as well and Eddie Blacker is returning to Brissy for cup so might get a train and trial. Outside of that we are no shorter than we usually are in middle forwards there is just less certainty over their abilities.

Probably excessive given we already have Oatesy as a backup but would anyone take Charlie Staines if he was available? Could be a good pickup - only 23, plenty of upside. Is from Penrith though so that'll knock him down in a few estimates.

I think Gerome Burns would be a good pick up. He's suffering away for the Jets at 6 but seems to play first receiver for most of the games.

He could be a 7 imo, late bloomer perhaps. He takes it to the line, he's has a lot of tricks in his bag with ball playing and kicking.

Maybe now Jets are with Titans he'll get a go in an NRL system for a preseason. Dont be surprised to see him somewhere.

Josh Curran is being moved on by the Warriors. I like what he brings. Right money he would be a handy pick up.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at the Storm TBH, he's the type of player Bellamy could squeeze a few seasons out of.

Has a lot of impact. Will get decent offers from Dogs, Dragons etc.

If he wasn't worried about cash and wanted success, would be real nice.

I think Gerome Burns would be a good pick up. He's suffering away for the Jets at 6 but seems to play first receiver for most of the games.

He could be a 7 imo, late bloomer perhaps. He takes it to the line, he's has a lot of tricks in his bag with ball playing and kicking.

Maybe now Jets are with Titans he'll get a go in an NRL system for a preseason. Dont be surprised to see him somewhere.

Train and trial at Dolphins and then going to Norths.

Burns played 35 U20 games for the Broncos too.

That's good news for Germone. He's too talented to be playing local A grade for Toowoomba. I'm glad the Jets happened to be a step in the right direction and not just a dead-end.

QCup might be his ceiling but at least he has an opportunity and can be an asset to an NRL system.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • broncos4life
  • Organix
  • GCBRONCO
  • dasherhalo
  • Sproj
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Harry Sack
  • Hurrijo
  • Brocko
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Midean
  • Justwin
  • broncoscope
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Brotherdu
  • Mister Wright
  • phoenix
  • Fatboy
  • Jazza
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.