Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2024

All our second row depth needs to be able to do is make their tackles and support the halves (good lateral movement in this position is essential) and can run a good line. This would get us by until the starters return.

We could/should do similar to what we did with hoskings and jensen; look at mature good performing qcup and nsw cup player bordering first grade call ups. They both turned out to be good pick ups.

All our second row depth needs to be able to do is make their tackles and support the halves (good lateral movement in this position is essential) and can run a good line. This would get us by until the starters return.

We could/should do similar to what we did with hoskings and jensen; look at mature good performing qcup and nsw cup player bordering first grade call ups. They both turned out to be good pick ups.
Plus cover centre or wing. Capewell could do that at this standard in Origin:

He's not just a depth forward:

Plus cover centre or wing. Capewell could do that at this standard in Origin:

He's not just a depth forward:

As has been said, you are not going to replace capewell with a like for like player and still achieve the salary cap relief the broncos are looking for.

Solid affordable depth is what we are looking for.

With regards to centre cover, Riki is pretty mobile and I think he could cover centre if needed with a bit of training.

As has been said, you are not going to replace capewell with a like for like player and still achieve the salary cap relief the broncos are looking for.

Solid affordable depth is what we are looking for.

With regards to centre cover, Riki is pretty mobile and I think he could cover centre if needed with a bit of training.
Well, injury cover is a big part of the picture and not one we can just sweep under the rug. I've been a consistent Riki fan, but I don't think his ball skills are in Capewell's class.

ScreenScreenshot 2023 11 28 at 17 22 12 NRL 2024 The Warriors confirm interest in Brisbane Bro

Warriors CEO Cameron George:

“Kurt is interested in what his future may look like and at this point in time, he is weighing things up. He was here on the weekend, he had a look around and he is contracted to the Broncos. Once we understand where he stands with the Broncos, then we can have further discussions. If we can be a part of that, we would love to talk with him further. That’s where we are at. We are waiting to understand what his thoughts are and we’ll go from there. A key attribute is Kurt’s leadership and experience. He is a quality footy player, he has won a premiership."​
We haven’t got to the point yet of any deals. The first thing we need to do is understand whether a player wants to relocate and if they are, then we move forward. Being in New Zealand has its challenges for signing Australian players, but there’s also a lot of upside too. We have a much better taxation system here, we don’t pay stamp duty for houses, it’s a great lifestyle and a great opportunity to raise a young family in such a great country. The footy world in New Zealand is a lot of fun, we have a lot of unique things to offer and hopefully Kurt wants to be a part of that.”​

From memory, in Penrith's first GF win, I don't think they had many older players either, just Api and Capewell unless I am forgetting someone. A lot of our kids are mature beyond their years now and we still have Reyno and Walters in the 17 who are 30+. Plus Taupau, Oates and Jensen on the fringes. Additionally, we have a good core around that 25 area in Carrigan, Arthars, Baker as well. Then you have some mature depth players in Pereira and Hoeter as well.
Don’t think Capewell was that old in 1991

Jacob Alick? Picked up qcup second rower of the year this year and PNG rep. Zero tackle says he is contracted to the titans until 24, but he does not appear on their squad list, and there is a bit of depth there with fifita, fermor, stimson etc.

Could be serviceable if riki or piakura go down for a brief period.

Jacob Alick? Picked up qcup second rower of the year this year and PNG rep. Zero tackle says he is contracted to the titans until 24, but he does not appear on their squad list, and there is a bit of depth there with fifita, fermor, stimson etc.

Could be serviceable if riki or piakura go down for a brief period.
In recent years we've been leaving a slot open in the squad if an emergency is required.

We've currently got 28 players in the Top 30 (NRL Contracts) and 3 development players (I think we can have 6 development 🤔🤔)

If Capewell does leave we'll have another spot open, but it doesn't seem like anyone is on the radar at the moment to bring in... we could promote a train and trial to development after the trials or bring someone in if injury does strike... maybe even as a loan deal.

Starting team is looking to be settled moving forward... so may not need to go on the hunt for a player and having to offer them a 2-3yr deal to be depth... unless a good option pops up.

I wonder if capes leaves this opens the door for Oates to transition Into the second row. He's fit enough and I reckon he has the skills to do it. Could he be the guy to fill multiple roles.

Even just disregarding his versatility etc. are we missing an older personality around the group without Capewell?

I know the boys have alot more experience now than when we bought Reyno and Capewell but looking at that team list I can’t help but acknowledge how young it still looks.

Is it going to be too much of a burden on Reynolds being the only “older head” out on the field with them? (Not including Oates and Taupau)

Idk maybe I’m still just scarred from 2020 ahah
Current tracking of the squad experience below... outside of Ezra and Mariner everyone likely to be in the 17 throughout the year is entering at least their 4th season in NRL squads.

- Walsh, Cobbo, Piakura, Kobe and Willison all debuted in 2021 (entering their 4th season)
- Riki entering his 5th season
- Patty entering his 6th season
- Haas and Staggs entering their 7th season

Guys like Willison and Piakura don't have a lot of games as they were Covid and injury impacted, but they've been around the squad and training full time for awhile now.

Riki, Patty, Payne and Staggs all probably get a little forgotten about experience wise, because they were early on in their careers or debuted in 2020/2021 ... and those years should just be wiped from broncos fans memories... but Payne and Staggs entering their 7th seasons is getting into serious veteran class, and Patty is nearing 100 games.

I can see a guy like Walsh becoming a real leader in 2024 as well... he already has those traits and he's got a year under his belt with broncos now, so I can see him becoming more mature and really wanting to take ownership of the result. There might be some meltdowns on the field, but I daresay he'll start to get the respect of the squad because of what he brings, and his meltdowns are more likely to do with someone missing their assignment or taking shortcuts. He seems like a guy that wants to win all the time and losing frustrates him. JT was always a competitor and showed his emotions on the field when things weren't going his way... Walsh could be the same for us moving forward.

2024 Squad2023 Squad2022 Squad2020 Squad
200 Games+Adam ReynoldsAdam ReynoldsAdam ReynoldsDarius Boyd
Martin TaupauMartin TaupauDavid MeadAlex Glenn
Corey OatesAndrew McCullough*
100-199 GamesKurt CapewellCorey OatesCorey OatesAnthony Milford
Payne HaasKurt CapewellRyan JamesCorey Oates
Kotoni StaggsJordan Kahu
60-99 GamesCorey Jensen (97 games)Payne HaasKurt CapewellJoe Ofahengaue
Patrick Carrigan (83 games)Corey JensenJamayne IsaakoJack Bird
Jordan RikiThomas FleglerBrenko LeeTevita Pangai Jr
Jesse ArtharsKotoni StaggsPayne Haas
Billy WaltersPatrick Carrigan
Reece Walsh
20-59 GamesKobe Hetherington (55 games)Herbie FarnworthCorey JensenMatt Lodge
Selwyn Cobbo (49 games)Jordan RikiThomas FleglerJamayne Isaako
Fletcher Baker (46 games)Jordan PereiraAlbert KellyBrodie Croft
Jordan PereiraJesse ArtharsTe Maire MartinDavid Fifita
Cory PaixReece WalshKotoni StaggsKotoni Staggs
Ezra MamKobe HetheringtonPatrick CarriganPayne Haas
Jock MaddenBilly WaltersJake TurpinThomas Flegler
Tesi NiuHerbie Farnworth
Keenan PalasiaJordan Pereira
Cory PaixRhys Kennedy
Selwyn CobboJordan Riki
Tyson Gamble*Tesi Niu
5-19 GamesTyson SmoothyTC RobatiCory PaixRichie Kennar
Delouise HoeterEzra MamTyson GamblePatrick Carrigan
Brendan PiakuraKobe HetheringtonJake Turpin
Xavier WillisonBilly WaltersJesse Arthars
Tristan SailorKeenan PalasiaRhys Kennedy
Deine MarinerTC RobatiSean O'Sullivan
Selwyn Cobbo
0-5 GamesBlake MozerXavier WillisonDelouise HoeterTommy Dearden
Josh RogersDeine MarinerXavier WillisonXavier Coates
Ben Te KuraBrendan PiakuraBrendan PiakuraHerbie Farnworth
Blake MozerEzra MamKeenan Palasia
Ethan Quai-WardIlikena Vudogo
Ben Te KuraCory Paix
Jamil Hopoate

Current tracking of the squad experience below... outside of Ezra and Mariner everyone likely to be in the 17 throughout the year is entering at least their 4th season in NRL squads.

- Walsh, Cobbo, Piakura, Kobe and Willison all debuted in 2021 (entering their 4th season)
- Riki entering his 5th season
- Patty entering his 6th season
- Haas and Staggs entering their 7th season

Guys like Willison and Piakura don't have a lot of games as they were Covid and injury impacted, but they've been around the squad and training full time for awhile now.

Riki, Patty, Payne and Staggs all probably get a little forgotten about experience wise, because they were early on in their careers or debuted in 2020/2021 ... and those years should just be wiped from broncos fans memories... but Payne and Staggs entering their 7th seasons is getting into serious veteran class, and Patty is nearing 100 games.

I can see a guy like Walsh becoming a real leader in 2024 as well... he already has those traits and he's got a year under his belt with broncos now, so I can see him becoming more mature and really wanting to take ownership of the result. There might be some meltdowns on the field, but I daresay he'll start to get the respect of the squad because of what he brings, and his meltdowns are more likely to do with someone missing their assignment or taking shortcuts. He seems like a guy that wants to win all the time and losing frustrates him. JT was always a competitor and showed his emotions on the field when things weren't going his way... Walsh could be the same for us moving forward.

2024 Squad2023 Squad2022 Squad2020 Squad
200 Games+Adam ReynoldsAdam ReynoldsAdam ReynoldsDarius Boyd
Martin TaupauMartin TaupauDavid MeadAlex Glenn
Corey OatesAndrew McCullough*
100-199 GamesKurt CapewellCorey OatesCorey OatesAnthony Milford
Payne HaasKurt CapewellRyan JamesCorey Oates
Kotoni StaggsJordan Kahu
60-99 GamesCorey Jensen (97 games)Payne HaasKurt CapewellJoe Ofahengaue
Patrick Carrigan (83 games)Corey JensenJamayne IsaakoJack Bird
Jordan RikiThomas FleglerBrenko LeeTevita Pangai Jr
Jesse ArtharsKotoni StaggsPayne Haas
Billy WaltersPatrick Carrigan
Reece Walsh
20-59 GamesKobe Hetherington (55 games)Herbie FarnworthCorey JensenMatt Lodge
Selwyn Cobbo (49 games)Jordan RikiThomas FleglerJamayne Isaako
Fletcher Baker (46 games)Jordan PereiraAlbert KellyBrodie Croft
Jordan PereiraJesse ArtharsTe Maire MartinDavid Fifita
Cory PaixReece WalshKotoni StaggsKotoni Staggs
Ezra MamKobe HetheringtonPatrick CarriganPayne Haas
Jock MaddenBilly WaltersJake TurpinThomas Flegler
Tesi NiuHerbie Farnworth
Keenan PalasiaJordan Pereira
Cory PaixRhys Kennedy
Selwyn CobboJordan Riki
Tyson Gamble*Tesi Niu
5-19 GamesTyson SmoothyTC RobatiCory PaixRichie Kennar
Delouise HoeterEzra MamTyson GamblePatrick Carrigan
Brendan PiakuraKobe HetheringtonJake Turpin
Xavier WillisonBilly WaltersJesse Arthars
Tristan SailorKeenan PalasiaRhys Kennedy
Deine MarinerTC RobatiSean O'Sullivan
Selwyn Cobbo
0-5 GamesBlake MozerXavier WillisonDelouise HoeterTommy Dearden
Josh RogersDeine MarinerXavier WillisonXavier Coates
Ben Te KuraBrendan PiakuraBrendan PiakuraHerbie Farnworth
Blake MozerEzra MamKeenan Palasia
Ethan Quai-WardIlikena Vudogo
Ben Te KuraCory Paix
Jamil Hopoate
Yeah when you put it like that haha, if you just look at their age you forget how long they’ve been around now

Active Now

• Sproj
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Justwin
  • Brotherdu
  • Mister Wright
  • GCBRONCO
  • phoenix
  • Fatboy
  • Jazza
  • broncos4life
  • I bleed Maroon
  • barker
  • Broncos Maestro
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Maddy
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.