Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

We will have replace him with a cheaper option. Hosking would be great. Someone will come up. A seasoned second rower is all we need not a world beater.Not ideal he leaves this year but probably the right decision to let him go
We can't "replace him." Simple as that. He's not a factory churned second rower. He's one of a kind. Unless you can think of a "cheap" premiership winning second rower who can score tries from the centres at Origin level. He also has an extraordinary passing game (better than Herbie's for comparison), and can even kick a (1) field goal.

Bottom line is: if we let him go, Kevvie will have to come up with a new bench formula that includes a centre and a relief hooker. He's never done that before.

He's only an injury or loss of form away from playing 1sts again . All this get rid of him talk is premature. Mozer is still to prove he can play week in week out . Meaning a twinge a tweak and Paix is there waiting .
Last season was an exception to the rules re injuries

On a positive note: if Capewell leaves immediately we can afford to keep Cory Paix on the books.
We've got Alf to run the water....no need for Paix.

I like the talk of Hosking as a KC replacement.......

Thanks for the memories Kurt....well played by the club. 👏

He's only an injury or loss of form away from playing 1sts again . All this get rid of him talk is premature. Mozer is still to prove he can play week in week out . Meaning a twinge a tweak and Paix is there waiting .

No it wasn't. He's played 44 NRL games in four years and 42 ISC in five years.

So his Eight ISC games and 15 NRL games was pretty much standard output.

Capewell going opens the door for Corey Oates to have a proper crack at being our 17. Have Piakura start, and Oates be a second row benchy / backup for any injuries in backline.

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Mariner
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan
BENCH: Mozer, Hetherington, Willison/Baker/Taupau, Oates

I also don't mind Carrigan going to 8 and have Hetherington start.

I think Big Del meant that last year was an anomaly last year regarding injuries to the hooking rotation (and therefore Paix was not needed for most of the second half of the season, even when fit).

I might have been joking. It's hard for me to tell.

Bottom line is: if we let him go, Kevvie will have to come up with a new bench formula that includes a centre and a relief hooker. He's never done that before.

Does he though? Do you weaken your bench on the basis of a what-if, or do you just pick the best four players for the rotation you actually intend to play.

Should we add two backs to the bench in case two starters get hurt? You adjust. Second-rower to centre isn't that uncommon, it's not like Capewell blazed that path. Riki or Piaks might not do quite as well (debatable given Capes's recent form) but you manage.

If it frees up cap that helps us longer-term, I'll take that over Capes maybe having to play centre at some point next year.

403839360 281125648263337 5176776094448006609 n

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Mariner
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan
Even just disregarding his versatility etc. are we missing an older personality around the group without Capewell?

I know the boys have alot more experience now than when we bought Reyno and Capewell but looking at that team list I can’t help but acknowledge how young it still looks.

Is it going to be too much of a burden on Reynolds being the only “older head” out on the field with them? (Not including Oates and Taupau)

Idk maybe I’m still just scarred from 2020 ahah

I think Big Del meant that last year was an anomaly last year regarding injuries to the hooking rotation (and therefore Paix was not needed for most of the second half of the season, even when fit).

Noted and apologise.

I'm saying Paix could easily be required to play 1sts . An injury or loss of form and he's a replacement for Bill or Smoothy .Mozer has played 1 game and is yet to show he can do it week in week out. That may come in time but . Right now Paix is ahead on experience alone .

Even just disregarding his versatility etc. are we missing an older personality around the group without Capewell?

I know the boys have alot more experience now than when we bought Reyno and Capewell but looking at that team list I can’t help but acknowledge how young it still looks.

Is it going to be too much of a burden on Reynolds being the only “older head” out on the field with them? (Not including Oates and Taupau)

Idk maybe I’m still just scarred from 2020 ahah

From memory, in Penrith's first GF win, I don't think they had many older players either, just Api and Capewell unless I am forgetting someone. A lot of our kids are mature beyond their years now and we still have Reyno and Walters in the 17 who are 30+. Plus Taupau, Oates and Jensen on the fringes. Additionally, we have a good core around that 25 area in Carrigan, Arthars, Baker as well. Then you have some mature depth players in Pereira and Hoeter as well.

I really rate capewell as a person and for what he brings, but there's no hiding that in the GF, Reynolds and Capewell were probably our worst two players. They are both a year older now and likely only getting worse from here on out.

As much as they helped us get to where we are and to the GF last year, I feel like if either one of those guys didn't play, we might have won. Capewell had some plain awful defence, and Reynold's decision making was confusing at best.

I'd love to have kept capewell for another year, but if moving him on allows us to keep Ezra and Walsh long term then it is definitely worth it. Riki and Piakura can both play big minutes, and we can also shift someone like Hetherington, Carrigan or even Oates out there for 20 minutes a game if need be also. We will be fine.

Capewell going opens the door for Corey Oates to have a proper crack at being our 17. Have Piakura start, and Oates be a second row benchy / backup for any injuries in backline.

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Mariner
5. Cobbo
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

I also don't mind Carrigan going to 8 and have Hetherington start.
I doubt that will happen .
He tried being a back rower before and it didn`t work . Possible but not probable is my take .

You got it .
Noted and apologise.

No probs tenner .
We don`t always see eye to . Doesn`t mean I don`t respect your input and point of view . Just that I don`t agree all the time is all .
Afterall variety is the spice of life they say .

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Fozz
  • marw
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.